New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

Comments

• DevonOWDevonOW Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi,
    I’ve had the S for about 2 days, I’ve been all throughout this forum and I wanna add that I am also having this issue of tracking not working and also pass through showing static/snow/feedback. I don’t want the frustration I just want to know if there’s a solid solution to this or I’ll take the easy way out and return this product to not waste my time.
  • TeldjaTeldja Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    Hello,

I bought the Oculus Rift S 4 days ago and I had the same issue.
    The controller and my head movement were not being track any more after 10-20 minutes of use.
    And on top of that the "see through" feature stopped working as well, and displayed statics instead.

I applied the latest available (beta) update in the hope it could have been a bug software related. But Nope, it happened again but this time after an hour of use more or less.

This is very disappointing, I am going to return it and never bother with it ever again.
  • ThatGuyThimoThatGuyThimo Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I have had the rifts for a couple of weeks now and I have this problem 1 per day i do think its a problem with the usb but i don't know if its the cable or the usb itself.
    I have a msi b350m and i am using the vr ready port i will ask oculus for a replacement cable and will post the results here
  • ThatGuyThimoThatGuyThimo Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Just found this on the oculus site hopefully its just a firmware issue but I don't see why that would help.
    I'll just be patient and wait on oculus as my tracking isn't lost that much. 
  • k4rst3nk4rst3n Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    Just got my Rift S. Set it up and everyhting worked fine. About an hour or two my hands got stuck but I could still rotate them. Also when trying passthrough it only give static. CV1 worked without any problems. Tried another USB-port and rebooted computer and then it works for a couple of minutes till the hands get stuck again and static via passthrough!

Come on, how could this be? Please tell me this is a software problem and not a hardware one.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    k4rst3n said:
    Just got my Rift S. Set it up and everyhting worked fine. About an hour or two my hands got stuck but I could still rotate them. Also when trying passthrough it only give static. CV1 worked without any problems. Tried another USB-port and rebooted computer and then it works for a couple of minutes till the hands get stuck again and static via passthrough!

Come on, how could this be? Please tell me this is a software problem and not a hardware one.
    Suggestion only:  Check Device Manager for the Rift S camera, uninstall it then click to check for hardware changes - it will reinstall the camera with the 1.0.0.1 driver rather than the 1.0.0.0 one that installs (and is replaced by windows if you just choose the correct version).  This may help.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • k4rst3nk4rst3n Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2019
    Okay, dunno what I did but it seems to  have done the trick. Could play for almost a two hour session now without it "breaking", before it was only a couple of minutes. So here is what i did in no particular order:

* Checked all my stuff in Device Manager and the AMD USB 3.0/3.1 eXtensible Hos Controller hadn't had power management turn off, so I uncheck those too. (cv1 never complain but rift s complain about my usb drivers (especially the one called AMD) telling me to update even though I have the latest).

* Under Privacy and Camera in Win10  I only had the Oculus program allowed so I allowed everything in that list.

* I removed Rift S from Oculus, restarted the computer and readded it. It saved my boundery so I didn't do the whole setup again.

* Tried all of my four different USB 3.1 Gen2 before I ended up in the same one where I first had the problem.

This certainly seems like a software problem Oculus have. Because the passthrough worked all the time (tested it now and then) so there's no hardware fault to it because then it would be constant (like broken cameras or something).

I have no idea what this problem is so I really hope it's something they can fix since it seems that a lot of people have this problem. I'll report back here if it happens to me again.

Edit: Spoke to early, came back. Now I've bought a PIC-E 3.0 card to see if the works. Also reinstalling everything, but ofcourse oculus have server problems...

Edit2: Fixed it! Been working for two days without any problems now! The PCI-E USB 3.0 card fixed all my problems! Guess my MB USB didn't deliver enough power.
  • ErimadErimad Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I've been having this problem intensely on my main PC, but oddly enough my friends PC I've managed to play for multiple days without any issues even though both computers have very similar hardware. The only real difference I can think of is that I downloaded the Oculus app to my D drive where as he downloaded it to the C drive. In terms of hardware we both have 1050 ti's, 8 gigs of RAM, and I have a 1600, where he has a 2600 ryzen.

I'm going to get a display port adapter and test my laptop soon to see if it's broken on that machine too, ideally I could just use that if it isn't.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    In many cases where rift s "works for x amount of time and then..." solution has been power related. Could be computers power supply, but more likely USB port is not able to provide enough power or bandwidth. Externally powered USB hub or USB expansion card with direct connection to computers PSU should do the trick. As 1st aid unplugging other devices from computer could help some.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,330
    Project 2501
    k4rst3n said:

My hands teleport above my head and in front of my face when out of view of Rift S cameras for more then 5 seconds. It's so annoying. Then I have to waive my hand about to get the hand to teleport back to the correct position. It loses tracking all the time.

It's really immersion breaking when this happens.

It's been worse since the last few patches and I'm still not sure how to fix it. Also I think in fast moving games like VR sports like Beat Saber, Audica, Creed etc it can't keep up with your fast movements.

I'm at the stage now where I just think inside/out tracking sucks.

When I first ordered Valve Index I was excited for the FOV...but now I'm excited to just go back to outside/in tracking.

I really hope Rift CV2 is Constellation tracking too, I really really hope so.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • llZADDYllllZADDYll Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am having this same problem. I am returning this $400 dollar paper weight and getting the well reviewed and working INDEX. F oculus and its lack of customer support.
  • paulo1410paulo1410 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
    After a month researching and testing I think I know what cause the bug. The insue is caused by extreme heating on usb plug and motherboard chipset that causes data losses. You can solve this problem by 1) using a external usb pci-e (compatible with rift)  OR  2) just turn on a fan next to your opened pc cabinet to avoid the heating.
  • jglaubyjglauby Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I was reading through all of this because i was having the same issue. I was able to fix my issues by uninstalling it off of my physical drive and installing it back onto my main drive. I installed it on my secondary drive to save space, but my default c drive is an ssd and having oculus installed to there has seemingly fixed my issue. For now. Super hot is kinda dropping some frames but im not sure if thats just my computer or what
  • jglaubyjglauby Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Update: my super hot game was installed on my secondary drive. I've reinstalled that on my ssd and not physical drive, My c drive. And now it's working with no hiccups. I've played multiple games for hours two days now and havent had any issues. So for me it definitely the drive it was installed on.
  • MondogrundayMondogrunday Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    same issue, mostly black screen on startup.  after playing around for literally hours, i am able to get vision (no consistant way that can easily be repeated to accomplish this)  when i get vision, my hands (controllers) are locked, usually on floor or sometimes in front of my face or even above my head. over $600 canadian for this????  i have multiple monitors.  still happens with them unplugged.  worked for like first 2-3 days no prob. windows update was added due to recommendation by oculus software to update my usb drivers.  had been absolute trash since.  can't get it to work.  sending back if they cant provide fix within days

• TechScoutTechScout Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I had this same problem, the headset would work for 10-15 min and then do that. i did all the fixes i could find and i got it to stop. if you get another and have the same problem try enrolling into the public test channel in the oculus app cuz that gives you access to newer firmware/software updates that could fix the problem. the nagain you have to run the very low risk of the updates causing new problems but that rarely happens.so yeah try doing that if ya get a new one
  • basedssjbasedssj Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I'm currently having the issue now. It's frustrating as f*** I've done everything from updating ALL usb drivers that could be updated, to applying the firmware update, still gives out a few minutes into gameplay. I didn't spend 400$ to have something I can't even use. Well, here I go again doing stuff I already tried. Just gonna return it if it doesn't get fixed.
  • EtrongeEtronge Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue here,  comes  during the placement of the guardian and it's  really shitty. Send a ticket and waiting for an answer. For now, i'm trying to reinstall the oculus app. Already tried everything with the cables.
  • FliposideFliposide Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2019
    Same here. I just got my Rift S after being in VR since the start! And this is not great :(  The image is great compared to the CV1 but the tracking is poor. Hands disappearing and pass-through just shows static, after awhile. The only way to fix is to restart the Oculus service or reboot. Also, I get so hot in this compared to the CV1, Oh and the sound is TERRIBLE. I knew it was supposed to be bad but it was so much worse than I expected. I love to play bow games but you just can't use it, as tracking is lost when the bow is drawn :(
    Is there any way to fix this tracking I ave tried all the suggested fixes but no joy.
  • eromagosaeromagosa Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Are you playing with enough lighting? I had the same problem, I could play for a few minutes and suddenly the tracking fail.
    I have solved it by improving the lighting in the room.
  • antdemonantdemon Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    same problem here... my rift s have only 3 days....
  • rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    eromagosa said:
    Are you playing with enough lighting? I had the same problem, I could play for a few minutes and suddenly the tracking fail.
    I have solved it by improving the lighting in the room.
    This, anyone coming from the original Rift, you cannot play in a dark room at all.  You need lighting for the Rift-S.

For those that doesn't work.  uninstall the Oculus software. Then you need to go into Device Manager and uninstall (and check the box to delete the drivers) the superhub usb 3.0 driver, go into appdata and delete anything to do with Oculus. Restart the PC and then redo the setup 
  • FlybelFlybel Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    So, I have my Rift S for a few weeks as well and from the start I had this issue (suddenly my positional tracking for head and controllers is gone, I can only rotate and passthrough only shows noise/snow). I had my Rift connected to a USB 3 port on my motherboard.
    However now I have plugged the USB cable of the HMD in my external USB 3 hub which has its own power supply, and the issue never occurred again (tested in the last few days with quite a few hours of usage).

So apparently the issue is indeed power-related (as was suggested above by multiple people), and anything with a "dedicated" power supply should be able to fix the issue (USB hubs with external power supply or PCIe cards with a SATA power connector). 

And to everyone that has written stuff like not enough lighting or inside-out tracking sucks, no, inside-out tracking is great and achieves just what it tries to achieve and we are talking about an issue that is even known to Oculus (check this: https://support.oculus.com/294426521446490/ it says "we are working on software updates").
  • Paulus_NLPaulus_NL Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Which USB hubs or PCIe cards are you using and are working to fix the issue? Any tips/brands/numbers?

The losing tracking is making me go nuts -_-
  • Epic_PotatoEpic_Potato Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I had this problem for a while to fix it i used the virtual link port on my gpu with a usb c adapter and it seemed to fix the problem. here's a list of gpu's that have it.https://uploadvr.com/every-virtuallink-gpu/ 
  • ScaryMonstasScaryMonstas Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Guys I had this exact issue and I fixed it by using a usb c adaptor and plugging rift to virtual link in gpu directly, now I know not everyone is gonna have this port on the gpu but if you do it solves the power issues, at least for me. My rift has not lost tracking since. I had all issues of tracking loss before but now no problems. Hope it helps some of you at least. I have rtx 2060 super gaming oc from gigabyte I mention because it might make a difference as this one uses more power than regular rtx2060 super. 
  • Prototype_APrototype_A Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    same problem for me. it seems that it is a compatibility problem between rift s and usb port which used drivers from amd. i have bought a pcie to usb 3.0 card and hoping that will help.
  • Prototype_APrototype_A Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Believe or not. As i install my pcie to usb card , the headset worked perfectly and since that the tracking issues never show up again! I asked one of my friend who fix vr headset for life and he told my that oculcus  always has a compatibility with usb ports use AMD chip-set.(i am using b450 as my motherboard ) i hope this message can help.
  • ChichowalkerChichowalker Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Not solved for me. I have muy rift connected to my rtx 2080 usb C conector and when I start Oculus home my controllers works only during 5 to 10 seconds, then, suddenly stop working Frozen in their last posit. Each time that I reset Oculus service start working again during another 10 seconds. Always the same behaviour. I have also tried connecting to USB 3.1 from motherboard and also to my usb 3.0 hub with external power supply. Same behaviour
  • Dioso.Besa.NielsenDioso.Besa.Nielsen Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Hey. I had my Rift S for 3 month, loosing tracking all the time. Finally I desided to try out a PCIe Card for USB 3.0. Ordered one and the was told that a powered USB 3.0 PCIe should work better. After installing the powered USB 3.0 I sadly had same issues....... Then I installed the NOT POWERED USB 3.0 PCIe card, and wow, first time in 3 month my tracking was working on Rift S. Super nice. So just find a good brand. I deffently think the drivers and hardware is very improtant for Rift S, not so mutch if it is powered or not......