Oculus Go for College classroom use — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Go for College classroom use

CalidusCalidus Posts: 3
NerveGear
I work at a college and the architectural department wants to get over a dozen VR headsets for Lumion (to view their projects in VR).
I suggested the Go, but now I am concerned because I am reading that it needs a phone to set up or work?
I'd rather not spend $400 each for the Quest, when all they will be doing is looking at 360 panorama photos, essentially... but if the Go requires phones, then I don't see how hta would work out well in the classroom without the students having to use their own phones, and some may not have a compatible phone, etc.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,758 Valuable Player
    Calidus said:
    I work at a college and the architectural department wants to get over a dozen VR headsets for Lumion (to view their projects in VR).
    I suggested the Go, but now I am concerned because I am reading that it needs a phone to set up or work?
    I'd rather not spend $400 each for the Quest, when all they will be doing is looking at 360 panorama photos, essentially... but if the Go requires phones, then I don't see how hta would work out well in the classroom without the students having to use their own phones, and some may not have a compatible phone, etc.

You just need an Android or Apple phone to set it up - once, at the beginning.

Might be able to use just the one - i'm not totally sure about that though?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,245 Volunteer Moderator
    I've had three go's all bound to my one phone and then had my students developing on them. During general use, the only purpose for the phone is to turn developer mode on/off (you need to turn dev mode off to access the Go as a storage device).

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,439
    Project 2501
    I guess being able to walk around your creation in VR will be very useful for architects and interior designers. 

Won't you be better off with a Quest since it has 6DOF? 
    MowTin said:
    I guess being able to walk around your creation in VR will be very useful for architects and interior designers. 

Agreed.  Hopefully, you'll be able to do so much more with the Quest.  Obviously they are double the price but if you can stretch, at least get some Quests.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,245 Volunteer Moderator
    Calidus said:
    I'd rather not spend $400 each for the Quest, when all they will be doing is looking at 360 panorama photos, essentially... but if the Go requires phones,
    The Quest also needs a phone. From the store page:
    "Setup requires an iPhone (iOS 10 or higher) or Android™ (6.0 Marshmallow or higher) smartphone, the Oculus App (free download), 802.11 b/g/n wireless Internet access, and an Oculus account."

• CalidusCalidus Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    MowTin said:

Agreed.  Hopefully, you'll be able to do so much more with the Quest.  Obviously they are double the price but if you can stretch, at least get some Quests.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but unfortunately I think Lumion only does 360 panorama stills, and not true live 3D rendered scenes.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,451 Valuable Player
    There are better HMD's to use for classroom deployment - with the key elements needed for this environment. We wrote a feature on these systems previously:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/01/the-virtual-arena-vr-gets-schooled/

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    Dang it Kevin, stop trying to sell other companies' headsets here! You get a commission off those or something?
     :tongue:

*ahem*  To @Calidus :  A benefit of the phone link-up is that you can also mirror what someone in their headset is seeing to the screen of the registered phone.   That could make it MUCH easier to work with your students,  any time you need to see what they're seeing.. 

Saves the trouble of having them hand you the headset so you can put it on yourself (and deal with another person's face sweat before it's had time to dry out. Yuck.)   or of having to play "telephone tech support".

I don't know if other mobile headsets offer that sort of function, but it's definitely a useful feature on the Go and Quest.

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,451 Valuable Player
    CrashFu said:
    Dang it Kevin, stop trying to sell other companies' headsets here! You get a commission off those or something?

Ha! - seriously, the Oculus Go is great, but the curriculum content is essential for education application, as well as the need for teacher control of the class - the Go just does not have these feature. I am sure they are simple to add but at the moment OculusVR has shown no interest in including this element. But you never know @CashFu they may change their mind.  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Calidus said:
    MowTin said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unfortunately I think Lumion only does 360 panorama stills, and not true live 3D rendered scenes.

No idea, I was thinking of you possibly wanting to use it for other applications in the future.
  • CalidusCalidus Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    CrashFu said:

*ahem*  To @Calidus :  A benefit of the phone link-up is that you can also mirror what someone in their headset is seeing to the screen of the registered phone.   That could make it MUCH easier to work with your students,  any time you need to see what they're seeing.. 

Saves the trouble of having them hand you the headset so you can put it on yourself (and deal with another person's face sweat before it's had time to dry out. Yuck.)   or of having to play "telephone tech support".

I don't know if other mobile headsets offer that sort of function, but it's definitely a useful feature on the Go and Quest.

So I assume we would want to buy one phone to manage these for the instructor? 

Also, how do you get the files (in this case the Lumion 360 photos) onto the Oculus Go headset?

• jessicarichardssjessicarichardss Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 14
    Calidus said:
    Well, I think these would be great ideas, and for students, this is a great motivation to attend classes. It would also be interesting to make out how to write research papers correctly. You can simply buy research papers by visiting my website papersowl.com or you can read about it yourself. I would recommend the first option, as it is more attractive and fast.