Tested Rift S Review — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Tested Rift S Review

nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,359 Valuable Player
I haven't seen this posted yet, but Tested have just put up their review of Rift S.

It's a good in-depth look, with a similar conclusion as we've seen elsewhere--it's a good headset that does a lot of things well, but maybe not a "must have" upgrade for people who already own a Rift CV1.

i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
Tagged:

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,359 Valuable Player
    They did show some testing of the controller tracking in Echo VR, and concluded that it was fine for the most part, although they did lose tracking a few times when holding onto environment geometry behind the back for a prolonged period.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,955 Valuable Player
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Ah okay, I stopped following that thread early on and it's now a few hundred posts along, so I haven't popped back in. This still probably deserves some visibility in the Rift/Rift S forum.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,813 Valuable Player
    edited May 8
    @TheRealCyber - Why is the Insight tracking such a big thing for people? Is it because people think Oculus are going to do AR with it or is there another reason? I do think it looks really cool, but is it only going to be used for drawing your boundaries?
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    Also, taking a Rift to meetups is now way easier (no sensors to place), and I guess backpack laptop setups are now possible, assuming you find a laptop that is compatible.
  • wzygrrwzygrr Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I guess backpack laptop setups are now possible, assuming you find a laptop that is compatible.
    Yeah Cyber, I can't wait to try that back pack thing. If that works, it's a Quest without the graphics penalty. 
    I must admit, I did browse for VR-capable laptops when Rift S was announced. I’m still on the fence due to my high IPD, but I like the idea of easy PCVR anywhere. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I think my laptop might work (MSI Stealth GS65). It passes the compat tool and it has a mini-DP port but it does also have Optimus. Hopefully it will work, I'll let you know.

Which GPU does yours have? I’d want to get an RTX 20 something, but boy do they get expensive. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,598 Valuable Player
    @TheRealCyber I was making the same points regarding Insights tracking capabilities and had some new posters get quite agitated with my arguments. I'm not going to bother disagreeing any more, I'll just enjoy the new tech!

Really intrigued by the passthrough demonstrated in the Tested vid, it's almost like some of those MS AR demonstrations with those screens placed around your room.

I'm also very tempted to get a decent laptop @nalex66,  save me from lugging my PC from study to living room each time I want to play room-scale and great for taking it to friends/family..... and the possibility of untethered PCVR with a light and comfy backpack. I have a feeling, once I've played with the Quest, I might not want to go back to tethered for 360 room-scale games.

I think these headsets will encourage devs to think more about room-scale 360 entertainment. Especially the Quest, which is why I'm not too concerned about having free Quest versions of my Rift games. I'm more looking forward to having different types to games that exploit the new freedom more. My existing games will still be great but I tend to stay seated for those so I'll carry on playing those in my little study. There are a couple existing games though that really need the extra room, even with The Climb I kept bashing my Touches against the wall, but with the hassle of taking my PC to another room and especially setting up the sensors each time, I just stopped playing those games. Same with Lone Echo, so it'll be great to get into those properly.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
    Hiro Protagonist
    nalex66 said:
    Which GPU does yours have? I’d want to get an RTX 20 something, but boy do they get expensive. 
    The model I have uses a GTX 1070, but they have new ones this year.
  • LujhoLujho Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    Am I the only one considering upgrading (or side-grading) based almost purely on how cool Passthrough Plus looks? Simply being about to step out of my play area to grab a sip of beer without taking anything off seems so fun, even if it is largely just a safety feature. My play style (as in, the type of apps and games I use) won't suffer from the occlusion issues that come with Insight tracking, and I use earbuds on my Rift anyway so the no headphones thing is a non-issue too.

Honestly the only thing giving me pause is sacrificing the original Rift's black levels. I only recently got them working properly (the spud file deletion hack) and giving that up seems like a shame. 

Also, I really wish there would be a Rift S Plus or something before the full version 2, even if it just had a resolution bump. I'd hold out for that if I knew it was coming in a year or something. 
  • DTHDTH Posts: 213
    Art3mis
    I ordered mine just because I can get rid of my sensors.  I will miss the headphones and will try the buds.  But you are right the more I watch and read the more I do fill it is a side-grading move.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,982 Valuable Player
    DTH said:
    I ordered mine just because I can get rid of my sensors.  I will miss the headphones and will try the buds.  But you are right the more I watch and read the more I do fill it is a side-grading move.
    Yeah I got buds as well.
    We will find out here soon enough, not too much longer now. Hopefully no delays like some of the others are having.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • Neo_33Neo_33 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    nalex66 said:
    I currently have an Alienware 15 R4 that has a GTX 1060 in it. My current rift works well with that laptop. It’s about a year old now but can play games like space junkies, wizards enhanced edition, lone echo, etc fine. There’s a mini display port on it so I think the rift s will work fine. 
    edited May 9

"Why did ASUS sell me a motherboard for £160 with 8 USB slots and I only use 2 of them!!???!?!?!??!?!?! WHY LORD!!?!??!?! WHY!?!?!?!??!?!"
    Asus really likes USB ports. I had an X99 Deluxe before my current board and didn't need a USB expansion card for the Rift (despite having a bundle of other USB stuff). You never think you're going to need that many ports but you find uses for them and you miss them when they've gone. Like when your kids leave home, I imagine.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
    nalex66 said:
    As for the lack of headphones, I'm hopeful that Oculus will eventually release an official add-on, but if all else fails, it seems that the PSVR add-on headphones work on the Rift S.

Got these QC3's at the ready, should fit over the halo much better than the large over-the-ear phones people seem to be trying.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 903
    3Jane
    I don't mind trying those PSVR headphones but the only problem is, they're white?

I'll only buy them if they come in black to match my Rift S. 

I want to look sexy when using VR, not look like Roger Rabbit! Sweet jesus!  :p
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player
    edited May 9
    edit.. deleted... sometimes humour does not translate well to other shores.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 313
    Trinity
    I have issues with lenses fogging up. I hope S will be an improvement as you can slide the whole display box away from your head.

I'm dreaming of replacement head bands with integrated headphones and active cooling measures. And wireless build in :)
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 903
    3Jane
    edited May 9
    Thmoas said:
    I have issues with lenses fogging up. I hope S will be an improvement as you can slide the whole display box away from your head.

I'm dreaming of replacement head bands with integrated headphones and active cooling measures. And wireless build in :)

The fogging issues were resolved mate in a previous thread, we worked out what was happening, people were using VR whilst in the bath and the steam from the hot water was causing issues.

Please refrain from using VR whilst bathing! Thank you for your cooperation!  :p

In all seriousness though, I've never had fogging issues on my Rift, but I use VR in a cold room with windows open and a huge fan so maybe that's why, I like to play VR whilst really cold as it helps you to sweat less.

So all I could recommend is buy a nice big fan.

Also if you think about it, surely the Rift S will fog up more for you as the nose area is now covered to prevent light leakage, I believe I saw that in reviews on YouTube. So if you getting fogging with Rift CV1 now under normal conditions then I'm sure Rift S will be worse for you. But again an easy fix is just open windows and use a large fan. After all, VR is a form of exercise, especially if your standing, walking, shooting, crouching etc, your bound to get a hot head eventually.

And the hotter your head gets, the more chance of fogging. Actually come to think about it, maybe you don't need a new HMD, you just need a new head! lol
    edited May 9

The S may be better with fogging if it's moisture from breathing out of your nose that's the cause (and you have a small nose that doesn't protrude below the bottom of the HMD).

Otherwise as you say @Thmoas ,the S isn't held hard against your face like CV1 and can be moved backwards and forwards to allow for eye relief so this could also be a way of preventing fogging if you suffer from it.

• ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 287
    Nexus 6
    edited May 9
    Screenshot taken from the Tested review.  There were a few others but I thought this was the most representative of the improvements to expect if you're coming from CV1.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale