New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Facebook F8 event Discussion Megathread

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
edited April 2019 in General

Hey folks you know the drill, F8 is happening, this thread is for all the discussions, updates and news from the event.

Facebook is set to release both the Quest and Rift S at the event.

The event will be live streamed and can be watched here:
UPDATE: NEW LINK TO WATCH: https://www.facebook.com/pg/FacebookforDevelopers/videos/

Here are the times for the live stream:
San Francisco: 10AM
London 6:00 PM
New York: 1:00 PM
Moscow: 8:00 PM
Berlin 7:00 PM 
Tokyo (May 1st) 2:00 AM
Melbourne (May 1st) 3:00AM
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,854 Volunteer Moderator
    Cheers LZ 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,157 Valuable Player
    Going to be interesting.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,940 Volunteer Moderator

Seems the F8 page has removed the count down (or their broken time zone support means it thinks the conference is over for australians) so here's a count down:

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:

Seems the F8 page has removed the count down (or their broken time zone support means it thinks the conference is over for australians) so here's a count down:

It's streamed in two locations yeah.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,330
    Project 2501

Am I being daft, I can't see United Kingdom on that link?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    VR Oasis has just gone live on the tube
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Am I being daft, I can't see United Kingdom on that link?
    They changed it, link now is

https://www.facebook.com/pg/FacebookforDevelopers/videos/

Facebook only ? Damn

Non Facebook users =

It's a 1.5 hour keynote and following it is a VR talk, so I'm guessing any oculus stuff will be at the end.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Yeah Zuck is droning on now.

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,504 Oculus Start Member
    kojack said:
    It's a 1.5 hour keynote and following it is a VR talk, so I'm guessing any oculus stuff will be at the end.
    Or tomorrow.. Or this F8 isn't big on VR at all :/
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 5,002 Valuable Player
    Oh God it must be awful to work there.  Do they have to whoop every time they see a colleague?
    "We can block anybody who disagrees with us"

"whoop, whoop"

Sorry for being miserable, I'll be back in an hour.
    "We can block anybody who disagrees with us"

"whoop, whoop"

Sorry for being miserable, I'll be back in an hour.
    Or don't come back at all with your conspiracy theories... 
    Lets keep this talk to F8 and VR announcements and not take digs. Thanks.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,703 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    Oh God it must be awful to work there.  Do they have to whoop every time they see a colleague?
    I have a close friend who works there, and I hear nothing but great things. But you have to remember that this is a room of "geeks" and "nerds" so this is quite common. Have you ever been to a tech or gaming event? The cheesy shouts happen all the time. Go to a Magic: The Gathering event to see some real frightening whoops.

But uh yeah, stop hating people for being happy lol

Anywho,

30 minutes in and I love the new Facebook web page overhaul that is coming. They are completely re-writing Facebook from scratch.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Damn it, I just started listening to some chap hop and I see an oculus logo. Guess I need to unmute again.

Yes! VR Talk has begun.
    OMG, both are the same price: $399

And everyone who attended F8 Gets a free Quest. FML
    Zenbane said:
    I have a close friend who works there, and I hear nothing but great things. But you have to remember that this is a room of "geeks" and "nerds" so this is quite common. Have you ever been to a tech or gaming event? The cheesy shouts happen all the time. Go to a Magic: The Gathering event to see some real frightening whoops.

But uh yeah, stop hating people for being happy lol

Anywho,

30 minutes in and I love the new Facebook web page overhaul that is coming. They are completely re-writing Facebook from scratch.

This is my smiley face

Damn, i don't want to wait that long!
    Ordered the Quest - you beauty!

Now the wait...
    $649au for quest and rift-s, $799au for quest 128gb.

Considering I only use my Go for dev at work and I've never filled it's 32GB, I might go for the 64GB quest.
    So if they are giving a quest to F* attendees .. I am sure they will be giving one to the mods too right? RIGHT?

*cries in corner*

@WilliamVR it's TRUE isn't it, us mods get a free quest and rift s?   :D

Project 2501
    Don't be jealous! haha
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    So if they are giving a quest to F* attendees .. I am sure they will be giving one to the mods too right? RIGHT?

*cries in corner*

Sounds like it would be fair to give Quest to Oculus Start members too  ;)
    Project 2501
    BTW guys, do we get any free games with Rift S? On the back of the box it shows Defector, Stormland, Asgard's Wrath etc, do they come with Rift S? Is there any confirmation of this yet? There was like 5 games on the back of the box?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,314 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    Ordered. 

Thank you!

Your order number is 613X242157XXXX

I think my other headset is going to be the HP Reverb.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.