XTAL Headset pricey but........ — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

XTAL Headset pricey but........

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,518 Volunteer Moderator

Interesting but damn expensive.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,135 Volunteer Moderator
    (Probably not the most helpful thread title)

• dburnedburne Posts: 1,973 Valuable Player
    I just don't think I could bear watching another review by him - nothing personal.
    Does not matter as I would never spend that kind of moolah on a VR headset anyways.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,245
    Wintermute
    Makes me optimistic about the Index since it seems things can be greatly improved with lenses.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited April 20
    pyroth309 said:
    Makes me optimistic about the Index since it seems things can be greatly improved with lenses.
    For me - its not that Index has hope - but that VR still might have some basic changes that it can do to improve what we have now without having to go to the extreams of Eye tracking. I wasn't expecting a simple lens change to really improve quality that much anymore and that Oculus lenses were kind of the top design for VR. Just goes to show that there are many changes still we can take to get a bit more performance and quality out of what we have before going onto the next.

1) I think we will see a shift from 90 HZ down to a lower HZ range to better get performance 45-70-80, but we will still see 90/120 as the next "gaming" monitor in terms of smoothness much like we see 60, 72, 120, 240 monitors today.

2) Removing the need for higher target render in terms of rendering more native to the screens by removing the need to do extream lens warping. Still optional - but just wont be required to get a good image anymore and that means less work per frame.

3) Plus we still have all the software tricks coming down the pipe line by rendering more true to the screens that further require less work to correct for the lens warping it self. 

That be a 20-30% improvement alone if we apply these changes. With another 5-20% from the GPU still from:

4) VSR that will be used for static FOVA apply to higher FOV HMD around the edges.

5) VSR will also be used to for focus point - much like eye tracking FOVA - help on more areas to increase quality while lowering the quality of what we are not focus on. This is not as good of a method - but something that could be done a lot easier as it just needs to know where you are facing vs where your eyes are.

Granted - some of this might not work forever for older generation of video cards - but it would open the doors going forward from 1050tis down to 970s and just keeps it there going forward for HMD's much like Rift S even if they increase resolution, FOV, and other core numbers until eye tracking became cheap enough. Higher end headsets users would just have the choice for performance or quality depending on their needs and wants. Eye tracking at that point will just improve how VSR works - might get another 10% (30% total) out of the headset, but still would be enough to knock so much performance off and open the doors to these headsets being no more demanding than today monitors while looking very close to what we have today.
This discussion has been closed.