Unboxing Rift S vid — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Unboxing Rift S vid

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,162 Volunteer Moderator
edited May 1 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Enjoy ;)

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Comments

• Cance11ationCance11ation Posts: 521
    Nexus 6
    Yes now get an Oculus quest unboxing.
    Check out my twitch [twitch.tv/BATTLE_net]
  • NeokinNeokin Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2
    Yes now get an Oculus quest unboxing.
    Here you go
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,108 Valuable Player
    Great hands-on video of the Rift-S. The pass-through feature is very alluring!

I still plan to wait to demo the Rift-S before buying it. But I am getting closer and closer to making this a must-have item.

That lack of integrated audio tho...
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,794 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2

The comment about the new Touches feeling more responsive doesn't surprise me. The range from Touch to camera is less for inside-out than for cameras on walls, so I'm thinking why not more accurate and responsive because of this.

Occlusion seems to be minimal and if he's going to be using the S over CV1 then I'm good.

Edit: agree with audio, Oculus shouldn't waste any time getting headset accessories out.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2

The comment about the new Touches feeling more responsive doesn't surprise me. The range from Touch to camera is less for inside-out than for cameras on walls, so I'm thinking why not more accurate and responsive because of this.

Occlusion seems to be minimal and if he's going to be using the S over CV1 then I'm good.

Edit: agree with audio, Oculus shouldn't waste any time getting headset accessories out.

I’ve been thinking the same thing about Touch... when you’re doing something like sculpting in Medium, having the controllers right in front of the cameras should mean better fidelity than my current setup, with the cameras near the ceiling in the corners of my room. 

It’s funny that the setup procedure doesn’t have you adjust your IPD setting, and that they took away the IPD calibration screen. New users with atypical IPD may have no idea why they’re experiencing eye strain.

I wish I could try the Rift S, but I’ve never seen a demo setup in Canada.  
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    No plans for stores selling in your area nalex?
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    Incidentally I've just ordered replacement ear cushions for my well-used Quietcomfort 3 headphones. I'm thinking on-ear phones have a much better chance of fitting over the halo than the over-ear phones he was trying to use.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    As far as I've read, in-store demos of Rift S and Quest are in the US only (at least initially). I've never seen any VR demo stations in Best Buy or Microsoft stores in my area, but I don't so a lot of retail shopping, so maybe there have been some and I've missed them.

I'm just going to wait for them to get out in people hands, and hopefully then there will be some good in-depth analysis of FOV and optics from other high-IPD users. It's not like I need a new PCVR headset right now, and in a few weeks I'll have Quest to play with.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    nalex66 said:
    As far as I've read, in-store demos of Rift S and Quest are in the US only (at least initially). I've never seen any VR demo stations in Best Buy or Microsoft stores in my area, but I don't so a lot of retail shopping, so maybe there have been some and I've missed them.

I'm just going to wait for them to get out in people hands, and hopefully then there will be some good in-depth analysis of FOV and optics from other high-IPD users. It's not like I need a new PCVR headset right now, and in a few weeks I'll have Quest to play with.

I'm definitely scheduling a Rift-S demo, and will do my best to provide as in-depth a review as possible. For better or worse!
    edited May 2

You're more on-the-fence than me Zen so you may be better placed to give an unbiased opinion.

I'll refrain from giving my views until I've had it for a week or 2 but will do my best not to give a justify-my-purchase type opinion.

You're more on-the-fence than me Zen so you may be better placed to give an unbiased opinion.

I'll refrain from giving my views until I've had it for a week or 2 but will do my best not to give a justify-my-purchase type opinion.

Yes, I admit that this time around I am very critical of a Rift product. They changed the head strap, tracking, and the audio integration. So Rift-S has a lot to overcome to win me over!
    :)