New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift Blacking Out and/or Audio Crackling

ThurboThurbo Posts: 6
NerveGear
I've been having this issue for a few weeks and am absolutely dumbfounded as to what could be causing it. I've been troubleshooting it, made numerous changes to software and hardware, but absoluely nothing fixes it.

What makes this so puzzling is that the problems this issue causes are totally inconsistent. Sometimes, the Rift starts blacking out randomly, maybe only for a few seconds, maybe completely until I replug the USB cable (it either only blacks out or it blacks out and shows TV static, sometimes I can see flashing lights at the top of the headset). Sometimes, the audio crackles constantly. Sometimes, it's both.
Some days, the headset works completely fine. Other days, it may work fine for half an hour and then the issues occur. Other days, the issues start right away. Some days the issues are more frequent and more severe, other days they only occur once in a while.

I'm clueless and need help. I wish I could tell you everything I've tried but like I said, it's been going on for weeks and I haven't noted all the combinations of things I did to try and solve it.

Mobo: Asus B85M-E
CPU: Intel i5 4690-K
GPU: GTX 980 Ti
Rift Sensors and Headset connected via USB 3.0 extension cords and an HDMI extension cord. The issue persists whether I use the extension cords for the headset or not, or whether I plug it into a USB 2.0 port or a USB 3.0 port.

Comments

• lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 295
    Nexus 6
    I've also had this for about a week now. Rift is about two and a half years old. Never had any problems except for an earpiece failing that was replaced by oculus. I'm also getting the random blackouts and a brief 'white noise' screen. Haven't had any audio crackles tho'. 
    Tried all the usual suspects...drivers up to date, checked cable connections and monitored CPU and GPU temps but nothing suspicious found. I also did a memory test..all clear.
    Some days I can game for an hour session with no problems, then the next day I can be a couple of minutes into a seated experience and the blackouts kick in.
    I'm planning on getting the new Rift s, so I'm not overly worried, but it would be good to sort out the problem so I can sell the Rift in good working order.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 585
    Neo
    edited April 20
    Grab a PCI-E 3.0 USB card for your PC, i had the very same issue with the Rift way back in 2017 when i first got it, unfortunatly the Rift just does not get along with a large variety of Mobo's and their USB ports, but a USB card sorted all that out, never had that issue appear again, i bought the Inatech 4 ports superspeed USB card that connects directly to your PSU, so no power supply issues......all still working great.

Oh and a little bit of extension cable advice, the Rift, no matter how you connect it, can also be very picky on extension cables, so here are the cables that i have used with no issues for the past 2 years, in case you need said info.

6 feet 2.0 HDMI cable, with 4k HDMI repeater attached to the Rift end, works perfectly.
    (i found that more than 6 feet and i would get issues, athough if you require longer then you will need to seek out others have found nore than 6 feet cables that work)

9 feet amazon basic USB 3.0 cable, no issues, works perfect.
    (although as of late i had to change that to a 6 feet amazon basic cable not because of the Rift, bur because my WMR headset, that i swap between, had issues with the audio that was being caused by said 9 feet USB cable, but that has since gone with with a smaller amazon basic 6 feet cable.
    Nexus 6
    Cheers for the advice, but the Rift has been working perfectly for nearly three years with my current rig.
    Neo
    That was mean't for the OP. ;)

But on your problem the blackouts usually are either connection or power supply issue........do you use any extension cables?
    Nexus 6
    Ah..no problem :)
    Yes, I use extensions, just one metre length. The real puzzle is why after all this time the blackouts have started. I've got a Corsair 750 watt modular power supply, so I would think that should be ok.
  • AppaloosaHorseAppaloosaHorse Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    I had this exact issue and after trouble shooting with CS it turns out it was the cable running from the rift.  I always place my rift in the same place when not in use and over the years where the cable came from it's mounting, it had crimped. I found that if i wiggled the cable where it exited the headband, the rift would go black or sometimes would show snow and flicker.  Oculus suggested getting a new cable which fixed the problem entirely.

I bought some cable wrap to reinforce the cable so that it can not bend so sharply. I am hoping this will make the cable last longer without crimping.  The HMD is 3 years old and this is the only problem it has had and was proper fixed with their replacement cable.

Nexus 6
    I had this exact issue and after trouble shooting with CS it turns out it was the cable running from the rift.  I always place my rift in the same place when not in use and over the years where the cable came from it's mounting, it had crimped. I found that if i wiggled the cable where it exited the headband, the rift would go black or sometimes would show snow and flicker.  Oculus suggested getting a new cable which fixed the problem entirely.

I bought some cable wrap to reinforce the cable so that it can not bend so sharply. I am hoping this will make the cable last longer without crimping.  The HMD is 3 years old and this is the only problem it has had and was proper fixed with their replacement cable.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that may be the problem. Kind of annoying to spend out for the cable when I'll probably be getting the Rift s as soon as it is launched. Thanks for the advice :)
    Nexus 6
    #Thurbo,  how long have you had your Rift?
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,878 Valuable Player
    edited April 20
    It's the cable.  I have two Rifts.  One of them has a bad ribbon cable and it damaged the IR lights on the back of the headset but the cable between the HMD and the PC was fine.  My other rift started doing exactly what you describe, white noise (TV Static) and blackouts.  I swapped out cables from my other unit and the problems went away 100% instantly.  I need to pick up another cable, Watch them remove the cable from the list when the Rift S comes out.  This is soley dictated on weather or not I purchase that cable, that seems to be the way it usually works.
  • ThurboThurbo Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    #Thurbo,  how long have you had your Rift?
    Since December 2018.
    The cables aren't visibly bent, though, which is in part because of the extension cables. It's all flat on the ground. The only place I could see it becoming bent is where it runs through the straps on the headset, which would be a really silly design flaw if that's the case.
    OmegaM4N said:
    Grab a PCI-E 3.0 USB card for your PC, i had the very same issue with the Rift way back in 2017 when i first got it, unfortunatly the Rift just does not get along with a large variety of Mobo's and their USB ports, but a USB card sorted all that out, never had that issue appear again, i bought the Inatech 4 ports superspeed USB card that connects directly to your PSU, so no power supply issues......all still working great.

Oh and a little bit of extension cable advice, the Rift, no matter how you connect it, can also be very picky on extension cables, so here are the cables that i have used with no issues for the past 2 years, in case you need said info.

6 feet 2.0 HDMI cable, with 4k HDMI repeater attached to the Rift end, works perfectly.
    (i found that more than 6 feet and i would get issues, athough if you require longer then you will need to seek out others have found nore than 6 feet cables that work)
    I already have an Inateck card that gets its power from the PSU, but that makes no difference.
    Maybe I do need to try different cables. The whole issue is so difficult to troubleshoot because many days there's just no problem at all so I don't understand how it could be an issue with the cables to begin with. That's also why, for the longest time, I've been clinging onto troubleshooting the software side of things. The distance of my computer to my play space makes it impossible to play standing without extensions, so at most I could try playing seated games for extended periods of time and take note if the issues ever occur when the cables are directly connected to my computer.

If it turns out to be the extension cable causing issues, do you think getting a repeater would help? For the record, this is the cable I got: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01D5H91KE/ which I chose based on customer reviews saying it worked perfectly with their Rift. I didn't have much else to go with.

Is there any way something could cause interference with the data transfer from the extension cable, perhaps? Which would maybe explain why the issues sometimes occur and sometimes not?
    Neo
    edited April 21
    ^^Yeap, i bought the very same cable and it too was causing blackout and white screen noise, and i only bought the 6 feet version, and that still gave issues, so replaced it with a simple 4 feet certified high speed 4k HDMI cable and that 4k repeater.......and have never had any issue over the last few years with it. ;)

Although i think i might buy a normal male to male 6 feet HDMI 4k certified cable and see if those work, as it would now match my 6 feet USB cable that i had to grab recently for the WMR headset, i will let you know. ;)
    Nexus 6
    Well, I just ordered a new Headset cable...good grief! Fifty Quid! I'll report back if it does the trick. If it doesn't I'll just park the Rift and wait for the 'S'
    Neo
    ^^Well hopefully it gets your rift back to square one, fingered crossed. ;)
    NerveGear
    I've had a few half hour seated sessions with the HDMI cable connected directly to the GPU and the USB cable to the extension cable and so far no blackouts. I'm getting the other cable and hope that fixes it then.
    I still don't understand how a cable can have inconsistent performance like that.
    Nexus 6
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^Well hopefully it gets your rift back to square one, fingered crossed. ;)
    Cheers :)  BTW what was the HDMI repeater you used?
    Nexus 6
    Brilliant #OmegaM4N.
    Thank you :)
    Nexus 6
    Ok..update to my problem. Received my new headset cable from Oculus this morning. Swapped the cable and plugged everything back in (existing extension cables still in place)...and....nothing! Shows 'connected' in devices but no video in headset. Replace old cable and video comes back on..hmm. Re-connect new cable.... nothing. So I pulled the extension cables and connected Rift directly to PC. Both cables now deliver video to the Headset. So, go figure. I assume the problem is the extension cables but why are they working ok with the old cable and not the new?
    I'm waiting delivery of some replacement extension cables and repeater as kindly suggested by OmegaM4N and I'll do some longer tests to see if that finally resolves the intermittent original display problem.
    Cheers, Dave.
    Neo
    edited April 24
    ^^Well at least you know now it is not the Rift, which is the best outcome, but yeah the Rift can work fine with a cable then one day it no longer works, but i think you should be fine with those new cables and that repeater, i have been using them last two years on the rift with no issues.

And why don't you contact Oculus and return that £50 CV1 cable, seeing as you don't need it, worth a try.
    NerveGear
    edited April 25
    I bought the cable recommended in this video:
    (5:26; YT timestamps don't seem to work in this forum??)
    So far no blackouts, hope it stays that way. I suppose either the Amazon cable wasn't suited for the Rift (despite customer reviews claiming it was) or the length was the problem, as this new cable is only 2 meters, whereas the Amazon cable I got was 3 meters but is also available as a 2 meters cable.
    Nexus 6
    Pleased you got it working Thurbo :)
    Hopefully when I get my new extensions I'll have similar luck. I'm still puzzled why my new Rift cable wouldn't work with the old extension but the old one would.
    Nexus 6
    Quick update. I installed new extension cables and repeater. So far no blackouts..seems that did the trick :)
    Cheers for everyone's advice.
    Dave
    Neo
    ^^Good news....let the VR gaming commence. ;)