New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Black Screen with Rift S in Setup

Comments

• LBayardLBayard Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    @Gunderwulde The MSI drivers are specific to the laptop model. The link for drivers for my GS65 stealth is here: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GS65-Stealth-Thin-8RE#down-driver&Win10%2064

you can find your laptop here:
    https://www.msi.com/Laptops/

then go to the Support tab
    you should find your laptop's graphics driver in Driver->Select OS->+VGA
  • MikePixelPusherMikePixelPusher Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    LBayard said:
    After upgrading the Oculus software, and firmware, my Rift S was rebooting every 25 seconds, which was better than not booting at all.
    I downgraded my NVidia drivers to 398.35 - which is available from the MSI website. I can confirm that my headset is now working with the miniDP. I do have a minor gripe with Robo recall being a bit jaggy at times, but everything is good now
    So in your option should I buy it again? Thanks for the update!  
    System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

• LBayardLBayard Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    @MikePixelPusher Did you end up returning yours? I was going to return mine to Oculus, but then I saw the update. 

In my opinion, if you did return it, wait for the kinks to be ironed out because this has been frustrating for pretty much all of us. I really didn't like having a headset that I couldn't use for almost a week. Also, if the firmware updates and driver downgrade don't work on your laptop, you'll be back where you started, waiting for a solution.
  • FeralReaperFeralReaper Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    @Gunderwulde @Techy111 I can't seem to locate the specific one ya'll downgraded to.. which version should I downgrade to? I have a lot to choose from...

The "BETA" one is from 2017

Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    This is the support response I just received concerning the blackout issue. 

"Hi Michael,

I apologize for the delay in getting to you; as Rory mentioned, the launch has us busier than usual.

We're preparing to roll out an update to resolve some connection and tracking issues, and I'd like to test this patch on your computer. The patch is available on the Public Test Channel.

To opt in, go to Settings, then Beta, and click the tab next to Public Test Channel. The software will download and install an update, then restart. After that, it should update the firmware on both the headset and the Touch controllers.

Once everything is done updating, please test the Rift S and let me know if the issue continues."

Let me know if this works for anyone.

Brain Burst
    @MikePixelPusher Where is this page? link?

Brain Burst
    I found it. Did this work for anyone?
    Brain Burst
    Unfortunatley I already shipped mine back for a f***(ing replacement
    Brain Burst
    Unfortunatley I already shipped mine back for a f***(ing replacement
    I returned mine The day before I got the support message.. That is why I want to know if this fixed it.

Brain Burst
    oof
    Brain Burst
    My buddy tried it, so far it won't even go into set up. it isn't verifying the connection of USB or DP. Just circles around on that set up screen forever.
    @MikePixelPusher
    Brain Burst
    Their patch made the issue worse.
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    Well here i am trying to find a fix for this intermitant black screen on death and was just told by a friend to try the beta patch, thank god i didnt if it has bricked headsets
    i dont know whats more annoying is that many are having problems but none of the reviews are having none of them,
  • MikVR7MikVR7 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Hey! Oculus Beta-update to version 1.38 worked for me!!

First I tried 3 different pcs (with gtx 1060 and gtx 1070) and version 1.37, but on all three pcs the oculus rift s remained black. I did the Windows 10 update to 1903 and it didn't work, and switching to another display port also didn't work. I did not try downgrading the geforce driver.
    Brain Burst
    MikVR7 said:

First I tried 3 different pcs (with gtx 1060 and gtx 1070) and version 1.37, but on all three pcs the oculus rift s remained black. I did the Windows 10 update to 1903 and it didn't work, and switching to another display port also didn't work. I did not try downgrading the geforce driver.
    What type of computers to you have? Laptops or Desktops?

• sephrothsephroth Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I just got my rift s today, can't get the display to work. Updated windows, downgraded clean install of Nvidia drivers, beta update in Oculus, repaired Oculus install, still no joy. Tried on my PC with a rtx 2080, and in my 2019 blade advanced with rtx 2060. Oculus app always says display port not connected. 
    NerveGear
    MikVR7 said:

What type of computers to you have? Laptops or Desktops?
    All three were Desktop PCs (i7 7700k and i7 6700k, 16gb ram)
    NerveGear
    and by the way: at some games i don't get any sound from the oculus rift s, like the oculus introduction game or dirt rallye. at other games the sound was there, like space pirates trainer, or the default oculus home screen. tried to change some settings, but nothing worked.
    NerveGear
    update: job simulator and angry birds vr don't work. angry birds says "vr device not found" and job simulator stays black, says nothing. will try some more vr games later and give you an update.

Brain Burst
    They are on a ROLL with this firmware.
    Brain Burst
    is ANYONE able to make this thing work?
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 510
    Neo
    Yep, mine is working flawlessly now since the firmware update. Now I have said that...it will probably die tomorrow :D
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    is ANYONE able to make this thing work?
    Yes.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,292 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    I took a look at many of the Amazon reviews this morning.
    While just looking at the forums here would lead one to believe the S is a fail, obviously that is not the case.
    There are quite a number of very positive reviews on Amazon.
    I am one of the unlucky ones, as mine died but I am sending back to Amazon for replacement - hoping I get a good unit this time.

I am sure the return rate is higher than what Oculus would like or expected, but likely not near as bad as the impression the forums here leave.  
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    OK so now they got Returned Units they are hugely LIABLE to state what was at fault here!
    Wintermute
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    OK so now they got Returned Units they are hugely LIABLE to state what was at fault here!
    Why?  Their liability is not with the forum dwellers - no matter how entitled they may feel :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Wintermute
    I see, so Forum Members are NOT likely to be customers and in the unlikely possibility they did and have any issues then the manufacturer may just as well ignore them as the problem will either disappear OR they will just buy the extra tech of a Powered USB device they forgot we needed!
    Wintermute
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    I see, so Forum Members are NOT likely to be customers and in the unlikely possibility they did and have any issues then the manufacturer may just as well ignore them as the problem will either disappear OR they will just buy the extra tech of a Powered USB device they forgot we needed!
    Odd, my S works fine without an extra powered USB device - you may have needed one though - but it isn't mandatory :)
    I don't recall any business being "LIABLE" to consumers and others on a website... 
    Rift S
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    It comes under faulty products from not getting a perfectly working device. They are indeed Liable for it. HP already did a recall due to faulty units producing red bands on displays. Some users will suck it up just like your RIFT S may not have seen issues if not tested for long enough constantly nor on the game that stretches it and by that I don't mean on the edge of it performing. They lose performance and eventually crash just as mine right now after 2hours Elite...goes monochrome then crashes. If they were not Liable and that means telling the Users, then they could get away with defective products. Thus laws are such!
    Brain Burst
    I no longer have the black screen issue but now after the update it went from seeing the cables connected to not being able to read them and my controllers are blinking like crazy