cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No cell phone

w_benjamin
Adventurer
I sent a message to support, but I figured I'd throw it here as well.

Ideas? Don't tell me to get a phone.

I have a bluetooth usb dongle for my PC

Will something like bluestacks get me where I need to be?
13 REPLIES 13

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Are you referring to the setup process for Quest?

I'm presuming it will be like Oculus GO and you will need a mobile to set it up mate.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

nalex66
MVP
MVP
You may also be able to do the setup with an iPad or Android tablet. I have the app installed on my iPad and it works with the Go.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

GM_DAVE
Explorer
I use a Samsung Galaxy TAB A 10.1. Everything works great. I don't think it even has to be on or around after your set up. It's kind of goofy if you ask me. But the head set id just a glorified cell phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wound up having to upgrade from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to a Samsung J3 just to setup my Go. The GS3 was too old, and wouldn't load the most current Android, needed for the Oculus app to work.

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer

I sent a message to support, but I figured I'd throw it here as well.

Ideas? Don't tell me to get a phone.

Borrow one from someone else for the ten minutes it's needed.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
It does say on the main page that marshmallow 6.0 or higher is required. As above borrow a phone? Apple or Android
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

w_benjamin
Adventurer
I did indeed have to borrow a phone, as the tablet I purchased with 6.0 on it (specifically to use with the Quest) was still not compatible with the app.
Luckily, I have not needed it since the initial process.
While I had it, I set up a development account with Oculus so I could turn off the guardian system, which I really love doing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did indeed have to borrow a phone, as the tablet I purchased with 6.0 on it (specifically to use with the Quest) was still not compatible with the app.
Luckily, I have not needed it since the initial process.
While I had it, I set up a development account with Oculus so I could turn off the guardian system, which I really love doing.

I was wondering why the Guardian disable feature was showing in my Quest. I'd read you needed to enable developer mode, which I haven't done yet with the Quest, yet the feature was available. I did however set up the developer account for my Go...I guess it crossed over to my Quest(?).

edit: Actually, using the Oculus app on my phone, it shows my Quest as 'not' being in developer mode. I guess the guardian feature shows up regardless.

kojack
MVP
MVP

I have a bluetooth usb dongle for my PC

Will something like bluestacks get me where I need to be?

Bluestacks doesn't support bluetooth.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2