New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest: Screen casting not working (Samsung Galaxy S9 / Nvidia Shield)

13»

Comments

• gaetan.lecoarergaetan.lecoarer Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have a Asus Zenfone, and it doesn't work either. Casting freezes after 5 seconds. It's truely annoying
  • Obel1xObel1x Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    voorburg said:
    Same here, continues headset disconnects immediately after starting casting.
    I have the same issue. the headset disconnects after starting casting (to chromecast). Using Oculus app on iPhone.
  • softtouchphsofttouchph Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Same here with a Google Pixel 3XL. It start just fine, and after a couple of seconds, there is just a message on the phone that the connection was disconnected.
  • SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Posts: 155
    Art3mis
    Could it be the old issue.... your router is using the same SSID for both 2.4 & 5ghz bands?
  • crapthingscrapthings Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited October 2019
    same here with honor magic 2 freeze after 4s, and i can't find my nvidia shield on same wifi both 2g or 5g
  • jackburton09jackburton09 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    AFTER THE UPDATE i can cast to s10 without issue and its steady the last update mad ea use difference ;)
  • karacsonyi.attilakaracsonyi.attila Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited November 2019
    I have Samsung S9+ - I can cast from Quest to phone without problem but I also have a Chromecast (3rd gen) dongle connected to TV, but that is not visible in the Oculus app when I want to select where I want to cast to. :( What can I do??? :( please help.
  • Baxwar2092Baxwar2092 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Huawei users, 

Make sure you go to battery settings, then app launch, search for Oculus app, and turn off manage automatically, Huawei kills alot of app activity in the background due to power consumption. 
  • Chiron_MustermannChiron_Mustermann Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Unfortunately the hint with the app launch wasn't successful for me on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro
  • br0466br0466 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I found the solution to be to start casting from my phone, then start casting again from the headset, then confirm the casting on the phone again. It's worked for me flawlessly ever since. I am using a 5ghz wifi connection so idk if that impacts it.
  • SCUDIZZLSCUDIZZL Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm not sure if anyone said it here already, or if it was on another forum, but I saw somewhere someone mentioned disabling mobile data. That worked for me.

Initially, I wasn't able to cast from my Quest to my OnePlus 7Pro or my girlfriend's S10 but it worked fine once mobile data was disabled.  B)
  • roberto.hradecroberto.hradec Posts: 7
    Brain Burst
    edited June 1
    So, today is June 1st, so it's being MORE THAN A YEAR that people cant cast to Huawei, Google Pixel 3XL, and other models, and apparently nothing has been done about it by Oculus, since now I have an Umidigi A5 Pro, and after 2-3 seconds the casting freezes! 

I've tried everything that was mentioned in this thread, nothing works... disabling power saving for the oculus app, disabling mobile data, etc... NOTHING changes the behaviour of 2-3 seconds freeze because IT'S A FREAKING BUG IN THE OCULUS APP THAT OCULUS IS NOT FIXING IT OR EVEN GIVING ATTENTION TO ITS COSTUMERS!!!

How I known it's a bug? because I've tried on my old iphone 5, and the same happens... after 2-3 seconds it freezes... I tried on another old chinese android device I have (android 4.4) SAME THING!! I tried on my Asus TF201 running android 7.1!! SAME FREAKING THING!!! CASTS for 2-3 seconds and STOPS!!

I even tried a different WIFI ROUTER with a different WIFI NETWORK SETUP... SAME THING!!!  (And I never use 2.4 and 5.0ghz wifi over the same SSID)

I tried shutting off the android devices and the quest and turn then back on... SAME THING!! Freezes after 2-3 seconds!

ALSO, neither my Quest or the oculus app can see my Nvidia Shield Chromecast on the same wifi, or my other chromecast device also on the same wifi. (btw, ALL MY ANDROID DEVICES can see my nvidia shield chromecast just fine... it's kinda ridiculous that the chromecast shows up on the android cast tab when I slide it down, having the oculus app right behind it not showing anything!!!)

So basically, I have 4 devices and can't cast to ANY OF THEN!! 

I guess this is the worse technical support case and lack of consideration for clients I ever saw... It's absolutely ridiculous (and misleading to say the least) to buy a device that claims it can do something simple like cast to chromecast, and after A WHOLE YEAR, it's still not fixed!! 

It's not like chromecast is something new right? after all EVERY newer android device can cast to any chromecast... Netflix, youtube, crunchyroll, prime video... they all can cast to nvidia shield and chromecast without any issues... and the quest/go struggle arguing that the problem is wifi, chromecast version, etc???!!!! Basically throwing the responsibility of a BUG into the customer setup?? Seriously? 

Is Oculus going to do something about this or do we have to start spreading this frustration everywhere? 
  • DonJabolDonJabol Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi all,
    unfortunatrly, very simillar situation to Roberto`s in my case. I tried:
    Samsung Galaxy s9
    Samsung galaxy 10
    Two different samsung tablets
    Google chromecast via HDMI
    Chromecast app on smart TV
    Wifi via 2,4, Wifi via 5ghz, Mobile LTE (internet sharing)
    Nothing seems to work stable or at all.
    Best results with chromecast app on tv, second best on chromecast dongle but far from usable hence very unstable.
    To round it up, casting on quest is still garbage in mid 2020.
  • psychosammyboypsychosammyboy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi guys, I know this is an old forum, but I resolved my casting issues to my iPhone XR (using a Unifi AP Pro) by changing my DNS server on my DHCP settings to be Googles 8.8.8.8 (previously this was set to use PiHole).
    Not sure if it's a coincidence or a PiHole issue!

• dmitry.mokeyevdmitry.mokeyev Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 30
    I found the solution (for Samsung S9):
    in Oculus app go to Settings -> Casting
    There is only one option: PERMISSIONS REQUIRED FOR CASTING
    You will have to grant permission from your headset every time you start casting (I checked do not ask again for that in a headset)
    The problem is, of course, Oculus developers :) But anybody can fix it on your own.

IMPORTANT!
    Close all opened app in a Headset (this permission checker does not appear on the top)
    Then grant permission using your phone Oculus app and start casting from the phone. The popup windows with permission appear in a headset. Stupid... 

• CBF51CBF51 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same with xiaomi Mi 9