New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Facebook F8 event Discussion Megathread

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,503 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Oh God it must be awful to work there.  Do they have to whoop every time they see a colleague?
    I have a close friend who works there, and I hear nothing but great things. But you have to remember that this is a room of "geeks" and "nerds" so this is quite common. Have you ever been to a tech or gaming event? The cheesy shouts happen all the time. Go to a Magic: The Gathering event to see some real frightening whoops.

But uh yeah, stop hating people for being happy lol

Anywho,

30 minutes in and I love the new Facebook web page overhaul that is coming. They are completely re-writing Facebook from scratch.

I do take offence whenever anyone calls developers geeks or nerds. Now if you'll excuse me I need to bid on a Power Glove on Ebay.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    The Facrbook stream died for some reason during the Instagram bit.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    snowdog said:
    The Facrbook stream died for some reason during the Instagram bit.
    I just refreshed ! ?
    Be good, die great !
    Yup, got it going again. No free Oculus Quests for Oculus Start members though, unless I missed it? :(

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,421 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:
    So if they are giving a quest to F* attendees .. I am sure they will be giving one to the mods too right? RIGHT?

*cries in corner*

Well, the attendees did have to pay $595 to go.
    All we have paid is years of free labor and having to act polite when we want to tell people we think they are actually... umm, better not finish that.

Hmm, so Facebook is giving one redditor a free Quest because he said he'd eat a sock.

Glad to see the important people are rewarded. :)

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Hahaha yeah .... oh well .. we knew this was a thankless job, but someone has got to do it :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,532 Valuable Player
    Well I caved, pre-ordered the Rift S.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 350
    Trinity
    Yeah...Rift S is looking the best of the bunch for my needs at the moment...pre-ordered too
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    I ordered the Rift S on Amazon. Still deciding about Quest, maybe I'll get that later on. In any case, I spent the morning camped out at Best Buy on the hopes that they would launch today. Got there about 30 minutes before opening and chilled in my car. After getting in the store they told me there were setting up the Rift display, so it looked like they might have had some inventory, but alas it was just non-working display units and none for sale. Oh well.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    edited April 2019
    I was going to wait for Valve Index but I'm too excited so I've decided to pre-order too. Does anybody know the best place for me to order in the UK?

EDIT: And do we get any free games with Rift S like we did with our Rift CV1?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Wintermute
    EDIT: And do we get any free games with Rift S like we did with our Rift CV1?
    Ive been looking around for rift-s/Quest bundles info. No luck so far.
    Be good, die great !
    Wintermute
    Found this for Quest:

Our launch lineup includes 50+ titles that run the gamut from fast-paced shooters to pass-and-play social games. Your Quest comes pre-loaded with five exciting preview demos you can play right out of the box:

• Beat Saber (Beat Games): Keep the beat as you slash through the cubes. This demo includes a tutorial and two songs in different difficulty levels.
    • Creed (Survios): Become Adonis Creed, fighting to establish your legacy in the ring and beyond. In this demo, you’ll have one match to face off against a challenger in the ring.
    • Journey of the Gods (Turtle Rock Studios): Play as human or god as you collect items, earn upgrades, and fight foes in this visually stunning title. With three difficulty levels, this demo features condensed versions of the tutorial and first boss fight.
    • Space Pirate Trainer (I-Illusions): Fight off relentless waves of droids with all the weapons and gadgets you'd ever need as a Space Pirate. This demo lets you play through the first action-packed wave and challenge the first boss.
    • Sports Scramble (Armature): A zany, fast-paced twist on traditional sports, this demo lets you play a tennis match against either an AI opponent or your friends and family in two-player online multiplayer.
    Demos only it seems .

Be good, die great !
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,212 Valuable Player
    $700CDN for the Quest!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

WAY overpriced.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:

WAY overpriced.
    Woah, that's like... *consults google* ... a whole $135CDN above the actual conversion rate?  (Assuming you're looking at the base model and not the one that's $500USD?)

Did something bad happen to Zuckerberg the last time he was in Canada, or something?  You always seem to get it rough when it comes to pricing. 
    :confused:   
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,212 Valuable Player
    CrashFu said:
    Digikid1 said:

WAY overpriced.
    Woah, that's like... *consults google* ... a whole $135CDN above the actual conversion rate?  (Assuming you're looking at the base model and not the one that's $500USD?)

Did something bad happen to Zuckerberg the last time he was in Canada, or something?  You always seem to get it rough when it comes to pricing. 
    :confused:   
    I was looking at the 128GB version thank you.....and the Oculus site detects what country you're in and gives you the price in that countries currency...

And if something bad did happen to ol Zuck......I would be dancing in joy. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• 24_7gaminghub24_7gaminghub Posts: 546
    Nexus 6
    I love mark zuckerberg.
    The australian price of the 128gb quest, $799au, is equal to $754cad or $563us.
    That's slightly worse than the usual "1 euro = 1 dollar" conversion europeans often get.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Yup 399 dollars to pounds is about 305 so a 94 quid mark up for the UK on the 64gb version and rift S  :|
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited May 2019
    Techy111 said:
    Yup 399 dollars to pounds is about 305 so a 94 quid mark up for the UK on the 64gb version and rift S  :|

You are forgetting that US prices are Pre tax ... we have our prices included with VAT already, it works out about the same.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

399 dollars will incur roughly 35 dollars making that around 434 dollars and in pounds that's around 331 pounds at current exchange rates. Still cheaper  :|
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,155 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    399 dollars will incur roughly 35 dollars making that around 434 dollars and in pounds that's around 331 pounds at current exchange rates. Still cheaper 

Yeah, I had $42 tax added to my $439 order (128GB + Quest Carrying Case). But then I got a discount for cash back stuff. Overall though I do think you are correct: everyone should live in America.

Come on over, buddy. Plenty of room in the pool!
    ;)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    Techy111 said:
    399 dollars will incur roughly 35 dollars making that around 434 dollars and in pounds that's around 331 pounds at current exchange rates. Still cheaper  :|
    this is not really oculus at fault pre tax price is around £335 which is much closer to £305
    also we get an extra years warranty so it aint all bad.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    True true

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,447 Volunteer Moderator
    Digikid1 said:

WAY overpriced.
    We're actually getting a better deal than Americans at that price, because it includes all taxes. For us in Ontario, if you deduct the 13% HST, you get $618.58 CAD. That converts to about $460 before tax for the 128 GB version, while the list price is $499 USD.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    For australians, adding our 10% tax should make the quest / rift-s $438.90us. But we're charged $456.64us.
    I'm guessing the reason they do this is because that means the aus price is $649au, which is one of those nice marketing numbers like 399. One less than a multiple of 50.
    My second set of touch controllers / sensor was $149au.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    My pre-order here in UK through Overclockers cost me £398.99 which I think is pretty decent.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

The Oculus twitter account said 34min ago that they will live tweet VR related news from the keynote. Nothing yet, but that sounds like a hint there will be something.

edited May 2019
    They are currently showing some cool stuff: VR avatars that have detailed full body tracking with muscle and cloth simulation using minimal hardware and no markers (no mocap suit, it works more like a kinect, but far better looking).

It's not ready for release yet, but they are working on it.