Rejoice !! Gunstocks (ProTube) will work just fine with Rift S/Quest — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rejoice !! Gunstocks (ProTube) will work just fine with Rift S/Quest

ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 287
Nexus 6
edited May 10 in Oculus Rift S and Rift

TL;DW - Rift S will require a slightly different controller angle, and a NEW controller holder for the new Touch design.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
Oculus Rift S
Oculus GO
Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
Tagged:

Comments

• TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Do people actually use those things? Seems like it might be very restrictive (e.g. what happens when you pick up a handgun, or need to throw a grenade?).
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 287
    Nexus 6
    The controllers are attached to the stock using magnets, so it makes it easier to detach/reattach when reloading, or grabbing your pistol.  Ignore older videos as ProTube didn't include magnets then.

As for the stock, it makes playing FPS games a lot more fun (and makes your aim a lot more accurate).  The downside being the stocks can be expensive (ProTube ~$100).  But since I was balked at the pricing of Index, I have a lot of extra cash left over for a VR gunstock, other accessories (headphones!!), and games.

This is a recent video that shows the latest ProTube version and how to use it:

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,813 Valuable Player
    edited May 11
    Not all good news because you still cannot look down a weapon with a scope. The scope rifle requires you to put it closer to your eye. Well that's according to another YouTube reviewer not me. Hope to see more reviews about this once people have their Rift -S

Also, I think 3rd party accessories like the gun stock ruin PvP games imo. They give you an advantage over your opponent and when playing PvP that isn't good. I stopped playing Onward because I'm not going to pay that price for a 3rd party accessory.

Coming up against these players using a gun stock when you only have your controllers is a bit like mouse vs XBox and it ruins the fun. People only use gun stocks because they obviously suck at aiming without one. I used to love playing Onward when it first came out and people were only using the controllers, it was a level playing field and a lot of fun. People then started to use plastic pipes to build something because they knew they couldn't compete and their aim sucked :D  

• ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 287
    Nexus 6
    Not all good news because you still cannot look down a weapon with a scope. The scope rifle requires you to put it closer to your eye. Well that's according to another YouTube reviewer not me. Hope to see more reviews about this once people have their Rift -S

In the video, Mike states he was advised by ProTube to extend the first controller position to be slightly more distal to account for that issue.  Once he made the recommendations by ProTube, his tracking including aiming down scope, was greatly improved.

Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    edited May 11
    Mike also said he didn't play online FPS shooters, so nobody knows if it will make you less competitive having to change your natural position.

Hopefully we will get better feedback when people who do play FPS competitively online get the Rift -S.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,598 Valuable Player
    edited May 12
    I think hand position irl is a function of where they need to be to support the weight of the gun, I don't think it's all about aiming accuracy.
    Having your hands a little higher or a little further from your head to allow better tracking shouldn't affect accuracy at all. In fact with the butt against your shoulder and the pivot point therfore a little further from your hands, hand movement would translate to slightly less gun movement (you couldn't really move them further away irl to achieve the same because of the weight) but in any event, the difference should be small.

I'm really tempted by one of these things but the games I play have too many different weapons to make it a practical proposition.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    I have a Protube (actually Magtube with magnetic removable cups. I've also backed the Forcetube add-on, can't wait for it !) and I play Pavlov, Contractors, Onward and H3VR. It's a bit tricky with H3VR (mainly because of the locomotion systems), but I got used to it now and I couldn't play without now, it's a big step forward to get immersed in the game. I don't mind being competitive or not, it's all about immersion. I'd compare it to wheel vs gamepad for racing games ;-)
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

edited May 12
    I have a Protube (actually Magtube with magnetic removable cups. I've also backed the Forcetube add-on, can't wait for it !) and I play Pavlov, Contractors, Onward and H3VR. It's a bit tricky with H3VR (mainly because of the locomotion systems), but I got used to it now and I couldn't play without now, it's a big step forward to get immersed in the game. I don't mind being competitive or not, it's all about immersion. I'd compare it to wheel vs gamepad for racing games ;-)

I would compare it to mouse vs XBox controller, which makes it difficult for those who just use controllers and ruins FPS shooters. I stopped playing Onward because why should I have to buy one of these to remain competitive. What was wrong with people just using the controllers? 

You can make a rifle stance using just the Oculus controllers, but you can't make an Xbox controller into something that resembles a steering wheel. It would be nice if the price dropped on gun stocks, then everyone could get one of these just to remain competitive. As it is it's just easy kills for those with gun stocks against those just using controllers and I prefer a level playing field in games.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,249
    Wintermute
    RedRizla said:

I would compare it to mouse vs XBox controller, which makes it difficult for those who just use controllers and ruins FPS shooters. I stopped playing Onward because why should I have to buy one of these to remain competitive. What was wrong with people just using the controllers? 

You can make a rifle stance using just the Oculus controllers, but you can't make an Xbox controller into something that resembles a steering wheel. It would be nice if the price dropped on gun stocks, then everyone could get one of these just to remain competitive.
    I mean, the stock is definitely more comfortable to use but I'm not really sure it's a competitive advantage. It's kind of a 50/50 thing. Sometimes I feel like I have an advantage and other times I feel like it's a disadvantage. Some of the best onward players don't use one and regularly beat people with Stocks so idk. 

That said you can make a homemade stock pretty inexpensively with PVC.