Will the Rift-S use Spud? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Will the Rift-S use Spud?

Just wondering that since the new Rift-S uses lcd's instead of oled's will it still use Spud?  I actually have it turned off with my cv1 (via regedit, see link below; on/off = 1/0) because I find I get  better overall graphics/colour when night flying with X-Plane 11.  Anyone know?  Thanks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player
    edited May 13
    isnt that a thing because of OLED? if so there will be no need for it on riftS.  quest may use something however

sticking neck out here to look a fool - but wont be the 1st time -
    but i thought spud was a thing to stop the oled panel from turning pixels off fully.  which is why even on rift we never get true black.
    turn of spud and you can get better blacks and colours but can also get smearing because of the lag in turning the pixels on again.

like i said, i could be horribly wrong.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 847
    3Jane
    I think you're basically correct bigmike.  Also, it seems diff headsets get diff results with spud on/off.  In my case both my original Rift and a replacement (refurbished) I got last month (under warranty, usual audio ribbon fault) seem best overall with it turned off.

It will be interesting to see if turning spud on/off has any effect with my pre-ordered Rift-S.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,955 Valuable Player
    RoadToVR first published a short Rift-S review, but has now published the in-depth review, where there's a lot of info concerning the screen (and more) - maybe you've already read it, otherwise it's here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-review-good-choice-for-newcomers-difficult-choice-for-vr-vets/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,141 Volunteer Moderator
    but i thought spud was a thing to stop the oled panel from turning pixels off fully.  which is why even on rift we never get true black.
    turn of spud and you can get better blacks and colours but can also get smearing because of the lag in turning the pixels on again.
    I've never played around with spud, but from what I understand:
    That's one thing it does, which lcd probably won't need.
    But the other thing it does is mura (random variations in pixel brightness) correction. Lcd can suffer from mura.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,955 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    I've never played around with spud, but from what I understand:
    That's one thing it does, which lcd probably won't need.
    But the other thing it does is mura (random variations in pixel brightness) correction. Lcd can suffer from mura.

And the backlight bleed, which will vary from screen to screen - even my quite expensive Sony TV series 9 VA (LCD) panel has it, although not much  - it's part of the tech. You don't have that using OLED and backlight bleed is normally only seen to extremely dark areas,probably no problem in most apps or games.  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • LujhoLujho Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    Tangentially: I could get Spud working properly on my Rift (when Spud is working properly the picture is amazing and blacks look black, but when it's not working properly, blacks look grey like the do on the Go, but more speckled) by deleting the Spud files, rebooting and waiting for them to repopulate. Obviously you can't do this same hack with the Quest so it makes me hope they've sorted the Mura/Spud issue out there.

On the Rift S, I assume you'll just be stuck with the Mura it has, but because it's LCD it won't be nearly as bad.