New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

DapperladDapperlad Posts: 15
NerveGear
edited May 22 in Support
After setting up my Rift S this morning, I played for approximately 2 hours and ran into an issue in Beatsaber where my body movement was not longer being tracked and I couldn't move my sticks anymore. I went back to the home screen and noticed that my hands were stuck to my side and all I could do was rotate my controllers in place. I was also unable to see anything through the passthrough camera as it was just static.

I've disabled USB 3.0 power management in Windows
I've tried every USB 3.0 plug on my computer, the ones that do work now only last for 30 seconds to 3 minutes before static screen comes back and I lose tracking.
I've unplugged all others USB cables on my computer except keyboard and mouse.
Camera permissions are on for Windows 10
I've reseated the video cable in the headset itself.
Videocard Drivers are up to date
Windows 10 is completely up to date
Rift Firmware is up to date
I've reinstalled Oculus software and run the setup multiple times.

I've seen a few others on Reddit with the same problem. Is this a faulty batch of hardware here?

Comments

• hellbringeranushellbringeranus Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    I have the same problem I just gave up and now asked them to replace it for a different one
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,417 Volunteer Moderator
    Did you guys allow camera permission in win 10 ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Brain Burst
    it does actually work but after say either sometimes 2-15 mins hands get stuck been like it since I first installed it mine never worked longer than 15 mins lol

• DapperladDapperlad Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Yes camera permissions are on as well, I'll add that to the main post.

I believe the issue may be a faulty cable with the headset itself. After doing some experimentation, I noticed that if I tapped the splitter box where the Displayport Cable and USB cable separate, the blue light on front of the rift shuts off and I'm unable to see anything through the passthrough cameras.
    Brain Burst
    seems weird if it was the cable as with every reboot it always worked for a time
    NerveGear
    edited May 22
    Same, but I assume you took your headset off each time to do the reboot? I'm thinking the movements may be causing it to reconnect / disconnect when it's put on and off.

If you have a way to tape it down so that part of the cable doesn't move let me know if it fixes the issue, I'm trying it right now myself to see how long it lasts.
    NerveGear
    Further testing and I can't get it to reliably be fixed by keeping the cable stationary so that theory is out the window.
  • cybershrapnelcybershrapnel Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    I have this problem as well, I feel like I paid 400 bux to beta test broken hw!   I spent all day, I got it working 3 or 4 times unreliably, and everytime, I would lose tracking and go to static cameras, and the fact that they didn't include a usb c adapter for the rtx cards is a crime!!! WTF is this shit!?
    NerveGear
    I'm returning this to Amazon tomorrow. I've heard nothing from the support team on this issue and I've wasted good time trying to make this work. I sat out on the first Oculus release thinking they'd get the bugs out but clearly I was mistaken jumping in on this one.
    Brain Burst
    same here, I am very upset with the quality control. I have tracked the problem down to the splitter of the cable, hence it is a cable problem.... but once the issue triggers, there is no return. the software should be able to re-calibrate. not make your disconnect and reboot... very dis-enchanted right now. for the few minutes it did work it was awesome, but the cable ruins it...... Saved a few bucks on quality and now you are gonna get massive returns.... shame....
  • cmulberrycmulberry Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I’m having the same hand tracking issue with the Quest Touch Controllers. The only bandaid solution is to take out the batteries and put them back in. Buys 3-5 mins until the issue comes back. 
    Brain Burst
    I have a solution. It is a power issue to the headset not getting the required volts from the usb port for long enough.... Get a powered usb hub, plug it into the VR Ready port on the mobo, and then plug into the powered usb hub that way and it has been working very well. It was working almost well without the vr port but it was doing a random reset every 30 seconds that way which was annoying, but the vr port and a usb powered hub works great! so far (knock on wood)
  • SinsinfulSinsinful Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have ordered a new PCI-e USB 3.0 card for collection after work. Think it will do the same job?
    Brain Burst
    i do believe they are essentially a powered hub so yah, and I have heard from others that is a solution too, but I haven't confirmed..... I will tell you though, the pickyness of this thing and the usb ports seems like a fatal product flaw...
  • SinsinfulSinsinful Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    Same. I think we have faulty headsets.
    Brain Burst
    hmmm, I too believe the headsets are faulty. No way are they suppose to be this picky and finicky...... I still have mine working now, but that is surely not how they should work, needing a powered usb hub or pcie expansion.... or a specific usb port (and not the vr ready one lol)  It's clearly a power draw issue.  either the cable near the splitter or something with the headset itself....   Prolly gonna return it because I don't want to deal with this for the next 4 years on and off and I may want to use it on another machine.  which it sounds like won't work.... BTW, I have two MSI gaming pro mobos, one pro one plus, and a ryzen 2700x and a 2600x, one with a rtx 2070 and one with a gtx 1060 6gb, both 32gb 3000mhz ram and SSD drives.... so, I should not be having issues. and 1000 watt power supply...
    NerveGear
    hmmm, I too believe the headsets are faulty. No way are they suppose to be this picky and finicky...... I still have mine working now, but that is surely not how they should work, needing a powered usb hub or pcie expansion.... or a specific usb port (and not the vr ready one lol)  It's clearly a power draw issue.  either the cable near the splitter or something with the headset itself....   Prolly gonna return it because I don't want to deal with this for the next 4 years on and off and I may want to use it on another machine.  which it sounds like won't work.... BTW, I have two MSI gaming pro mobos, one pro one plus, and a ryzen 2700x and a 2600x, one with a rtx 2070 and one with a gtx 1060 6gb, both 32gb 3000mhz ram and SSD drives.... so, I should not be having issues. and 1000 watt power supply...
    My setup is very similar to yours. This whole thing has been a joke and I'm now going on 36 hours without a single response back from customer support.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Have you tried the opposite end DP? Give it a REBOOT just to clear any config of the other slot. Keep the USB attached. 
    Brain Burst
    I will comment that, that is one thing I did as well on top of the other things I mentioned. However, I must say it appeared to be the USB connection and not the DP... but I could be wrong. As I said, there seems to be something up with the splitter... maybe it's not letting enough power through the cable without an external power supply?
    Brain Burst
    OCULUS SUPPORT! Please respond to this issue!  It is not isolated and there are multiple threads regarding it here and on reddit!  And please stop telling us to reseat the cable!  FFS!
  • KnutsiVRTV-twitchKnutsiVRTV-twitch Posts: 145
    Art3mis
    edited May 23
    I had a similar issue, where the headset played well for 5 minutes, then hand tracking was suddenly lost (as I was queueing for an Echo VR game) and now it does not complete setup when I retry, saying "Sensors can't track headset".

Checked: camera privacy, driver updates, win updates, reinstalled software, tried on another PC, repaired software, tried another oculus account, tried all ports on PC, USB3 + 2 and DIsplayPort. 

As someone said: there is no way it can be this finicky. Either there is a severe software/firmware issue, or the headset is broken. I also notice the headset cable gets very warm on the USB end, which is weird.

Ticket submitted aprox 30 hours ago, but no reply. So I guess I will return the headset by mail, then then ...? Wait for a long time, then wait for a replacement to ship.. then I am away for two weeks? This was not a fun ride, or a good start for the Rift S at all 😞 I could just have picked it up in a store here, and maybe that would be faster. Took a day off work when it arrived as well. 
  • BLADE_13BLADE_13 Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    I finally fixed it!! What you want to do is get May 2019 update for windows and everything works!!  Now I can return that pci usb 3 card I got.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO
    Brain Burst
    I doubt it, judging by Oculus silence, they are silently patching this behind the scenes.....
    NerveGear
    PaulRJM said:
    I finally fixed it!! What you want to do is get May 2019 update for windows and everything works!!  Now I can return that pci usb 3 card I got.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO
    I just ran that update and installed it. My headset worked for about 15 minutes and then it lost tracking again. Very frustrating!
    NerveGear
    Also tried rolling back my nvidia drivers to 417.71 and that also worked for about 15 minutes and it died again.

Hey support, anyone want to answer for this or are you just happy to have our money?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Uninstall/Reinstall USB HUBs and eXtensibles by Manual Selection of another available Driver?
    Brain Burst
    The lack of support on this issue is making me frustrated.... I like and even love the product when it is working, but this makes me wary to keep it....  I feel like I must return it.... rebuy later when kinks are worked out confirmed...  and if I never hear acknowledgement of this issue I will know better than to ever rebuy... very simple....
    Brain Burst
    I returned my oculus Rift S but apparently I wont get a replacement which pisses me off seriously as they are all sold out
    especially since I was hoping to play some VR on it. Damn you facebook company this is really really annoying