New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Black Screen with Rift S in Setup

Comments

• FeralReaperFeralReaper Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Mind you this is the REPLACEMENT unit
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    Mind you this is the REPLACEMENT unit
    That does not make me feel very good for whenever I do get my replacement.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • FeralReaperFeralReaper Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    yeah, the base level support people that we talk to, and the ones doing the ticket probably aren't the devs/admins/engineers.

The Device wasn't faulty, the flippin firmware is
  • MikePixelPusherMikePixelPusher Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    edited June 1
    I had the problem where the rift would blackout after 30secs but I would still hear sound. I returned it and I decided I would wait a bit till they worked things out. Do you guys think I should buy one again? 
    System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

• popy05popy05 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited June 1
    I had sound but no picture in my Rift S , what i did was went to settings in Oculus Home/Dash or whatever it's called , Beta , activated Public Test Channel , updated all the firmware when prompted , unplugged the Rift s for about 10 seconds , plugged it back in , put the headset on & Oculus home starts every time now when i put the Rift S on . This may not work for everyone but it definitely worked for me . :)
  • LomLom Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    The beta patch finaly fixed my black screen error, just for you to know
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 969
    3Jane
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    It comes under faulty products from not getting a perfectly working device. They are indeed Liable for it. HP already did a recall due to faulty units producing red bands on displays. Some users will suck it up just like your RIFT S may not have seen issues if not tested for long enough constantly nor on the game that stretches it and by that I don't mean on the edge of it performing. They lose performance and eventually crash just as mine right now after 2hours Elite...goes monochrome then crashes. If they were not Liable and that means telling the Users, then they could get away with defective products. Thus laws are such!
    If there is an issue that is serious then a product recall (likely with serial number batching) would be made I'd assume...
    Only 2 hours in ED?  I think maybe you should return your unit as faulty and either request a replacement or a refund, although maybe a refund and alternative HMD would be a more viable proposition as you do appear to have had never-ending issues with Oculus hardware for the year or so I have been visible on the forum.

It is frustrating when technology doesn't perform as expected, but launch issues, these days, are part of the 'norm' it appears. (If even Microsoft with a development team the size of a large town can totally screw up a 'tested' update!) so either a great deal of patience is required or return the goods and wait until the kinks get ironed out.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • Teal1500Teal1500 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited June 4
    Okay so I have submitted a ticket already, I'm also on to something I think, I had this same issue, but just for giggles i installed the the nvidia 388 drivers as it wouldn't work with any of the 400 series drivers and it started working almost flawlessly, I say almost because I was getting "white snow" every once in a while, this whole experience has been really bizarre, I am going to be bringing this up when support gets back to me and we'll see if we can get this on the track of being fixed. Oh it should also be mentioned that I'm on a 1080 so this won't work with the 20 series GPU'S unfortunately.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Old Drivers haven't got ASW2. It won't be that. More likely the Audio has the Limiter problem thus causing it to over work and then builds up noise in the cable as it chokes on it. Like a damn or over heating and weakening it's shielding which they acknowledged.
    NerveGear
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Old Drivers haven't got ASW2. It won't be that. More likely the Audio has the Limiter problem thus causing it to over work and then builds up noise in the cable as it chokes on it. Like a damn or over heating and weakening it's shielding which they acknowledged.
    I'm not sure I follow, am i damaging the headset by using older drivers or should I just not touch the headset until this is dealt with?
    Wintermute
    No. If you haven't got later drivers which added ASW2 then you miss out on the efficiency of it's smoothing which is better than ASW1. There's nothing wrong in the very latest Driver. No need to use DDU to clean out unless there are serious issues but the ones we all experience are the same regardless of Driver, OS, and Runtime/PTC. 
    If it jitters just lower settings slightly as RIFT S demands a bit more due to pixel increase although at 10Hz lower @ 80Hz. If there's white snow it's a severe affect of the issue most probably. I do fear if the interference has damaged it by then. Wait it out until the last few days of a Returns date.
    NerveGear
    I can also try the beta branch and see if that fix's the white snow issue. It doesn't happen that often and i'm wondering if its a firmware issue.
    NerveGear
    Okay i'm pretty excited right now, i got the Rift S working on the latest nvidia drivers, This is probably gonna sound weird to some of you, the way i got it working was first unplugging the headset, going into Device manager and expanding Display Adapters and right clicking my 1080 and hitting Uninstall device and clicking the check box to delete driver software and then clicking okay, your screen is gonna flicker, after it finish's reboot, then go back to device manager and display adapters right click your GPU and scan for hardware changes then let windows install the nvidia driver, The way you know if its done is if you right click your desktop and see nvidia control panel, after that plug in the headset wait for any loading rings to stop and see if the headset turns on correctly, if it does go through setup of Guardian and all that then you can try installing the latest drivers, if you have a 1080 windows will install nvidia 418.93 i think it is, i hope this helps you guys too, i'll let you know if it stops working at all.
    Brain Burst
    Anybody having success with laptops, specifically MSI laptops?

• ZemzamZemzam Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the 15" version of your exact laptop. Same processor, same GPU. Mine goes to black screen after 30-60 seconds and doesnt come back until I unplug everything. Never stays on longer than 30-60 seconds. Audio still works, but screen is totally off. 
    Brain Burst
    Zemzam said:
    I have the 15" version of your exact laptop. Same processor, same GPU. Mine goes to black screen after 30-60 seconds and doesnt come back until I unplug everything. Never stays on longer than 30-60 seconds. Audio still works, but screen is totally off. 
    This is what support sent me:

"We're preparing to roll out an update to resolve some connection and tracking issues, and I'd like to test this patch on your computer. The patch is available on the Public Test Channel.

To opt in, go to Settings, then Beta, and click the tab next to Public Test Channel. The software will download and install an update, then restart. After that, it should update the firmware on both the headset and the Touch controllers.

Once everything is done updating, please test the Rift S and let me know if the issue continues."

I had returned mine before I could try it. It might work for you.

Wintermute
    The verdict on that patch was it solved nothing.
  • sephrothsephroth Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    For what it's worth, I've been struggling for the last week with my Rift S that had display port connectivity issues. Finally got fed up and returned it to Amazon, but they didn't have any in stock to replace with. Went to BestBuy, picked up a new one. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I plugged it in the first time it just work. No issues whatsoever. I didn't even restart my computer from the last time I couldn't make my original unit work. My opinion, if you have an issue, refund and re-order. 
    Wintermute
    That's not enough time to test. Everyone that posts "it fixed it!" here later finds out it doesn't.
    Not 1 User has repeatedly came out and declared "THIS FIXED IT FOR ME - NO FLASHES/BLACKSCREENS OR CRASHES OR LOSS OF TRACKING". Well it depends on the game you play. Elite:Dangerous and PokerstarsVR can take between 1 - 2 hours for a crash but gets flashes on average 1 per 30mins.
    I seriously think nobody has a fix. They are just tolerant to these issues and the games they play are less prone.
  • hscheckhscheck Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I have not had a single problem on the MSI laptop since rolling back the NVIDIA driver (posted earlier in this thread).  I use it several hours at a time per day, every day.  However, if you don't want to mess with it and have the funds, get an Oculus certified "Oculus Ready" machine.  I don't mind getting in on the ground floor and tinkering when it is just me.  But, when it is needed to publicly demo, it needs to dependably work.  All of the issues I had with the MSI laptop prior to rolling back the NVIDIA driver were not present on an Alienware 15 R4 laptop.  It just worked.  Same Rift S.

Wintermute
    edited June 7
    @hscheck What games you using for Public Demos and does anyone play constantly without a break over 2hours?
    Tell us what Driver Version you use here.
    NerveGear
    I posted the NVIDIA driver version in my initial post earlier in this thread (ver 417.71).  It is the latest downloadable driver on MSI's site for the GP73.  During the demos, no one person plays over 15 minutes at a time.  But, the laptop and Rift S are constantly on.  Multiple people consecutively playing the same game easily consumes 2 hours.  And, I definitely play one game over 2 hours at a time on my own time.  BAM VR, H3, Gun Club VR,  Audio Shield, Sound Boxing, Space Pirate Trainer, Beat Saber, Box VR, Dead & Buried 1 & 2, Drop Dead, and Serious Sam VR The Last Hope to name a few of the more popular ones.  However, games aside, the issue I was having with the MSI was a blackout 20 seconds after startup (didn't get past Oculus setup).  I no longer have that issue after rolling back the NVIDIA driver.  As of yet, with over a week of constant use, I have had no crashes, flashes, or tracking issues (hope I haven't just jinxed myself by saying that).

Wintermute
    OK thanks I have that Driver saved already as it is 3 previous ones to what I have as latest 430.86 (labelled as compatible with RIFT S). Can you confirm the onboard sound does not increase from 50% but gets further compressed?
    NerveGear
    Not sure how to confirm the sound compression.  I disable the headset's sound and feed the laptop's 'speaker out' into a JBL Charge 3.  Sounds great, bass and all.
    Wintermute
    edited June 8
    OK play music on full volume on its player. Use RIFT S Audio and increase it gradually from 0 to 100 on the RIFT S Volume and listen for a steady increase in volume or it seems to level out at 50 and sounds squashed when going higher.
    NerveGear
    I switched the audio to the Rift S headphones and played a few YouTube music videos from the browser.  The volume doesn't peak at 50.  There is a gradual discernible difference in volume from 10 to 100 with the slider (can't hear anything under 10).  No clipping or distortion throughout the audible range.  Are you referring to a specific player/app?
    Wintermute
    edited June 8
    I set Windows Media Player OR YouTube and the gradient slows after 50% due to having any Bass playing. So if also using the Bass Boost then the limiting hits it very hard to drop the sound by half! This is how I hear the volume is not at it's potential by it Peak Limiting the Bass we don't hear enough of. As soon as there's no Bass playing mid-songs or start/ends then the volume pumps up double!

It takes 10dB to double Volume Levels so by using 90Hz +6dB is reducing the possible volume by about 1/2 but at least it gives us the Bass we don't get when it's without Boost.
    NerveGear
    Ok.  I played a few bass boosted songs off of YouTube.  Yep, there is a noticeable drop in volume during the bass.  I can't say this is an issue for me personally because I don't use the HMD to watch movies or play music.  And, typically, I pipe the sound directly from the PC/laptop to an external speaker.
  • paolo666paolo666 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Zemzam said:

"We're preparing to roll out an update to resolve some connection and tracking issues, and I'd like to test this patch on your computer. The patch is available on the Public Test Channel.

To opt in, go to Settings, then Beta, and click the tab next to Public Test Channel. The software will download and install an update, then restart. After that, it should update the firmware on both the headset and the Touch controllers.

Once everything is done updating, please test the Rift S and let me know if the issue continues."

THIS WORKED FOR ME!

I tried everything else. Even a windows reinstall.  But this Beta Driver seems fine. I had a black screen/No sound problem before and to get it working, I always had to switch display ports after very reboot. 

But this Beta driver seems to fix that! 

Good luck! 

Brain Burst
    edited June 10
    paolo666 said:
    Zemzam said:

THIS WORKED FOR ME!

I tried everything else. Even a windows reinstall.  But this Beta Driver seems fine. I had a black screen/No sound problem before and to get it working, I always had to switch display ports after very reboot. 

But this Beta driver seems to fix that! 

Good luck! 

Awesome paolo666! Anybody else with the same or similar MSI Laptop have success?  Thanks
    I may buy it again and give it a try...