Oculus Quest Outside — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Quest Outside

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,398 Valuable Player
edited May 1 in Oculus Quest
This looks like fun under controlled circumstances. I would love to try this at dusk or on an overcast day.

1.check weather report
2. find a safe place
3. make sure a pair of eyes keeps you from falling into the abyss.

Good times.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• Cance11ationCance11ation Posts: 521
    Nexus 6
    :#
    Check out my twitch [twitch.tv/BATTLE_net]
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,112
    Wintermute
    That wall street journal review tho ... lol
    Be good, die great !
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 453
    Trinity
    edited May 2
    Did they open the official VR Darwin Awards ceremony already? Man, I wanted to apply for the judge...

Seriously, don't use VR outside. It's not meant for that. It's as stupid as trying to drive your car under water.

Sun exposition is bad for the headset, the tracking is not as functional because of the ambient brightness, the games aren't made for big areas so the additional space is useless anyway, and unless you find a perfectly flat space, the field hazards will make you fall.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • ShermanHermanShermanHerman Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited May 9
    I used my go outside at night under the moonlight playing a haunted mansion game with the wind in my face and the crickets making noises outside, the immersion was great
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,149 Volunteer Moderator
    The SuperHot devs were playing the Quest version outside.
    However they put down a bunch of small rugs on the ground to improve the tracking.

Which isn't surprising considering how videometric inside out tracking works.

• DilipDilip Posts: 246
    Nexus 6
    Not rugs actually seems like carpet table coasters  ;)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,838 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    The SuperHot devs were playing the Quest version outside.
    However they put down a bunch of small rugs on the ground to improve the tracking.

Which isn't surprising considering how videometric inside out tracking works.

Also note that he is not in the sun.....
  • DilipDilip Posts: 246
    Nexus 6
    Is a good observation...Sun light may blind uper two cams ....
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,149 Volunteer Moderator
    Very true, any cameras facing direct sun will probably be mostly blinded. I wonder what the exposure/aperture settings for the cameras are?

In the pic, the surrounding environment is fairly far away. This means minimal parallax from movement (small head movements won't have a noticeable effect on distant objects) so most tracking is going to have to focus on the ground. But those tiles are very similar to each other.

I've done a bunch of photogrammetry and panorama generation. Things like grass are hard to track for software that can take minutes to process one frame. Doing it in real time is tricky.

Once I get my Rift-S and Quest I'll do some tests with my logging software (current Oculus Monitor can record all head and hand tracking and export to files in Blender for playback and analysis). I've got some ideas for testing world scale drift, repeatable coordinates and hand tracking coverage.

• VRgamesterZVRgamesterZ Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Games aren't made for big areas? Are you serious did you really just say that, to walk around as much as you can instead of locomotion use or teleport. Inside/out means u can if u have the room, i know the chaperone has a max od 25x25 but when off HELL yeah...When you get one, go use a gym's open space and see how much fun you will have.
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 244
    Nexus 6
    kojack said:
    Once I get my Rift-S and Quest I'll do some tests with my logging software (current Oculus Monitor can record all head and hand tracking and export to files in Blender for playback and analysis). I've got some ideas for testing world scale drift, repeatable coordinates and hand tracking coverage.

Could you do some tests with a mirror near headset?
    It would be great if Quest/RS will recognize itself in a mirror and will do outside-out tracking :lol:
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,267
    Wintermute
    I watched a Vid of MRTV using a Quest in shady areas last night and It worked great...but even a single ray of sunlight coming through the trees blinded the system and messed up his tracking. 

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,681 Valuable Player
    Well if i wanted to use it outdoors in the sun i'd have to leave my home county.
  • FishstaebchenFishstaebchen Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    OMFG. Take a look at this: 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,398 Valuable Player
    Lol @ those commando rolls for the drama.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,655 Valuable Player
    edited May 19
    Commando rolls are also good for keeping the body in shape dude lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,398 Valuable Player
    edited May 19
    Well yeh, but I played and beat Apex Construct on the Rift, and not once did I think to myself...Damn if I could commando roll here this would be so much better hehe but whatever floats his boat. However, I really like what this guy is doing. It's the ultimate "arena-scale" dream.  As I mentioned before. I made a thread about this exact scenario on the Quest Reddit sub and was met with smart-arsed nausea inducing comments from the VR experts there.  I learned quick to keep my opinions to myself there. At least one person is living the dream. I can't wait to try this myself at some point.

Side Note. We need From Other Suns on the Quest. Any news on that anyone?