New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Disabled Wheelchair user requires additional accessibility options

Bongman79Bongman79 Posts: 8
NerveGear

Hi I'm a full time wheelchair user, I own an HTC Vive and an oculus Rift and also pre ordered the Quest. Steam VR has Accessibility options in advanced settings where I can make myself taller in VR with a slider and also assign a spare button on the controller that I can hold to go back to seated height and let go for virtual standing height again so it's like the equivalent of a crouching button... and so I much prefer to use my Vive for this reason and hardly ever use my Rift... I would really like it if you could add these simple options to make it fair and accessible to everyone, and I would use my rift more, also worried if I'll be able to play games on my quest if I can't make myself taller in VR... I really hope you can add this feature and make it fair for all. And if I'm writing to the Wrong place could you direct me who I should contact. Thanks

Comments

  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 344
    Trinity
    I believe in the Quest set up you define the floor elevation by placing one of the controllers on the floor. I would assume that if you placed it on a raised surface ( a low table for instance) you would then get an elevated viewpoint.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • Bongman79Bongman79 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    I believe in the Quest set up you define the floor elevation by placing one of the controllers on the floor. I would assume that if you placed it on a raised surface ( a low table for instance) you would then get an elevated viewpoint.

    I think that would actually make me even shorter, To make myself taller in steam VR it moves the floor further down, So in oculus that means I would have to define the floor elevation as underground which is impossible.
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 344
    Trinity
    Ah..good point..my bad
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    Really hope a solution becomes available, I`m not disabled but I firmly believe that manufacturers like Oculus etc should make the system available for all, so the best of luck.
  • Bongman79Bongman79 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Really hope a solution becomes available, I`m not disabled but I firmly believe that manufacturers like Oculus etc should make the system available for all, so the best of luck.
    Thanks :) appreciate that, Yes it would be awesome.. Steam VR has had these options for 2 years, It wouldn't be hard for Oculus to add it I'm sure
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    May I ask you to contact support and express your desires/concerns/wishlist. You never know mate they may have a work around for you ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • sford52sford52 Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    Bongman79 said:

    Hi I'm a full time wheelchair user, I own an HTC Vive and an oculus Rift and also pre ordered the Quest. Steam VR has Accessibility options in advanced settings where I can make myself taller in VR with a slider and also assign a spare button on the controller that I can hold to go back to seated height and let go for virtual standing height again so it's like the equivalent of a crouching button... 

    This is a brilliant feature, for everyone who has various mobility issues, even those who don't and could just see the value of adjustable height and crouch features.  Man, I sure hope the Oculus developers listen to your request and push it high on the todo list.
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
  • Bongman79Bongman79 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Techy111 said:
    May I ask you to contact support and express your desires/concerns/wishlist. You never know mate they may have a work around for you ;)
     Thanks, I did message support but they said to send to developer support, I have posted on dev forums but it hasn't been checked and published on there yet.
  • Bongman79Bongman79 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    sford52 said:
    Bongman79 said:

    Hi I'm a full time wheelchair user, I own an HTC Vive and an oculus Rift and also pre ordered the Quest. Steam VR has Accessibility options in advanced settings where I can make myself taller in VR with a slider and also assign a spare button on the controller that I can hold to go back to seated height and let go for virtual standing height again so it's like the equivalent of a crouching button... 

    This is a brilliant feature, for everyone who has various mobility issues, even those who don't and could just see the value of adjustable height and crouch features.  Man, I sure hope the Oculus developers listen to your request and push it high on the todo list.
    Cheers man I hope it does too :) Like you say it could be a good feature anyway for all, means if anyone didn't fancy standing to play one day they could just sit on the sofa to play as long as there is snap turn feature as well.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Seems like it would be a pretty easy fix for them to implement, too..  I've seen a lot of individual games that have a "seated mode" option.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    Oculus should be ashamed of themselves for not providing any accessibility options. SteamVR has had them for a long time. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • Bongman79Bongman79 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    CrashFu said:
    Seems like it would be a pretty easy fix for them to implement, too..  I've seen a lot of individual games that have a "seated mode" option.
    Yes some games do have that but not all, It's nice to have the option tho, I kinda like to feel tall in VR tho it makes me feel like I've escaped the wheelchair lol.
  • NimarusNimarus Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I hope the devs can meet with a couple people in wheelchairs to work out accessibility options.
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    I agree this is important. If I ever release a game myself, I will try to make it as accessible as I can.
  • Bongman79Bongman79 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I'm having trouble getting Oculus to notice, for some reason I can't post a new thread on the developer forums, and support just told me to contact the developer team. It would be a game changer for me if they ad some accessible options, I mean I don't think I can even play beat saber without making myself taller, and with the toggle crouch feature I can crouch under the blocks when they come.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,405 Volunteer Moderator
    If you haven’t already, you should submit this as feedback through the Oculus desktop app and the UserVoice channel to make sure the proper Oculus devs see it. Details on how to do this are in the pinned Feedback thread.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Bongman79Bongman79 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    nalex66 said:
    If you haven’t already, you should submit this as feedback through the Oculus desktop app and the UserVoice channel to make sure the proper Oculus devs see it. Details on how to do this are in the pinned Feedback thread.
    Thank you :) No I haven't tried that yet I'll get on it cheers
  • BornToRollBornToRoll Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I will buy the Quest as well and Sit in a Wheelchair :(
  • nickyb78nickyb78 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Hi im a wheelcheer user as well can u tell me how u get ro advanced settings to set height because i cant find it?
  • nickyb78nickyb78 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Just figured it out. U need to download open vr. Thanks google :)
  • Scrollon1Scrollon1 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I amalso in a wheelchair and am finding many games I cannot play because ingame surfaces are to tall for me. I came into this forum looking for a solution.Please keep this forum updated.
  • Pic0oPic0o Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2019
    This seems an accessibility binding offset priority, turned to a floor set standing bug.
    On Rift cv and steam, I was able to set standing height from floor to be as were standing base. No way seen to for Rift S and maybe quest. I am at v1.38 beta client

    Lower a foot or so. For sitting to be presented standing, in vr+altitude

    Editing for some additional testing.  I do see games like VrChat specifically have a seated mode option for height.  This puts my position correctly instead of being a couple of feet from the floor.
    For games without seated mode flag, it would be cool to present your height as an offset.

    I can possibly physically trick floor height by standing on a small ladder to set headset height, then touch the floor, but that is completely not accessibility capable and also annoying to setup my environment.  FYI and example of a game without seated mode setting and very obviously too short to play while sitting, is Vader Immortal.
  • andrew.daleyandrew.daley Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Bongman79 said:
    Techy111 said:
    May I ask you to contact support and express your desires/concerns/wishlist. You never know mate they may have a work around for you ;)
     Thanks, I did message support but they said to send to developer support, I have posted on dev forums but it hasn't been checked and published on there yet.

  • druminfecteddruminfected Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Still no accessibility option on the Quest!   Man this is pretty sad.    I'm in a wheelchair and have Muscular Dystrophy and it's hard to move my hand over head so adjusting the height would give me an option to actually play games I couldn't because of the height.

    I came in here to post this for anyone who didn't know.

    I wanted to let everyone else know that Steam VR has a accessibility option actually in the Advanced settings!  

    So anyone having this issues, please try this and this will fix the issue!
  • Othefallen321Othefallen321 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm not disabled, however Id love to enjoy certain titles from a sitting position. I have a gym and can work out on my own time. How is this not an option yet? I understand the technology is somewhat new, however disabled persons is a great reason to allow floor to be adjustable to a negative height if need be. It seems a very simple fix and should be included. I intend on contacting customer support regarding this issue. 
Sign In or Register to comment.