New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Custom prescription lenses for Quest?

paw9kpaw9k Posts: 19
NerveGear
I remember when Oculus Go launched there was a link to purchase prescription lenses that would be custom fitted on top of the Go lenses.  Do you think a similar option will be available for the Quest eventually?

I've actually been putting off doing my annual eye exam so I can get whatever measurements they need for a Quest variant of these lenses.

Super excited for Quest, can't wait!

Comments

• MikeFMikeF Posts: 703
    Neo
    The quest is actually super comfortable with glasses on. Its the only headset i use that can comfortably fit my frames, and thats with just the default facial interface, there's also a spacer that comes in the box for additional room so you might be ok just using your regular glasses
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    paw9k said:
    I remember when Oculus Go launched there was a link to purchase prescription lenses that would be custom fitted on top of the Go lenses.  Do you think a similar option will be available for the Quest eventually?
    According to videos you could use same prescription lenses on Go and Quest. They are same size.
    Neo
    same size is not same lens. 3rd party manufacturers have come out saying not to order go inserts for quest . Seriously, just wait till you get one, i use mine all day long with glasses on and its not a problem
  • Chuck_SkyWalkerChuck_SkyWalker Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I was told my GO inserts will fit... im surprised their is nothing mentioned on there site about it?

• DextroAmpDextroAmp Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    THE GO INSERTS DO NOT FIT THE QUEST
    Neo
    imagine that
  • carsten.the.danecarsten.the.dane Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    MikeF said:
    same size is not same lens. 3rd party manufacturers have come out saying not to order go inserts for quest . Seriously, just wait till you get one, i use mine all day long with glasses on and its not a problem
    Are you able to point to any official statements from such 3rd parties? I'be been googling it and found nothing. I'm talking to a European provider of VR lenses who claim they are identical - and I've seen videos of people being able to attach GO lenses on the Quest with seemingly no problems.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,151 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 23

I'm interested in knowing if the Rift-S and Quest prescription lenses are the same. These 2 headsets appear to be using identical Fresnel lenses and housings but other than a review video stating they'd accept the same prescription lenses, I can't find anything official.

I know the Rift S and Quest go over my glasses very comfortably but not having glasses is better. Plus there's always a risk that my glasses will touch the Fresnel and one or other will get scratched... especially if the S's eye relief is set to minimum or the Quest glasses adaptor isn't fitted in order to maximise FOV in both (which is how I use them both). In other words prescription lenses will act as lens protectors as well as maximising FOV. I'm not sure the benefit is enough to justify buying 2 sets of lenses, so if 1 set fits S and Quest, I'll get them.

As I can wear the same glasses in all headsets, prescription lenses will be compatible in all headsets provided the distance between lenses is the same and shape is the same, which appears to be the case with the S and Quest.

So if anyone has bought Go or Quest or Rift-S prescription lenses, can they please give a definitive answer as to which headsets they fit other than the ones they've been ordered for?

@DextroAmp are you speaking from experience or from info given by the lens manufacturers? and is it because the shape is different? or the distance between lenses is different so messes up the IPD part of your prescription?

Any other people with lenses please let us know, thanks.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • ntwigbelsntwigbels Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 23
    I've ordered the widmovr prescription lenses for Rift-S. They also seem to fit in my Quest, but I use them for my Rift-S mainly.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,151 Volunteer Moderator
    ntwigbels said:
    I've ordered the widmovr prescription lenses for Rift-S. They also seem to fit in my Quest, but I use them for my Rift-S mainly.

Is that a definite fit in both? I'm a bit nervous of the 'seems to' phrase ;)
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
    Hiro Protagonist
    ntwigbels said:

Is that a definite fit in both? I'm a bit nervous of the 'seems to' phrase ;)
    Yes, they fit, but I have no proof, I only put them in the Quest once to try ;)
  • MrWaverlyMrWaverly Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    The real question is............... how well do they work?
  • J-FlyJ-Fly Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    WidMoVR lenses are working decent for me on my Quest. The astigmatism is still there but that’s natural for my corrected vision. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    MrWaverly said:
    The real question is............... how well do they work?
    I would say at least as good, or even better than my normal prescription glasses, because you don't have light leakage at the sides above your ear.
  • RobawesomeRobawesome Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    The WidmoVR lens I ordered for my Quest work perfectly in my Rift S, very awesome! With high-index and blue light filter they cost me $134. Nice not having to purchase a second pair of inserts.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 641
    Neo
    edited July 8
    Although the Quest comes with a spacer, be extremely careful still...I just found tiny scratches in my right lens, and a longer thin scratch on my left lens. It's not enough to affect the vision, fortunately, but they're now scratched just the same. I tried to see if the lens rings from my Go...the rings that fit around the lenses after putting the facial insert in...would work as extra protection on top of the Quest's rings, but they are different sized, and slightly different shaped. I'm pissed. I was so damn careful putting on and taking off the headset, and up until just a few days ago, they were scratch free. I guess I might try some PolyWatch...there's been a few members who have used it already with great results.
  • laudbrianlaudbrian Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited August 12
    I've been using these magnetic lens prescription adapters as they have totally changed my VR experience comfort wise, no more scratches or fog. Easy to remove if you're sharing with other users as my wife and kid have perfect eyesight. They are half the price of competitors WidomoVR, VR Optician and 3D printed just like the rest of them. All you need are these magnetic adapters https://www.etsy.com/listing/710848026/oculus-quest-rift-s-magnetic and $9.95 prescription lens from Zenni