cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift-S User Reviews - comparing Rift and Rift-S (pros and cons)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
One of the first new Rift-S owners' review and comparison:

My early impressions of the S from a CV1 owner.

My Rift S came in today and after spending a quick couple of hours with it here are my take aways.

NOTE: I need to spend much more time in the headset but here are my initial thoughts/ramblings.

Optics

WOW, the best part about the Rift S by a long shot. I have a 63 IPD so right on the money and the edge to edge clarity is quite a large jump up from the CV1.

The LED panel does seem a bit of a drop in quality from its younger brother but the clear optics are something else. It’s almost too clear at times as I do see some aliasing.

One concern I have is the refresh rate, not so much if you are hitting 80 but when ASW kicks in it’s not as smooth as when running on CV1. This may be down to early software support? I hope so. But it’s one of my main concerns at this point.

I was able to use my desktop in OH though and comfortably read text. The jump up here is quite remarkable.

Audio

The audio solution is quite frankly crap. A 3/10 at best. I really hope we have some 3rd party options here.

Comfort

It’s fine while the headset is on and you are using it. For me it’s about the same comfort as CV1. One thing I noticed though, you can’t take it off and rest it on your head. I did this frequently with the CV1 so that I can control my pc. It does seem to put a bit of pressure on my forehead, not sure how I’ll go after a long session. I also maybe need to spend more time on how to adjust it for comfort.

Tracking

It’s been flawless so far but I haven’t really spent too much time testing it out. Early signs are good.

Summary

Early signs are positive but I’m already preying for a decent 3rd party strap with good audio, and possibly a redesigned facial mask. I would say Oculus have provided optics, tracking and touch. Lenovo probably looked after the rest.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bqv9e2/my_early_impressions_of_the_s_from_a_cv1_owner/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

180 REPLIES 180

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Happy Rift S owner!

I received my Rift S roughly 8 hours ago an am now only just taking a break.

I previously had a Rift (CV1), and the upgrade in image clarity is immense!

The change in the head strap to halo with the way it rests on my face is so much more comfortable. I did not end up with the dreaded Oculus face lol.

The responsiveness of the controllers really surprised me as I was expecting maybe a little bit of jitter or something, but they instead work really well. I tested the tracking radius moving my arms in awkward angles etc to try and see if it would loose the controller location or hand angle, I used the mirror in VR inside VRChat to watch my avatar and see if there was any flaw in the tracking, It only lost my hands a little when they were behind my back. But did a good job of estimating their locations.

The audio is nice and clear and able to be plenty loud enough. However I do agree with the reviewers regarding the audio's lack of bass, which was most noticeable in games such as Beat Saber.

I plan to get and try the Bionik BNK-9007 Mantis Headphone's and see how they go. Virtual Reality Oasis reviewed them tested with a Rift S.

Overall though value for money wise the Rift S is brilliant.

Edit : Update : I have had one bug/issue with the Rift S. It has only happened once though.

I placed my headset and controls on my desk for a few minutes to take a break and had left the Oculus app running.

When I put the headset back on the guardian system had moved from where I had set it up at and positioned itself over my desk.

This however was easily rectified in under a minute by simply going to the setup and just redoing the guardian border.

It has been fine since.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bqqk5v/happy_rift_s_owner/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary
It’s almost too clear at times as I do see some aliasing.
That's a problem I have with my headset. Zbuffer flickering never bothered me on CV1 but on O+ it's so clear that it's quite distracting. Enjoyed reading the impressions. 

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
Awesome reviews! I really can't wait for a quality audio 'solution' to surface 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

That's a problem I have with my headset. Zbuffer flickering never bothered me on CV1 but on O+ it's so clear that it's quite distracting. Enjoyed reading the impressions. 

Read something similar when some of the first WMR lcd hmds arrived - one dude thought the image started to look too much like a normal pc image where you could see individual pixels and needed antialiasing. Maybe fixable using more ss? 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

"Significantly less vibration on Rift S Touch controllers

Is it just me, or is the feedback from the new controllers pretty much nonexistent in comparison to the old touch controllers?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bqus6f/significantly_less_vibration_on_rift_s_touch/

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have already addressed the audio for me, got the Klipsch Earbuds to use with it - just need the dang Rift S to get here now!  Amazon still showing shipping tomorrow with delivery Thursday for me - was kind of hoping that might change during the day to shipping today.

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Read something similar when some of the first WMR lcd hmds arrived - one dude thought the image started to look too much like a normal pc image where you could see individual pixels and needed antialiasing. Maybe fixable using more ss? 

It's only certain games. Elite dangerous in hangars has bad Zfighting for example. I think it mostly has to be addressed by the developers. In Skyrim I had luck reducing it by editing blur from the Temporal anti-aliasing. The problem existed for CV1 too it just wasn't as obvious to me. Small downside to being able to see clearly. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

It's only certain games. Elite dangerous in hangars has bad Zfighting for example. I think it mostly has to be addressed by the developers. In Skyrim I had luck reducing it by editing blur from the Temporal anti-aliasing. The problem existed for CV1 too it just wasn't as obvious to me. Small downside to being able to see clearly. 

Ok I will be the first with the dumb question:
What is Zfighting?

pyroth309
Visionary

dburne said:
Ok I will be the first with the dumb question:
What is Zfighting?

https://youtu.be/CjckWVwd2ek

Answers to question at end is first and last.