New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR Cover for Quest now available to order

nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,201 Volunteer Moderator
VR Cover has their Quest replacement facial interface available! Here's the link.

Those of us who've used their pu leather face gasket on the Rift know how much nicer these are than the default foam, especially once you start working up a sweat in active games.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
Tagged:

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,867 Valuable Player
    Yes, I need this!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,201 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, I was going to wait and see what the default interface is like, but when I saw that this was available, I went ahead and ordered.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    Sweet, yea once I switched to the leather on my CV1 I couldn't ever go back to anything else. Too damn convenient for keeping clean. Wipe it down and you're back in the game!
  • DeadaceDeadace Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    The sponge cover that Quest comes with sucks up all sweat, how does it work with the fake leather cover, won't you have issues of sweat running into your eyes instead? I really want a cover so I can actually show it to people, right now it would become pretty disgusting! :#
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,923 Valuable Player
    I've not used one of these yet.  Will definitely choose one when the reviews come in.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sounds like damned if you do, and damned if you don't! :D
  • SicktrashSicktrash Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zenbane said:
    Deadace said:
    The sponge cover that Quest comes with sucks up all sweat, how does it work with the fake leather cover, won't you have issues of sweat running into your eyes instead? I really want a cover so I can actually show it to people, right now it would become pretty disgusting! :#

I've drenched the hell out of my original Rift with its original face cover, and yeah, it absorbed all that sweaty glory! The "fake leather" cover is great. It doesn't absorb much at all, so all your sweat runs down your face and soaks up your shirt all nice n' sexy like. As it should be!

Seriously though, I've had many a sweaty VR sessions in the past 3 years, and I recommend the leather VR Covers 100%. Stay away from the spongy stuff, and stay away from the cotton covers.
    Can you recommend any other company than VRCOVERS? They are saying it will be a month before they ship any and I'm not waiting that long!
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 615
    Neo
    VRCover I think are a relatively small company and probably don’t have the recourses to meet the high demand at speed, but they are very good. The Facial interface I got for my Rift was actually on a Kickstarter campaign.  I’ve never come across any other company producing the same products as they are of the same standard. 
    Yeah, I'm not aware of any other company making a similar product either.
    edited May 2019
    Sicktrash said:
    Zenbane said:
    Deadace said:

I've drenched the hell out of my original Rift with its original face cover, and yeah, it absorbed all that sweaty glory! The "fake leather" cover is great. It doesn't absorb much at all, so all your sweat runs down your face and soaks up your shirt all nice n' sexy like. As it should be!

Seriously though, I've had many a sweaty VR sessions in the past 3 years, and I recommend the leather VR Covers 100%. Stay away from the spongy stuff, and stay away from the cotton covers.
    Can you recommend any other company than VRCOVERS? They are saying it will be a month before they ship any and I'm not waiting that long!

There are probably a few options out there, as I tried about 2 other random orders before VRCover came along. But they all sucked. To be honest.

VRCover puts real love and care in to their product. It will be worth the wait! I've played lengthy hours of sweat induced extremes with games like, Creed Boxing, while using the VRCover leather interface. Absolutely flawless experience. And their products are highly durable. Standing the test of time and taking all the abuse that comes from lengthy VR obsession hours.

I wouldn't even bother exploring any other options right now. Hang in there!
  • J-FlyJ-Fly Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Thumbs up 
    Neo
    Well I went ahead and ordered the VRCover standard set. Shame it’s going to be around 6 weeks before I get it, but looking forward to being able to play in comfort. I really don’t get why Oculus use fabrics that can’t easily be thoroughly cleaned, you’d think they would have learned that’s what we want by now. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I just find it strange they don't sell these covers themselves.
    Neo
    Deadace said:
    I just find it strange they don't sell these covers themselves.
    Totally agree with you!
    Ordered mine today. Here's a good review of the product:

Nice. I'm still waiting for mine... Ordered on May 14th, shipped on May 29th, still presumably on a boat somewhere between Thailand and North America.
    Neo
    Stillll waiting for mine, dispatches on 24th June 😣, ordered the cotton covers too. I’ve seen some reviews saying as the interface is far more rigid than the Oculus one it can squeeze the sides of your face and possibly be uncomfortable for some face shapes. Hope I don’t find this as I do have quite wide cheekbones. 
  • JohanTEAJohanTEA Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2019
    The cotton cover I ordered on the 28:th of May got shipped yesterday, the 6:th of June.

I tried to order the better padding but couldn't when i tried a few days ago. I will try again in a week or so. 

I think VR Cover has got quite a lot of orders because of the Quest, which is great  😁
  • VenomousSVTVenomousSVT Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    JohanTEA said:
    The cotton cover I ordered on the 28:th of May got shipped yesterday, the 6:th of June.

I tried to order the better padding but couldn't when i tried a few days ago. I will try again in a week or so. 

I think VR Cover has got quite a lot of orders because of the Quest, which is great  😁
    I believe they updated their site.. you can buy them now but they are estimated to ship in august... yeah, 3 months away
    So, I finally received my VR Cover yesterday. Unfortunately, the design problem is apparent... it doesn’t stay attached to the Quest very well, and keeps falling out when I handle the headset.

I’ve already requested the free replacement part that they offered, but that won’t ship until August. I’m going to try using it for a while and decide whether to live with it or go back to the original interface until the corrected plastic piece comes. 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,018 Valuable Player
    What's the deal with this. I have the same cover for the Rift and that's fine and comfy for seated and less active games. However, on the Quest with BoxVR or Racket Fury (did a 70 min session today 330Kcals burnt and some sweat) and games that might cause some sweat is the leather counter intuitive. I mean, the Quest foam is not comfy for prolonged periods but is designed to absorb moisture and be washed afterwards if it gets too smelly McNelly. Does the leather simply make sweat drip down your cheeks? Is it better?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    What's the deal with this. I have the same cover for the Rift and that's fine and comfy for seated and less active games. However, on the Quest with BoxVR or Racket Fury (did a 70 min session today 330Kcals burnt and some sweat) and games that might cause some sweat is the leather counter intuitive. I mean, the Quest foam is not comfy for prolonged periods but is designed to absorb moisture and be washed afterwards if it gets too smelly McNelly. Does the leather simply make sweat drip down your cheeks? Is it better?
    I originally felt the need for the VR Cover on Rift once I started playing active games (when the Touch controllers came out). The default foam got so soaked with sweat that it was just disgusting, especially putting the headset back on after taking a short break. The pu leather, on the other hand, doesn't soak up sweat, so I just give it a wipe-down when I'm done and it's all good. I find this preferable to my headset being all wet when I've finished a session. It's also better for sharing if you're doing a demo at a family gathering--a quick wipe between users rather than handing a sweat-soaked headset to the next user.
    The p-leather just lets the sweat drip down your face. My shirt gets nice and soaked. I prefer this over having my sweat get sucked in to a piece of Foam that is pushed up against my face the entire time.

I received an email from VR Cover stating that my order for the Quest p-leather Interface was on Hold while they try to fix the defect.
    Zenbane said:
    I received an email from VR Cover stating that my order for the Quest p-leather Interface was on Hold while they try to fix the defect.
    Yeah, anyone who ordered after May 23(?) got their order held back for the fix, and people with earlier orders that had already shipped can request a free replacement of the plastic part.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,018 Valuable Player
    Ok that make sense then. I don't really mind the wet foam of the original because it dries out pretty quickly and doesn't give off any pong. I do mind the horrible Oculus logo indentation on the forehead though. I should try and fit my Rift cover on but last time I couldn't get the fit right.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Ok that make sense then. I don't really mind the wet foam of the original because it dries out pretty quickly and doesn't give off any pong.

Yeah it dries off quickly but eewww... so do sweaty undies. Na' mean? lol
    Neo
    edited August 2019
    So I finally got my VR Cover standard  interface, and sadly I’m not overly impressed. 

Firstly the interface is slightly wider and ridged compared to Oculus standard. I have seen other reviewers comment on this, so it did concern me a bit as I have high cheek bones. It really does press into the side of my face and is very uncomfortable, even after a short amount of time. 

Secondly I’m still getting ‘VR Face’, even after a short amount of play time... but now with added ‘veins’! Around the top of the pu cover, it creases when fixed to the interface. When this is pressed against your face it causes creases. 

Thirdly I find the pu leather gets hotter much quicker than the fabric Oculus cover. The Oculus pad seems more breathable. 

Finally VR Cover sent me two of the same thickness pad! I think they are both ‘standard’, but can’t be 100% certain as i can’t physically compare. 

I know some people will love VR Covers interface, I’m not denying that they make great stuff. But unfortunately it’s not for me. 

Ive purchased a second Oculus interface which I use just for letting friends and family play. Then when I play I swap out, and fit VR Cover cotton covers.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    Mine showed up today. It's not as bad as I thought it would be due to all the negative reviews, but I'm also using it with the DAS headstrap and 20mm padding on it. So, with the DAS, the weight is already taken off the cheeks, meaning you don't need to crank it as tight to keep the screens positioned properly on your face. The VR Cover interface is just a soft cushion after that. But...it brings your eyes closer to the lenses, which then push on my glasses, driving the nose pads into my nose...like the CV1. So...it's comfortable without my glasses, but uncomfortable with them. I'll be getting the prescription lens inserts next. Until then, I guess I'm back to using the stock insert and padding. But as I said...without my glasses, it's more comfortable than the stock insert. At least with the DAS mod, and 20mm padding for it.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    edited August 2019
    lol...seems I forgot that the glasses spacer was still attached to the original insert. I was thinking of my Go, and how it's glasses spacer is connected to the headset, then the facial insert is inserted on top of that. It's all better now. :P

But now I really do need some PolyWatch. The same scuff mark on the right lens as my Rift CV1 had after trying with my glasses the first night I had it. :(