Can Rift -S be plugged in at the same time as CV1? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can Rift -S be plugged in at the same time as CV1?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,848 Valuable Player
Can Rift -S be plugged in at the same time as CV1? How would the Oculus software work out your guardian, if you have both head sets plugged in and switch between them at times?

Comments

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,116
    Wintermute
    It prolly will.
     But I also predict that whatever unit you had running to begin with will have priority, and 2nd wont be activated till you click a box to accept for that device to take over.
    Be good, die great !
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,848 Valuable Player
    edited May 14
    @Oculus staff - Can you answer this question since I think it's quite important for people who already have a Rift CV1 and are looking to use both headsets? Sometimes I would like to use CV1 for better tracking behind and other times Rift -S, if I feel the tracking is going to be fine.

Better still - Please let Rift -S use the external sensors and I wouldn't need the CV1 still plugged in :D
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    Please contract Oculus support for direct response.
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 546
    Trinity
    This wont work, just tried it, only 1 output allowed. Even from a software standpoint so much would have to change for it to work the same goes for all games so this isnt likely to happen anytime soon in the future
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,987 Valuable Player
    edited May 14
    MikeF said:
    This wont work, just tried it, only 1 output allowed. Even from a software standpoint so much would have to change for it to work the same goes for all games so this isnt likely to happen anytime soon in the future
    That has been my thoughts/worries too, but I do hope CV1 + Index will work - changing cables aren't easy on my rig, I'd really dislike not being able to have two HMDs attached at once (and of course only using one at the time). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited May 14
    I did read somewhere that someone had a Rift CV1 & WMR headset plugged in at the same time. So what's different between say a Rift CV1 & Valve index plugged in at the same time, or a Rift CV1 & Rift -S?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,987 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    I did read somewhere that someone had a Rift CV1 & WMR headset plugged in at the same time. So what's different between say a Rift CV1 & Valve index plugged in at the same time, or a Rift CV1 & Rift -S?
    I believe the Oculus software would register both Rift HMDs which may cause a conflict if only one output is allowed. - But the Oculus software would never register the Index. Don't know what happens in SteamVR, though - hope I can disable the CV1 in SteamVR if needed. I do hope that I can just put on the Index and SteamVR will start automatically, we'll see. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,375 Valuable Player
    MikeF said:
    So when you add a new headset in the Oculus app, does it delete the old one? Does it ask you to unplug it?
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Trinity
    edited May 14
    Both show up for me but it only shows one at a time as active and it appears to be whatever gpu port is being queried first by home
    @MikeF - I'm a bit confused what you mean. I don't want to use the both at the same time. I just want them both plugged in and use one at a time. I want to know if this will work?
    Trinity
    Yeah thats not going to work either, it seems to recognize both in the UI but only the first device detected will show as active. SteamVR sometimes has luck with multiple devices plugged in but its really hit or miss. I'd advise you to get some sort of display port switch possibly so you can just disable/enable whatever hmd you want, thats the only reliable method i've found for having multiple devices attached
    @MikeF - Would I need an active display port switch? Can you recommend one because before my CV1 would keep flashing on and OFF using a DP.
    Trinity
    edited May 14
    Sorry i dont remember which one worked for me off the top of my head, i'll have to dig it out of storage sometime this week. I'll bet someone else has a working model number though, its become common enough for enthusiasts to have multiple hmd's these days
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,375 Valuable Player
    MikeF said:
    Both show up for me but it only shows one at a time as active and it appears to be whatever gpu port is being queried first by home
    So could you choose which one to use by putting the headset on without Oculus Home running, i.e. launching it via the headset's proximity sensor?
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Trinity
    since one isnt showing as online the proximity sensor wont pick up any input so i'd say no. 
    @MikeF - yes, it would be helpful if you could dig it out and let us know the model. I've already been in bother with Amazon for sending stuff back after testing to see if they work.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 866
    3Jane
    Many thanks for all your valuable imput @MikeF .  Except for testing purposes I don't intend to have both Rift's hooked up at the same time.

When I go to setup my nice new Rift-S am I best to startup with the Oculus app as per normal, with my cv1 and then go to devices tab and select + add a headset?  I guess it then will need to go through a setup for headset and controllers.  Or, am I best to unplug my cv-1 and sensors, then startup the Oculus app and see if it senses new hardware, and go from there?  Thanks mate.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    Trinity
    I just totally unplugged all my cv1 stuff, plugged in the s, open home and its good to go. I dont think there's really any conflict issues since once one headset is detected the other is just ignored, but limited desk space means this made more sense for me :)
    @MikeF - Do you know of any way to disable one one headset while another one is plugged in? I just don't want to mess about unplugging one or the other. Isn't there anything that will just disable one headset without unplugging it?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,685
    3Jane
    As it is only possible to use 1 at a time that is no worry.
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    @MikeF - Do you know of any way to disable one one headset while another one is plugged in? I just don't want to mess about unplugging one or the other. Isn't there anything that will just disable one headset without unplugging it?
    Aside from maybe disabling that USB controller via the device manager i dont think so. Not something i've wanted to mess around with since that could cause other issues. Still no luck finding my old switches, i might have lost them in a move, will post back if i do come across them though. If its any help my s works fine with an index plugged in too but thats two separate platforms so its a bit different
    @MikeF - I do plan on getting both the Rift -S and Valve index, so that's good to know. I do have a program called usb deview. It's an excellent little program so I'll give that a try when I get Rift S

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,658 Valuable Player
    We've never been able to have 2 Rift CV1's plugged in at the same time. It only recognized one headset at a time. I remember this topic back in 2016. So the answer should be No, we still can't have 2 headsets plugged in to one VR Machine simultaneously.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    I totally forgot I have Rift CV1 on a usb and Hdmi extension, so I could just unplug it there instead.
    3Jane
    RedRizla said:
    I totally forgot I have Rift CV1 on a usb and Hdmi extension, so I could just unplug it there instead.
    Rift-S needs DisplayPort not hdmi so I don’t understand what you’re saying.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    edited May 17
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RedRizla said:
    Rift-S needs DisplayPort not hdmi so I don’t understand what you’re saying.

@TomCgcmfc - I have my Rift CV1 on a Hdmi extension cable and usb cable. I will not be getting rid of the the CV1 even when I get Rift -S. The problem is you can't have the Rift CV1 & Rift -S both plugged in at the same time so you have to disconnect one. I just want a quick way of disabling My Rift CV1 when I am using the Rift S. 

I thought I would have to keep going behind my computer to unplug the Rift CV1, but I can just pull out the hdmi and usb cable at the extension end which isn't behind the computer. I'll also buy an extension cable for Rift S, and do the same with that if I'm using the Rift CV1 for anything.

I might get away with just disabling the usbs though with usb deview.

@MikeF - Edit: I've just had a thought. Does Rift S use different software or is it the same software that Rift CV1 uses? If it's different from that of the Rift CV1, then what I've just said ^^ won't work either will it?
    3Jane
    edited May 18
    Red, so why do you think you will need both?  Maybe wait until you know why, then figure out how to switch between them.
    Yeah, I'll wait and see. Thing is I won't get a lot of money for my Rift -CV1 because I managed to get super glue of all things on one of the lenses. I did get it off but it's left a mark on the sponge surround and is slightly visible on the lens.

Just thought I might as well keep CV1 if Onward is a problem with Rift S. I like to have my controller under my chin in Onward to steady my aim and that might be a problem with tracking on Rift S.
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    @MikeF - Edit: I've just had a thought. Does Rift S use different software or is it the same software that Rift CV1 uses? If it's different from that of the Rift CV1, then what I've just said ^^ won't work either will it?
    yeah its the same home, if you had one rite now it would work just the same as your current setup. Think of it like steamVR and how it supports a variety of different hardware