Rift S vs Rift CV1 vs HTC Vive through the lens! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S vs Rift CV1 vs HTC Vive through the lens!

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,395 Valuable Player
    Not a great representation of the Vive tbh, it doesn't look anywhere near as good as that when you have the headset on. Unless he's nodded it with GearVR lenses?

The black levels of the Rift S look pretty good though.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 188
    Art3mis
    snowdog said:
    Not a great representation of the Vive tbh, it doesn't look anywhere near as good as that when you have the headset on. Unless he's nodded it with GearVR lenses?

The black levels of the Rift S look pretty good though.
    Yep, he mentions in the video that it has the lens mod

Agreed, the black levels are looking quite respectable.

Roll on Tuesday :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    There’s not a lot of difference between the Rift and RiftS as expected. Upgrading is a waste of money unless you are desperate to get rid of the Rift sensors or Godrays.

Can’t wait for the RiftS, Index and Revert comparisons.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,658 Valuable Player
    edited May 14
    Upgrading is a waste of money unless you are desperate

How would you know? Have you tried a Rift CV1? You say plenty of negative things about Oculus, but you are still very secretive about your own history with any VR HMD's. Seems you are not here to have healthy and honest discussion, but to antagonize.

I think anyone who bought the Pimax was wasting both time and money, yet it got funded fairly well nonetheless. It also got forgotten mighty fast.

But anyway, all you ever do is post anti-Oculus memes and anti-Oculus rhetoric. Hopefully your absence from this forum will arrive sooner rather than later. The forum did well when it got rid of similar trolls with an agenda in the past. Your contributions take this forum backwards.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    vannagirl said:
    It’s what Atmos does if anyone knows an Atmos that is and if not it’s okay and carry on  :|
    Do you see a lot of difference between the Rift and RiftS? 
    edited May 14
    vannagirl said:
    It’s what Atmos does if anyone knows an Atmos that is and if not it’s okay and carry on  :|

Why don't you list out the differences that you think exist. Let's see if you can provide an honest comparison. All you're doing is dropping bait and trying to trick others to do the work for you. If vannagirl answers your question, you are not going to provide any honest insight. You're just waiting to see what she says so you can antagonize further.
    List the differences, pro's and con's, between the Rift CV1 and Rift-S yourself. I'd love to see you try to be fair!
    ;)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,690 Valuable Player
    edited May 14
    There’s not a lot of difference between the Rift and RiftS as expected. Upgrading is a waste of money unless you are desperate to get rid of the Rift sensors or Godrays.

A )    These "through the lens" shots really aren't indicative of how the headset looks on your face.  I mean, jeez, if the Vive displays looked as godawful as in that video, consumers would have abandoned it as quickly as Valve did!   Screen Door Effect?  More like Quilt Blanket Effect!

B )   If you think the Rift-S isn't a worthwhile visual upgrade from CV1, prepare to be disappointed by the Index;  Its resolution sounds higher on paper, but when you factor in the FoV, you realize that the pixel density is slightly lower than Rift-S, and THAT is the most important element of visual quality.

That's probably why Valve has kept such a tight control over who gets to try the Index before its launch,  and why they've strictly forbidden all of those people from taking through-the-lens photos.
    Merry Riftmas, everybody!
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,952 Valuable Player
    vannagirl said:

It what area?

i do not have a rift s to test or plan to upgrade currently or am i overly techie to rip them down as you all do

I really like the reverb atleast on paper and image stills but you know as I do Atmos what is on paper and in your hand can be completely different experiences

were you finally happy with the PieMax??
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    vannagirl said:
    He's ordering an Index, so that Pimax happiness was short-lived. And it mostly lived on the forums.
    :p
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited May 14
    CrashFu said:
    B )   If you think the Rift-S isn't a worthwhile visual upgrade from CV1, prepare to be disappointed by the Index;  Its resolution sounds higher on paper, but when you factor in the FoV, you realize that the pixel density is slightly lower than Rift-S, and THAT is the most important element of visual quality.
    B ) Not true, it's already higher panel than Rift S or Rift - so by nature it'll already be looking better. Plus there is the fact on how they are getting that extra 20 degrees by removing some of the center over lap by angling the panels thus the PPD doesn't actually go down in this case weirdly enough because they are not really forcing a higher FOV over the lenses. That means we should except higher clarity for Text/reading.

A ) Even though they are not - they still give a reasonable amount of information even if they are zoom in a bit in how the over all image will/should improve over generation one devices for sure. Generation one devices didn't look at that good to start with so keep that in mind. Also, if I am looking at this right - it says the Vive is using GearVR lenses? That might have an effect how it used to look before. I dont remember it being that bad in SDE my self.

With that said - I think the Rift S does a pretty good job over all between the three. Can't wait to see the difference between that and the HP Rev and Index.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,952 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    vannagirl said:
    He's ordering an Index, so that Pimax happiness was short-lived. And it mostly lived on the forums.
    :p

Ahh

well theres EBay for a reason I guess.

index way too expensive for my tastes 
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    edited May 14

Mradr said:
    CrashFu said:
    B ) Not true, it's already higher panel than Rift S or Rift - so by nature it'll already be looking better.
    It's not true to say that "by nature" it'll already be looking better. That's not how this stuff works. And you quoting CrashFu and saying something like that is going to turn in to the same stuff we've already seen when these debates go off the rails.
    You always do this kinda thing and it never goes well.
    With both you and this Atmos-style poster in the thread, we should probably get it locked asap. Nothing good is coming next lol
    edited May 14
    Zenbane said:
    It's not true to say that "by nature" it'll already be looking better. That's not how this stuff works.
    Huh, this is how this stuff works. Higher res screens will naturally look better than a lower resolution screen. I don't follow what you mean. Vive Pro for example did look better than a Cv1 - did it not? Plus I explain further on that it is not lowering PPD - so unless you can prove other wise - it's a fact of math.
    edited May 14
    Mradr said:
    Huh, this is how this stuff works. Higher res screens will naturally look better than a lower resolution screen. I don't follow what you mean. Vive Pro for example did look better than a Cv1 - did it not?

The final product could have artifacts, smearing, screen door effect, god rays. So much goes in to the visuals that screens alone do not address. The Pimax 8K had a higher res that everyone, but it also had lens distortion and artifacts.

But you know all this. You just wanna start another argument.
    edited May 14
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    Huh, this is how this stuff works. Higher res screens will naturally look better than a lower resolution screen. I don't follow what you mean. Vive Pro for example did look better than a Cv1 - did it not?

The final product could have artifacts, smearing, screen door effect, god rays. So much goes in to the visuals that screens alone do not address. But you know this. You just wanna start another argument.
    Smearing is only a factor between LCD technologies but has been consider a non issue for a while. Screen door effect is pixel layout space between pixels - lenses can help here - but considering I am talking about resolution - it is a factor - but something a higher resolution screen will address for. God rays are a lens artifact not a resolution issue. So by nature - a higher res will look better than another lower res if all other factors are the same.

We know Rift CV1 has god rays - but you don't see them here - it's a focus on resolution/pixel/sde effect on the text. Rift S look pretty good from the videos and you can easily read the text even in motion I thought was pretty amazing.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,987 Valuable Player
    This and some other photos didn't look right to me:

Rift S did look horrible in that shot, and CV1 looked like a grey LCD screen - and here colors and contrast were completely off for the CV1:

But at least the photo may show the decreased SDE on the Rift-S. Also, it's very hard to take such shots, but nice that Wood tried. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    @Mradr that response of yours is not even worth addressing. The bigger point is that you have no business trying to pick another needless battle with CrashFu, after the last thread got locked and ban warnings were given. Try to contain yourself.
    edited May 14
    @Zenbane Nor does he have the right to say, "prepare to be disappointed by the Index" when he never seen it and there has been a number of post saying other wise from many people>:) Specks and math say other wise - not my fault he says miss information such as "you realize that the pixel density is slightly lower than Rift-S" when it has been known for a while that isn't how they are getting the extra 20 degrees.

I am not attacking him to be play fair here - you are attacking me more than anything.

There are other things he could attack and I would agree with - but sorry - I don't like miss information.

Good grief, same old Atmos. I think you need glasses, there's a clear difference between the two. With the Rift S vs the Valve Index you'll have more clarity due to the higher resolution but, going by hands-on reports of the Index, at the price of worse god rays. And the Rift S vs the HP Index will be clearer still, but it remains to be seen whether HP manage to sort out their mura issues.

The advantage that the Rift S has over both headsets though is that the Minimum and Recommended Specs haven't chaged to the the 10Hz cut in the display refresh rate, which means that you can use the same super sampling rates without needing to upgrade your GPU from the one you're currently using. And Rift and Rift S owners also have the advantage of native Oculus Home and Store access plus the wonders of ASW 2.0.

Only a matter of time before this Muppet gets banned again lol  :D :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,848 Valuable Player
    edited May 14
    @RuneSR2 - I thought the CV1 was supposed to have better blacks? Judging from that photo the Rift -S has miles better blacks? The Rift -S does look better in ever department though, even if the screen shot of the Blacks isn't correct.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,987 Valuable Player
    edited May 14
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - I thought the CV1 was supposed to have better blacks? Judging from that photo the Rift -S has miles better blacks? The Rift -S does look a lot better in ever department though, even if the screen shot of the Blacks isn't correct.
     Yes, CV1 is OLED, the photos don't make sense to me - several other reviewers have clearly stated the CV1 has better blacks than Rift-S. Some of the Assetto Corsa CV1 shots seemed way to blurry - doesn't look like that at all in my CV1. But it is what it is - knowing from my own CV1 shots, it's so incredibly difficult to get these shots right. Like when you thought my CV1 shots looked like the Reverb - such shots may not be similar at all to wearing the HMDs. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - I thought the CV1 was supposed to have better blacks? Judging from that photo the Rift -S has miles better blacks? The Rift -S does look a lot better in ever department though, even if the screen shot of the Blacks isn't correct.
    SPUD in this case is keeping the CV1 a bit brighter than normal. Remove spud - you would have true blacks going on. Other effects is the god rays making it brighter as well. 

I think this gives a better idea in terms of blacks vs bright blacks of LCD and OLED.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,848 Valuable Player
    When is ASW 2.0 out?
    RedRizla said:
    When is ASW 2.0 out?
    Its already out - just need devs to support it.
    edited May 14
    Mradr said:
    @Zenbane Nor does he have the right to say
    It is his opinion, and you are not an authority on the matter. And his opinion, which addresses Pixel Density, is far more correct compared to how you think this all works "by nature."

I don't like miss information.

I would argue that you've spent the last 2 years spreading misinformation. You seem to think that only you have the right to say these types of things, but not others? That's silly.

CrashFu said:

A )    These "through the lens" shots really aren't indicative of how the headset looks on your face.  I mean, jeez, if the Vive displays looked as godawful as in that video, consumers would have abandoned it as quickly as Valve did!   Screen Door Effect?  More like Quilt Blanket Effect!

That's probably why Valve has kept such a tight control over who gets to try the Index before its launch,  and why they've strictly forbidden all of those people from taking through-the-lens photos.

Actually the SDE on the Vive is WORSE than seen in the video, he's using a Vive with a GearVR lens mod. When I tried a mate's Vive ages ago my eyes were close to bleeding it was so bad. He later came around to mine to try out my Rift and sold his Vive to get a Rift. It's actually a lot more common than you think. If I'm remembering correctly a couple of the VR Spies did the same thing too.

And unless someone has posted a Combo Breaker, that's a triple post FTW lol  :D :D :D