New Rift S Defective?? Cameras become "Static" or "TV Snow" in just SECONDS — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

New Rift S Defective?? Cameras become "Static" or "TV Snow" in just SECONDS

Chips4hoyChips4hoy Posts: 18
NerveGear
edited May 22 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
I just bought a Rift S, and I experienced Guardian setup for a few seconds before the cameras shut off and my screen turned to snow / TV static.  After restarting my PC I was actually able to get a visual and completed setting up my playing space, and was greeted by the main menu --- only to see my screen return to snow / TV static again.  Does anyone else have this problem with their BRAND NEW RIFT S?   I'm hoping this can be fixed or else I will have to return this device and / or hope this problem is resolved...

Comments

• Chips4hoyChips4hoy Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    edited May 22
    Update: After reconnecting the Rift S and a couple PC restarts I managed to get to the virtual "home" menu and that nice inviting setting, but only after a few seconds my camera sensors cut off and i then see nothing but static.  Hopefully not defective and just needs a firmware / patch????
    NerveGear
    I used my phone to capture what i see even after setting up my guardian space.  Seeing my room doesn't last long at all
  • duy.moduy.mo Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hey

I had the same problem for the first hour or so. I couldn't reset the guardian and passthrough was not working unless I completely reset my system.

I connected to a different USB port, still had the problem. Changed it to a third USB port and it's been smooth sailing for 3-4 hours now with no tracking or camera issues.
    NerveGear
    duy.mo said:
    Hey

I had the same problem for the first hour or so. I couldn't reset the guardian and passthrough was not working unless I completely reset my system.

I connected to a different USB port, still had the problem. Changed it to a third USB port and it's been smooth sailing for 3-4 hours now with no tracking or camera issues.
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion! i'll try it out, though for me it kind of sucks because i currently have my oculus plugged into the "VR Ready" labeled usb port, but i'll try my other 3.0 ports and see if i can get similar results to yours.  I appreciate your help, will update....
  • stim21stim21 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Tried all of the above and I'm still having issues (updated windows, graphics card, installed the two firmware updates, ensured usb power settings both in the cpanel and device manager, swapped usb ports & display ports, restarted several times) can't get more than ten minutes of playtime... guess I'll hope a firmware update comes out ASAP or return it :neutral:
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 377
    Trinity
    The latest STEAMVR Beta update:

Oculus:
    • Fixed haptics on Rift S controllers.
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1613890529289268803

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 188
    Art3mis
    KeytarGT said:
    I used my phone to capture what i see even after setting up my guardian space.  Seeing my room doesn't last long at all
    Maybe an Easter Egg?

• DubitshuDubitshu Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Nearly the same here : New Rift s and cant go through guardian setup : I got video a few seconds but black and white and a little choppy (but the ui IS displayed ok) and then it cuts off before I Can complete the setup. 

Tried Oculus procédure (plug and unplug cables, restart service), switched cables to every available USB port, updated drivers, clean GPU driver install... Computer is a brand New vr ready laptop. Im becoming a bit desperate here if anyone as an Idea it would be much welcome !
  • SinsinfulSinsinful Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    After a full day dealing with the same nonsense and no reply to my ticket with Oculus I'm just getting going to start looking for a refund. If this is their support on their "Flagship" headset what chance have we got in the future with problems. This lunch is a joke. Apparently they know it does not work with ASMedia  USB hubs and said NOTHING.
    I am enraged to the point were a refund is the only way to go here due to the lack of official response from Oculus.
  • CatalpaBowCatalpaBow Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have exactly the same problem
    The same problem occurred on other PCs, so it may be a hardware problem.
  • robinoculusnlrobinoculusnl Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I've had this issue too yesterday, scared that it was broken, but I tried restarting Oculus in the Beta settings and that worked for me.
  • PantalaimonPantalaimon Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Same problem here. Was able to install and setup the Rift S without a hitch yesterday, but today, after a few minutes I noticed the positional tracking wasn't working anymore. Switching to passthrough, there was nothing but snow.

Taking the HMD off and putting it on again reactivates the camera, but it never lasts for longer than a few minutes. This makes the device virtually unusable. If Oculus doesn't address this soon, I'm gonna have to ask for a refund..

• RethexRethex Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    In my case my Oculus Rift S after playing for a bit suddenly stops working, my hands are stuck in position and my head only moves on 3DOF , sensors stopped working since I check the Passthrough+ and it is only static noise.

I can make it work again by restarting the headset in the beta settings, problem is that while I am gaming , every X minutes my headset shows me static for 1 second, like, I am in any game or app and suddenly all I see is static noise and then it recovers.

I hope it's the cable or a usb glitch that can be fixed...
  • DavyJonesLkrDavyJonesLkr Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Having the same exact problems here.  We've tried EVERYTHING.  The only thing we haven't tried and it's been a fix for others I've been reading, is installing a new USB 3.0 PCI express card.  We're currently trying to connect to the 3.0 slots on the motherboard.  Submitted a t-ticket to Oculus a couple days ago and have yet to hear anything.  Anyway, I'm picking up a new USB PCIe card on the way home from work this afternoon.  Hoping that will fix all of our issues.  Fingers crossed
    NerveGear
    Update 5/23/2019:  I have since tried my oculus on a different USB 3.0 port than my boldly-labeled "VR Ready" USB port. I have played an hour or two worth of Contractors and Job Sim for starters, flawless experience. .  I have since not seen the initial problem I experienced from my day one, though I won't push my luck, will update later.  

Regardless, i shouldn't have to change usb ports just to have fun with this device, -- Dear devs at Oculus: Please roll out firmware update!!!!
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    @KeytarGT did you have a RIFT installed in that VR Ready USB slot prior?
  • llsenllsen Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have this same problem. A temporary fix in the beginning was unplugging the cords from the computer, but now even that doesn't work. The fix only lasts from anywhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes. What can I do??
    Wintermute
    @llsen did you have a RIFT installed in that VR Ready USB slot prior?
    NerveGear
    @MAC_MAN86 ; No, I did not. What would that affect?

Wintermute
    edited May 23
    If it needed to clear any memory of old RIFT's resources as often we had to use the exact same slot each time for certain USB devices e.g. Dongles which these are in effect.
    Just try it with RIFT S Audio Disabled in Audio Settings (not Uninstalled)
    NerveGear
    edited May 23
    Update 5/23/2019:

I received a reply for my support ticket regarding this matter.  The response is as follows:

"Hi there!

Thanks for contacting Oculus Support regarding your Rift S becomes static or snowing before shutting off. I'd be glad to look into this.

Before we result to exchange, may we know if you're getting a black screen on the headset? Please try these steps to resolve the issue as follows;

1. Disconnect and Reconnect your Rift S from your computer. To do this:

• Unplug the USB cable from your computer.
      • Unplug the mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable from your computer.
      • Wait 5 seconds.
      • Re-plug your USB cable into your computer.
      • Wait 5 seconds.
      • Re-plug your mini DisplayPort or Display port cable into your computer.
    2. Unplug and Re-plug your Rift S headset as follows:

• Carefully remove the facial interface from your headset. This will allow you to access the cable.
      • Unplug the cable from the headset.
      • Wait 5 seconds.
      • Insert the cable back into your headset.
      • Insert the facial interface back into your headset.
    3. Restart your Oculus Service. Here are the list:

• Open the Oculus app on your computer.
      • Click Settings on the left side of the app.
      • Click Beta at the top of the settings options.
      • Click Restart Oculus.

Please let me if this works!

Best Regards,

[name of representative]
    Oculus Support"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm about to submit a reply to the rep stating that my oculus doesn't at any point shut off, but rather I remain on the "snowy" screen resulting in the headset being unable to detect the controllers, as well as being unable to see anything.  And:  Heck yeah i disconnected / reconnected / restarted everything a million times.  Has anyone else gotten an actual response?

Edit:  The fact that the representative even mentions the possibility of exchange makes me wonder if this is hardware issue or something that can be remedied via firmware / software???  

NerveGear
    I have only gotten that response, directly from the chat support. They were nice about it, but I do not think there is a permanent fix just yet... @KeytarGT
  • stim21stim21 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I got almost the same response (without the exchange sentence). I found those directions yesterday... of course none of that works. I updated my motherboard drivers thinking that it might help, but that didn't help either. Also reinstalled Oculus etc. to no avail. Did get a 20 min beat saber session in today before I got static again. When it works, it's pretty great. Also should note that the steam VR beta fixed the Rift S touch vibration issue. Really, really hope a simple firmware update will fix this issue. More help can't come sooner!!
    NerveGear
    Saw this in another thread.  Worth a shot guys!

https://uploadvr.com/how-to-fix-rift-s-tracking/
  • PantalaimonPantalaimon Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    KeytarGT said:
    Saw this in another thread.  Worth a shot guys!

https://uploadvr.com/how-to-fix-rift-s-tracking/
    Thanks for the link. I've tried those, but sadly these didn't resolve the issue for me...
  • Cool_MC_CoolCool_MC_Cool Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    take a look here mates :)
  • auxiliaryxxauxiliaryxx Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Rethex said:
    In my case my Oculus Rift S after playing for a bit suddenly stops working, my hands are stuck in position and my head only moves on 3DOF , sensors stopped working since I check the Passthrough+ and it is only static noise.

I can make it work again by restarting the headset in the beta settings, problem is that while I am gaming , every X minutes my headset shows me static for 1 second, like, I am in any game or app and suddenly all I see is static noise and then it recovers.

I hope it's the cable or a usb glitch that can be fixed...
    EXACT problem I have, keep in touch 613-903-9339
  • ColgateV1ColgateV1 Posts: 1
    NerveGear

FOR THOSE UNABLE TO RESOLVE:

Just an FYI for anyone who can't manage to fix it, I tried virtually everything and below is the gist of my chat with support last night:
    My Rift S worked perfect out of the box when I received it and a couple days after. However, after a few days of not playing, I returned and now my headset either (a) is a black screen with 3 loading dots, (b) asks me to set up the Guardian except it's a completely static screen, and/or (c) I see my Oculus Home, except my touch controllers are so out of whack and useless. They're frozen in one position and it's usually behind or above me.
    I've tried everything:
    >Windows updates are completed
    >All of the latest drivers for my GPU
    >Restarted PC
    >Restarted Oculus app (Beta > Restart Oculus)
    >Different USB 3.0 ports (2 of which are labeled "VR Ready")
    >Different DisplayPort
    >Unplugged/replugged the cable directly from headset
    >Removed the Rift S device from the Oculus software and set it up again (worked for a couple seconds, then went back to static)
    >Used the Repair option for Oculus software
    >Removed batteries from both Touch controllers and inserted again
    Immediately after sending that to chat, he asked for all my info and advised he'll have to take it to email and it's likely it'll have to be replaced:
    (06:11:14 AM) William RG: Thanks (myrealname). At this point we will have to move to email.
    (06:11:33 AM) William RG: Do you have any further questions before we do?
    (06:11:52 AM) (myrealname): What happens going forward? Is it likely I'll need a replacement?
    (06:13:28 AM) (myrealname): It's just really frustrating and I know that a ton of other people are experiencing the same issues that I have and most haven't had any resolutions
    (06:14:01 AM) William RG: At this point, we will be looking into replacing the device, yes.
    (06:15:15 AM) William RG: Due to a high volume of tickets there may be some delays, but we will get to your issue as soon as we can. I certainly understand your frustration with this situation, it's definitely not the experience we want to give people.

So it appears to be an issue with the headset for me. Hopefully you guys have better luck! Otherwise, try the above and if that doesn't work, contact support.
    NerveGear
    OP Update 5/29/19: After restarting, reinstalling, re-seating, and trying new USB ports I still encounter the same issues from the start very randomly.  My longest gaming sessions lasted maybe a couple hours before black out.

At this point, has anyone actually replaced their headset?  If so, are you encountering similar (or even the same) problems???  I've just about had it up to here with my headset and am considering return and replacement.
  • hellbringeranushellbringeranus Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    I had same problem as you and returned it on the 24th of may will be receiving a new unit next week so hopefully that will solve the issue for me.