Give your best supporters on Youtube free headsets — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Give your best supporters on Youtube free headsets

bigcat1969bigcat1969 Posts: 40
Brain Burst
You fly in the trendy VR Youtube people to the US and give free headsets to everyone who attends your confrences, but you don't even give guys like ReMarcus free headsets? He just said he couldn't afford both Quest and Rift S. Half the conference people have already thrown their headsets away and the trendy guys are waiting for Index to rip Rift S apart. Your actual fans who make weekly vids viewed by thousands you ignore?

Comments

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 391
    Trinity
    edited May 12
    Could not afford a Quest and a Rift S and only being able to afford one VR headset......i am unsure if this post is actually being serious or if it is dripping deeply with dark sarcasm over the humanitarian plight of yt channels only being able to buy one 400 quid vr headset. Lol
  • bigcat1969bigcat1969 Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    Just me being an annoyance over Facebook strategy of giving free headsets to people who couldn't care less or are going to do one off reviews and never touch then again versus actual fans who create free advertising content for them. You want PR give away a dozen headsets a day in prelaunch in a raffle to fans who signup and get their amazed and completely partisan and predictable reactions of joy and watch reddit explode. No one sent me, btw. I happened to notice one chap who I follow said he wasn't going to cover Rift S and thought it was a shame.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,366 Valuable Player
    Yup, as far as I know none of the VR Spies have got a free Rift S or Quest and they were pretty much the first people to start channels dedicated to VR. Caleb (RealityCheckVR) and Don (VRGamerDude) were both flown out to GDC with a load of other Youtubers but didn't get free ones for some reason.

If you're going to fly out people to conferences and pay for their entrance and accommodation then it stinks when you give free ones to some and not others.

I donated $10 to Don's GoFundMe thingummybob because due to the entertainment and streaming content that he's provided over the years he's earned every penny as far as I'm concerned.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Brain Burst
    Awesome post! Hopefully if we point out these folks, the kind folk from facebook will fix these oversights.
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 12
    To be fair, some people have received hardware early. I saw an unboxing on YouTube from Tyriel Wood, as well as a review from Tested. Cas and Chary also did some videos. I do agree that there are a lot of popular channels that could provide basically free advertising, but it's not like nothing is being done.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,734 Valuable Player
    You fly in the trendy VR Youtube people to the US and give free headsets to everyone who attends your confrences, but you don't even give guys like ReMarcus free headsets? He just said he couldn't afford both Quest and Rift S. Half the conference people have already thrown their headsets away and the trendy guys are waiting for Index to rip Rift S apart. Your actual fans who make weekly vids viewed by thousands you ignore?

No thanks, I don't like reviews where the reviewer feels obligated to give a good review because they got free gear.  Are you a youtube influencer that's making a request to get free gear?

Brain Burst
    Nah just griping on general principle because I asked my favoritist Go Youtuber if he was gonna cover the Rift S and he said no as he felt he couldn't fford the Quest and the Rift S, so he was going Quest.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,784
    Project 2501
    edited May 15
    Well I am amazed that Volunteer Mods on this forum who  are doing a great job do not get at least a free Quest. (Can I have a 'get out of jail free' card now for any forum infractions :)