New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Explains Why It Doesn’t Think the Time is Right for ‘Rift 2’ or ‘Rift Pro’

12346»

Comments

  • KoBak07KoBak07 Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    KoBak07 said:
    I don't see what I would be cherry-picking. You said:

    After 3 years of PCVR, the market has told the world that it needs something other than high-end hardware if someone wants to acquire 10's of millions of consumers. And now Oculus is filling that Void with Quest and Rift-S. So you are correct in your statement, but you are applying it completely wrong.

    I was just agreeing that the Quest fills a void, while questioning that argument that the Rift S will be silver bullet that magically get the masses into VR, at least on the PC.

    Our main discussion is over PCVR, and there is a void that hasn't been filled by any company yet: getting mass PCVR adoption. History shows that aiming at high-end hardware isn't the right way to go, as proven by the business models for both Pimax and HTC. So if you can agree that Quest is filling a mass market void as a stand-alone VR Kit, then you should be able to see how Rift-S will entice the mass market that wants more than a stand-alone VR Kit. Those being consumers who want to play Fallout, Skyrim, and other high-end titles that require a PC but don't want the headache that comes with physical tracking cameras (thus requiring a dedicate VR Room for a 3-4 sensor setup).


    How long do you expect this momentary timeout to be? 1, 2, 3, 5 years?

    They made it this far after 3 years, so we can reasonably expect 2-3 years so that they can actually analyze the market and industry indicators. They need at least 1 year of sales to pass and another to analyze, strategize, and execute. Pretty common in the business world.

    Deep down I still hope that they succeed with getting more people on, as we need a larger install base. But having to wait another three years stuck at the current visuals, if you would want to stay on their platform sucks bad. There will be probably two more GPU generations in that timeframe, and even if the performance increase is only like Turing, there is nothing to take advantage of those resources from O.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,599 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @bigmike20vt - I see what you are getting at but if I was that reviewer I would have said upgrade. Because the Godrays have just about gone the screen door effect is hardly visible and the visuals look much sharper then the current CV1. He mentioned all these things and then says you don't need to update your CV1.

    I mean, no shit Sherlock. I know I don't have to upgrade, but all what you have just said in your review makes me think I should upgrade, but you say it's not necessary without saying why it's not necessary? Your review has been really positive about Rift -S and then you finish by saying you don't need to update?

    Ben from Road to VR saying that it's just a notch below the Vive Pro in terms of clarity has me convinced that I need to upgrade to it (assuming that the Valve Index is off the table for me of course!).
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,599 Valuable Player
    I'm not too worried about the black levels either because the black levels of the Rift aren't great either so it should be quite easy to adjust to it I think.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,115 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    I'm not too worried about the black levels either because the black levels of the Rift aren't great either so it should be quite easy to adjust to it I think.

    Yeah deep blacks for some game are bad because you can't see background objects you are supposed to see in games. The deep blacks are great for Space games though.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,417 Valuable Player
    KoBak07 said:
    Deep down I still hope that they succeed with getting more people on, as we need a larger install base. But having to wait another three years stuck at the current visuals, if you would want to stay on their platform sucks bad. There will be probably two more GPU generations in that timeframe, and even if the performance increase is only like Turing, there is nothing to take advantage of those resources from O.

    I do agree that "waiting sucks." I am not thrilled about waiting for a serious hardware upgrade. But I, personally, am not limited to just the Oculus platform. I will happily buy a competitor (e.g. Valve Index) if they can release something that's actually worth a sheit. Vive Pro, Pimax 5K/8K, and WMR all force me to take a step "down" when it comes to hand-controllers. I just won't do it.

    Valve Index may be a worthwhile competitor, we'll see at release. But I refuse to replace the sexy sleek Touch Controllers with Bulky wands and ridiculously over-sized Knuckles. Especially since I'd be doing it just to play the same damn titles that's already available. No other platform has any real exclusives to warrant the downgrade.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,807 Volunteer Moderator

    @ParadoxAnomoly , I see you're getting braver and moving away from just posting memes.

    You'll soon be back to your old ways of blaming Oculus for everything including the demise of your dog.

    Intel 5820K [email protected]Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,599 Valuable Player

    @ParadoxAnomoly , I see you're getting braver and moving away from just posting memes.

    You'll soon be back to your old ways of blaming Oculus for everything including the demise of your dog.


    No. Oculus killed his family and raped his dog, not the other way around. But either one happening is quite serious so you can understand both your confusion and his obsession.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,374 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @bigmike20vt - I see what you are getting at but if I was that reviewer I would have said upgrade. Because the Godrays have just about gone the screen door effect is hardly visible and the visuals look much sharper then the current CV1. He mentioned all these things and then says you don't need to update your CV1.

    I mean, no shit Sherlock. I know I don't have to upgrade, but all what you have just said in your review makes me think I should upgrade, but you say it's not necessary without saying why it's not necessary? Your review has been really positive about Rift -S and then you finish by saying you don't need to update?
    I like you don't understand it. It makes them sound incompetent. Wait they are incompetent.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,599 Valuable Player
    I'm incompetent and proud of it!!!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2019

    @ParadoxAnomoly , I see you're getting braver and moving away from just posting memes.

    You'll soon be back to your old ways of blaming Oculus for everything including the demise of your dog.


    I blame Oculus for everything, especially the demise of my dog called Luckey.


  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,599 Valuable Player
    I'm just surprised you keep coming back to a forum you're banned from Atmos. This is the second time you've come back. :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    snowdog said:
    I'm just surprised you keep coming back to a forum you're banned from Atmos. This is the second time you've come back. :o
    Me Atmos? I thought KoBak07 was Atmos. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,807 Volunteer Moderator
    In all seriousness, why not stick with AV Forum... was there a problem there?
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,717 Valuable Player
    Puppy Power!
    WAAAGH!
  • KoBak07KoBak07 Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    snowdog said:
    I'm just surprised you keep coming back to a forum you're banned from Atmos. This is the second time you've come back. :o
    Me Atmos? I thought KoBak07 was Atmos. 
    Sorry for the off topic, but who is Atmos?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,505 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    KoBak07 said:
    snowdog said:
    I'm just surprised you keep coming back to a forum you're banned from Atmos. This is the second time you've come back. :o
    Me Atmos? I thought KoBak07 was Atmos. 
    Sorry for the off topic, but who is Atmos?
    Banned Vive enthusiast/Oculus detractor who used to frequent this forum and has returned now under a new name. Forum history here.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,599 Valuable Player
    KoBak07 said:
    snowdog said:
    I'm just surprised you keep coming back to a forum you're banned from Atmos. This is the second time you've come back. :o
    Me Atmos? I thought KoBak07 was Atmos. 
    Sorry for the off topic, but who is Atmos?

    A poor individual who has an anti-Oculus agenda after Oculus killed his family and raped his dog. He was perma-banned a while back and counting this time is on his third account after his first two were banned.

    Believe me, it won't take long for mods to lose patience with him and ban him a third time. He's a nasty piece of work.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • KoBak07KoBak07 Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    snowdog said:
    KoBak07 said:
    snowdog said:
    I'm just surprised you keep coming back to a forum you're banned from Atmos. This is the second time you've come back. :o
    Me Atmos? I thought KoBak07 was Atmos. 
    Sorry for the off topic, but who is Atmos?

    A poor individual who has an anti-Oculus agenda after Oculus killed his family and raped his dog. He was perma-banned a while back and counting this time is on his third account after his first two were banned.

    Believe me, it won't take long for mods to lose patience with him and ban him a third time. He's a nasty piece of work.
    Well, I don't have a son, or a dog.

    I also far from having an agenda against FB Oculus, however I am definitely not jumping from joy that their only entry for PCVR
  • KoBak07KoBak07 Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    KoBak07 said:
    Deep down I still hope that they succeed with getting more people on, as we need a larger install base. But having to wait another three years stuck at the current visuals, if you would want to stay on their platform sucks bad. There will be probably two more GPU generations in that timeframe, and even if the performance increase is only like Turing, there is nothing to take advantage of those resources from O.

    I do agree that "waiting sucks." I am not thrilled about waiting for a serious hardware upgrade. But I, personally, am not limited to just the Oculus platform. I will happily buy a competitor (e.g. Valve Index) if they can release something that's actually worth a sheit. Vive Pro, Pimax 5K/8K, and WMR all force me to take a step "down" when it comes to hand-controllers. I just won't do it.

    Valve Index may be a worthwhile competitor, we'll see at release. But I refuse to replace the sexy sleek Touch Controllers with Bulky wands and ridiculously over-sized Knuckles. Especially since I'd be doing it just to play the same damn titles that's already available. No other platform has any real exclusives to warrant the downgrade.
    More or less I am in the same boat. I wanted to avoid having to mess with connecting and disconnecting headsets all the time. For other than sims, the Touch controllers are miles ahead of all others currently on the market.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,599 Valuable Player
    KoBak07 said:
    snowdog said:
    KoBak07 said:
    snowdog said:
    I'm just surprised you keep coming back to a forum you're banned from Atmos. This is the second time you've come back. :o
    Me Atmos? I thought KoBak07 was Atmos. 
    Sorry for the off topic, but who is Atmos?

    A poor individual who has an anti-Oculus agenda after Oculus killed his family and raped his dog. He was perma-banned a while back and counting this time is on his third account after his first two were banned.

    Believe me, it won't take long for mods to lose patience with him and ban him a third time. He's a nasty piece of work.
    Well, I don't have a son, or a dog.

    I also far from having an agenda against FB Oculus, however I am definitely not jumping from joy that their only entry for PCVR

    I wasn't referring to you, I was answering your question by telling you who Atmos is :)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,417 Valuable Player
    So, back on topic,

    I think this meme puts things in perspective in to where Oculus is driving their strategy and, despite a lack of high-end HMD being released at the moment, their existing hardware and software lineup is unparalleled.


    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,424 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    You may need to add another page where he is unshaven, black rings under the eyes and staring open mouthed at the index order screen. :) Title premature headsetulation.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,417 Valuable Player

    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Sign In or Register to comment.