cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP Bug in Oculus Application, Now I'm Out Of Pocket!

Darnton
Honored Guest
Hello all new here,

This post is regarding a bug in the Oculus mobile application which had downloaded ~30GB of my mobile data allowance in the background, now I am out of pocket.

Firstly I have an Oculus Rift, not a Go and all downloads for games etc. are done over my WiFi connection. I have a
30GB allowance on my mobile contract (it runs 1st of the month to the end of month) and I was firstly notified of my data expiring on
the 12th of April 2019 via a text from Three – I thought this was strange and I
thought maybe I had not been connected to WiFi. Following this I bought an 6GB
add on for £8.00 to last me the rest of the month, 3 days later I got notified
that this allowance had expired. That’s when I realised something was wrong and
after inspecting had noticed that the Oculus application had used a significantly large amount
of my mobile data allowance. At this point I had ran out of data so after restricting
mobile data for the Oculus application I purchased the next largest data add on (3GB) available to me, which lasted the remainder of the month and cost me £7.00. In total I am now £15.00 out of pocket and Oculus are liable for this, why should I pay for a bug in there software after already forking out for the headset, it is ridiculous - I am really very annoyed.

I have had numerous discussions with someone from the Oculus Support team called George who has just informed me that "As our services do not require Mobile Data and that feature can be
turned off in addition to data warnings etc. we're currently unable to provide
any sort of compensation for data usage.". Which is nice in hindsight, however it is not regular behaviour to download 30GB of mobile data, I would have no problem with even 100MB, (which would still be excessive) I should NOT have to turn off my mobile data for this application.

This post is really a complaint about the Oculus customer service and their inability to compensate customers or take blame when they are in the wrong, I am honestly really disappointed with Oculus and company which I really had high hopes for.

Attached below is my historic monthly data usage (this month was no different to any other), a screenshot of the Oculus mobile download usage and my phone bill.

If anyone can relate/share any of there stories I'd welcome it.

Thanks guys.

Lewis

ck9dqfxnd8h8.png

4s2ouvulgs3e.png
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
To Oculus it is working as intended but left to us to find out just like their Game/App Updates screw up eventually if Oculus Software is installed (as the default option only) on C: Drive so it messes with Windows Permissions at some point. I'd never leave any Mobile Data running for anything.

BenSherman228
Honored Guest
Faced the same problem. I sympathize with you, not everyone can be ready for this.

LeoWebster
Honored Guest

Thank you 

@BenSherrman228 three short posts expressing sympathy for various problems, then a link to mobile phone dev software. Link deleted.

Just trying to decide if Leo isn't Ben, returning to bump the spam. Well it's good to have suspect posts highlighted either way!

LeoWebster
Honored Guest

@BenSherrman228 three short posts expressing sympathy for various problems, then a link to mobile phone dev software. Link deleted.

Just trying to decide if Leo isn't Ben, returning to bump the spam. Well it's good to have suspect posts highlighted either way!

it seems to me that you act tactlessly

If tact means leaving spam links in place... yep I'm definitely tactless!

reported

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?