Possible for a firmware update to have 80hz as an option on the cv1? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Possible for a firmware update to have 80hz as an option on the cv1?

WhipDiddyWhipWhipDiddyWhip Posts: 28
Brain Burst
edited May 11 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
as the title says, the rift s is going to be 80hz and its said that that will be fine, i was wondering if it would be possible to get a firmware update to the cv1 to give an OPTION for 80hz mode, people will say "just limit your frames" but it doesn't work like that, it's a stutterry mess under the vsync refresh rate of the panel when the panel is meant to run at 90

often games will just drop into the 80's and it becomes noticable, with a hardware level sync at 80 it would be easier for the cpu to run which is normally the bottleneck for vr,

if this is possible of course, i won't buy a rift s as it's outside my ipd range of 68 to be comfortable

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 847
    3Jane
    I'm pretty sure that the Rift cv1 screens are hardwired at 90Hz and cannot be changed by firmware.

Your 68mm ipd may not be an issue with the Rift-S as it is supposed to cater from 58-72mm (albeit with software).  If you have a concern about this maybe you should wait to see if you can try a demo set and/or at least wait for others with similar ipd's to report back.  Just keep in mind that some people are more adaptable to slight ipd differences and some are more sensitive.

Like the Go the central ipd is 63.5 and it's been reported that it's ideal range is 61.5-65.5.  My ipd is 67mm and I have absolutely no problems with my Go so I doubt I will have any with my Rift-S.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!