CV1: Sell it or Keep it? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

CV1: Sell it or Keep it?

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,636 Valuable Player
edited May 12 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
For any existing Rift CV1 owners who plan to upgrade to Rift-S... what will you do with your legacy Rift CV1?
Pre-orders start shipping soon. Almost time to say bye-bye to physical sensors.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

CV1: Sell it or Keep it? 36 votes

I will keep my Rift CV1 as either a backup or collectors item.
52%
kojackWildtnalex66Shadowmask72snowdogSkScotcheggZenbanedjwqverVRclosetDTHdburneMAC_MAN86MorgrumNeloDiavoloDigikid1RuneSR2KlodsBrikTomCgcmfcTheRealCyber 19 votes
I will sell my Rift CV1 as a used item.
36%
bigmike20vtKiennyskygunner27MPiresRosgilliesothervoicesShocksOculusDieslowBeastyBaiterPigletti99ElusiveMarlinnightwolf284wzygrr 13 votes
Undecided.
11%
YoLolo69Techy111ntwigbelsksn 4 votes

Comments

• BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 778
    3Jane
    Plan to sell, though I haven't decided what headset will be replacing it. Love the simplicity of the Rift S but the audio situation maybe a deal breaker. Depends on if there are some headphones that can sit over the halo, also depends on comfort.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,535 Volunteer Moderator
    Undecided.
    I'm still trying to decide if I'm keeping it after getting the reverb. Defo keeping my go.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,249
    Wintermute
    I was going to sell mine but I'd feel guilty because it has so much wear on it. I'd feel bad if it failed on someone. Instead, I am giving it to my nephew and I hope it fails on him.  :D
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited May 12
    Mine sits on a shelf:( looks pretty though:)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,679 Valuable Player
    Not sure how to vote, because I have an extra Rift anyways so I'll probably sell one and keep the other. :tongue:

It could be nice to have a pair of Constellation sensors lying around, if / when they do implement the option of Hybrid Tracking.   And who knows, maybe someone will make a kit for attaching the CV1 headphones to the Rift-S?
    day until Rift-S and Quest launch!   It's Riftmas / Questmas Eve, y'all!
  • skygunner27skygunner27 Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    edited May 12
    CV1 already sold. Rift S preordered. I always disliked the external sensors. Preorders should ship now, to gain market share.

Gamerstorm Quadstellar Case, i9 9900K, Gamerstorm Castle 240 RGB AIO, Aorus Master Z390, Aorus Xtreme 2080ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600, 970 Pro 1TB MVNe, 2TB 860 EVO SSD, 2TB 860 Pro SSD, EVGA 1000 G3 SuperNova, AW3418DW 21:9 3440x1440 IPS 120hz Gsync Display etc.....
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,636 Valuable Player
    Congrats @skygunner27 !
    btw, you should Edit your photo and hide the device SKU Number. FYI :)
  • skygunner27skygunner27 Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    Congrats @skygunner27 !
    btw, you should Edit your photo and hide the device SKU Number. FYI :)
    Thanks. I believe the device sku number is how Bestbuy stores information about a specific model. Nonetheless I removed the pic just to be safe.

Gamerstorm Quadstellar Case, i9 9900K, Gamerstorm Castle 240 RGB AIO, Aorus Master Z390, Aorus Xtreme 2080ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600, 970 Pro 1TB MVNe, 2TB 860 EVO SSD, 2TB 860 Pro SSD, EVGA 1000 G3 SuperNova, AW3418DW 21:9 3440x1440 IPS 120hz Gsync Display etc.....
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,598 Valuable Player

mmm I'm undecided right now but will vote in a few weeks time because I'm making a lot of assumptions about the S and I could be wrong, I've been wrong before but I can't remember when that was.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 746
    3Jane
    You should add 'already sold CV1 to apply toward an S' to the poll list
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,535 Volunteer Moderator
    Undecided.

mmm I'm undecided right now but will vote in a few weeks time because I'm making a lot of assumptions about the S and I could be wrong, I've been wrong before but I can't remember when that was.

2017 it was mate, around dinner time before the news started. You said you look good in red but pink was way better ;) remember?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,837 Valuable Player
    I am keeping mine.  Makes no sense to buy the newer models since there is no point to.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Digikid1 said:
    I am keeping mine.  Makes no sense to buy the newer models since there is no point to.
    HP Reverb, Valve Index and Rift S. Three upcoming headsets with better specs. Or did i miss some joke here?
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,837 Valuable Player
    saami81 said:
    Digikid1 said:
    HP Reverb, Valve Index and Rift S. Three upcoming headsets with better specs. Or did i miss some joke here?
    HP Reverb : Made by a POS company that requires a higher GPU.
    Valve Index : WAY too much money.
    Rift 1.5 ( a.k.a. Rift S ) : Shitty HALO headstrap and not that much better.

Take your pick.
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    I usually sell my old electronics, but I'm definitely keeping the Rift as a collector's item. It's already boxed up, I'm waiting for Rift S now.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player
    Whilst I am unsure what PC hmd I get next I only have room for 1. I will sell or donate my CV1 when the time come
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,359 Valuable Player
    I almost never sell my used stuff. I did sell my GTX980 when I got the 1080, but that was an exception since I upgraded earlier than usual. I’ll give stuff away if I know someone who could use it, but otherwise it’ll stay with me. In the case of the CV1, when I eventually upgrade, it’ll go in it’s box and sit beside my DK2. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 287
    Nexus 6
    Sold it and maximized it's resell value now, and use that money towards the S.
    The design defects with the right ribbon cable failure and the failing IPD adjustment are ticking time bombs.  It's gonna happen, it's just a matter of when.

Besides, the S has so many quality of life improvements.  The 21st can;t get here soon enough !!
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 294
    Nexus 6
    I will keep mine to play VR games with the kids.
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Oculus Rift CV1
    snowdog said:
    Well I voted that I'm keeping it because I'm not selling it. I'm going to give it to a mate and his family because they've been great to me over the years and he recently lost his job and started a lesser paid one.

Aww, that's a sweet story, baby. Come hugs me!

• NeloDiavoloNeloDiavolo Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    I'll never sell my CV1. Take it to the grave I will! Eventually I will pick up an S on sale, but my heart will always be with my original Rift.  <3
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 903
    3Jane
    edited May 13
    Zenbane said:
    For any existing Rift CV1 owners who plan to upgrade to Rift-S... what will you do with your legacy Rift CV1?
    Pre-orders start shipping soon. Almost time to say bye-bye to physical sensors.

Love the cool picture, that's awesome!!

I'm thinking I will definitely keep my Rift CV1 forever as a collectors item. I can show the grand-kids one day when they're in the Oasis what granddad you used to use 50 years prior to them being born and they will probably laugh at me! And then when I die they can have it and then sell it on ebay for 50k. And then using that money they can take a trip to Yellowstone National Park in USA and spread my ashes across the park.  :p
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,373 Valuable Player
    I will sell my 2 touch controllers and 2 sensors but keep the actual headset. Anyone interested?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,679 Valuable Player
    I will sell my 2 touch controllers and 2 sensors but keep the actual headset. Anyone interested?
    Not going to hold onto at least one of the sensors in case Hybrid Tracking becomes a thing?

Or did you already have more than just the two?
    day until Rift-S and Quest launch!   It's Riftmas / Questmas Eve, y'all!
    Love the cool picture, that's awesome!!

I totally stole that picture form a VR Facebook Group lmao

Too hard to pass up, especially since I fought Thanos in my Rift! :)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 847
    3Jane
    edited May 13
    Keeping mine and all 3 sensors.  I’m planning on building or buying a powerhouse PC for flight and racing sims so that will free up my current VR station for use by family and friends.

Edit; along with my Go and pool table I’ll just about be able run a mini-arcade parlor, lol!
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!