New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Wolves in the walls: Its all over

KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,197
Wintermute
edited May 18 in General
Wolves in the Walls: It's All Over
This sequel to the experienced based on Neil Gaiman's book by the same title premiered at Tribeca to rave reviews. Let eight-year-old Lucy draw you deeper in her world where noises from the walls and unexplained events in her home lead her to believe that something sinister is afoot.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2272579216119318/

A lovely free experience. It has somewhat a twist that I really enjoyed.

Released today for Rift. 

Be good, die great !

Comments

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    You had me at "Neil Gaiman". :+1:

On a related note, if you've never watched the movie Coraline in 3D, I highly recommend it.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,197
    Wintermute
    Just looked it up. I havent seen it so its on my to watch in the near future movie list.. Thanks.
    Be good, die great !
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    edited May 18
    This looks really nice. I will put it on the list to try when my Rift S arrives.
    Yeah, Coraline was great. For some reason the movie scared me more than I think was intended. It was kinda dark.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,705 Valuable Player
    @CrashFu - Coraline is that a movie on the Oculus Rift or just a 3D movie?
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @CrashFu - Coraline is that a movie on the Oculus Rift or just a 3D movie?
    Just a 3D movie  (but there's no better way to watch 3D movies than in your favorite VR video app! Especially on the Oculus Go or any of the VR systems coming out this year. It's even better than in the theater. Seriously!)

Specifically, Coraline is a stop-motion animated film by studio Laika, based on a Neil Gaiman novel of the same name.

Most if not all of studio Laika's films are done in stop motion, are incredibly well done, and are filmed directly in 3D as well as 2D.  So, they look a lot better than any film where 3D effects were just slapped on in post.

Fun fact:  A certain DVD version of Coraline came with sets of green/magenta anaglyph glasses, so that you could watch the film in 3D on any regular TV.    I don't think I've ever heard of another movie release doing that, tbh.   But of course, getting a 3D BluRay edition and watching it on the Oculus Go or any other high-res VR device is going to give you the ultimate experience.
    :smiley:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,705 Valuable Player
    I have a 3D projector so will see if Amazon sell it. Cheers!
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,689 Valuable Player
    edited May 19
    KlodsBrik said:
    Wolves in the Walls: It's All Over
    This sequel to the experienced based on Neil Gaiman's book by the same title premiered at Tribeca to rave reviews. Let eight-year-old Lucy draw you deeper in her world where noises from the walls and unexplained events in her home lead her to believe that something sinister is afoot.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2272579216119318/

A lovely free experience. It has somewhat a twist that I really enjoyed.

Released today for Rift. 

My rating 5/5. Did remind me of the quality of Crow, although Wolves in the Walls probably had a much lower budget. The ability to interact and become part of the story is awesome. This is art and replenishes any faith in VR movies in case needed ;)

The dark story draws you in, this VR movie is for teenagers and adults, not young kids. Performance was nice, with some dips in the kitchen, but it didn't feel greatly optimized, had asw using ss 2.0 more or less constantly, but it mostly felt like 90 fps or close. So the devs aren't joking recommending a GTX 1080, although it's hard to see why you really need more than GTX 970. No Quest for this movie I guess ;)
    Colors and sounds were great, really deep SPUD-free blacks and deep bass (also the voice of her father). Also kinda replenishes your faith in the Rift - if needed  B)

Hmmm, I just wrote a review didn't I - I think I'll copy this to the store!  :D  o:)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    This was amazing. One of the best things I've seen in VR. Totally felt like I was inside an animated movie.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,689 Valuable Player
    Seems like the wolves are finally completely out of the walls ...  B)

The complete version just launched, all 3 chapters, length about 40 minutes, everything for free:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2272579216119318/?locale=en_US

More info:

https://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-wolves-in-the-walls/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"