how do you fix steaming glasses in the rift? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

how do you fix steaming glasses in the rift?

hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 394
Nexus 6
my glasses steam up on the left eye lens when i wear my rift, any tips for how to stop this from happening?

Comments

• ThmoasThmoas Posts: 313
    Trinity
    edited May 10
    Before wearing Rift, turn on Oculus Home and put something in front of the sensor. This will warm up the hmd and lenses and will reduce fogging.

Airflow between head and lenses, put a ventilator to your face or create some draft going through your playspace.

This is what works for me, I have tried many things and fogging is one of the major culprits why I can't just hop into VR. This is what works, heat up HMD and in some way just force some airflow between lenses and head.

The cause is a combo of temperature difference (how hot your head becomes and how cold the lenses are) and humidity.

If you are hot and sweaty on your head like me you create hot humid air on colder glasses, the only way is to flush the air.
  • LujhoLujho Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    This happens to me in winter. So I make sure my room isn't too cold, and then before playing or when I take a break, I'll put my headset in front of the heater's fan to warm the lenses up. Now OBVIOUSLY do not put them too close or for too long. Just half a minute or so, from a few feet away. You want to WARM it, not make it HOT. 

If you're getting fogging in hot weather, maybe use a dehumidifier or use the "dry" setting on your aircon?
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    I just push it forward a bit to let some air in, and that's enough to clear it.
  • shadowrydrshadowrydr Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    I have a small desk fan on low facing me.
    Win10 64bit
    Intel 6 Core i7 5930 3.5GZ-Water cooled/GA-X99 UD4-/HX1000W PS/32GB DDR4 2400MHz
    Nvidia 1080 FE 8GB / 840 GB-SSD-/ 2TB HDD-
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,318 Valuable Player

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,623
    3Jane
    edited May 11
    Your breath contains enzymes which are a natural cleaner (is why Soldiers spit polish boots). I cast a breath onto each lens and rub off with the microfibre. That's how it's done and stays like that. Same story for scuba/diving masks except they spit onto it. Don't!
    i.e this will also indeed prevent fogging and steam.
  • AfflosparkAfflospark Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited May 11
    Hey 
    As I understand your rift glass does not work properly this is happening due to winter or your glass needs some heat.
    The reason is that the cold lenses of your receptor Go meet with the great and comfy air returning off of your head. it's the identical reason that glasses cloud once you walk into an area on a cold Winter's day. the only because of forestalling your receptor Go from fogging up is to place it on your head, but not over your eyes, for around five minutes before you start victimization it for VR. This heats up the lenses and may stop fog from impairing your vision.
    Hope this will help you.
    Thanks

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 842
    3Jane
    I just give mine a ‘Wet Willy’ followed by a wipe with a microfiber cloth or good quality tissue paper and/or paper towel.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!