Oculus Rift S not Connecting — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift S not Connecting

ZackZetaZackZeta Posts: 6
NerveGear
Hello, Everyone I've been trying to connect my rift since it came out. It doesn't seem to be recognizing the headset at all. When I first got it I connected it and it had an orange light. I proceeded to the setup and installed it, it said I needed to update my graphics drivers so I did. After this is has been stuck on connect your headset screen with no recognition.

What I've tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling.
Deleting Files and Reinstalling
Repair set up
Checking for drivers to update.
Checking for Windows Updates
Restarting computer
Changing USB and Display ports locations (made sure it's on my graphics card)
Unplugging and replugging cable on Headset itself

Any Advice Would be greatly Appreciated

Graphics Card:

EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB SC Gaming, Silent Cooling Graphics Card 02G-P4-2951-KR

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,114 Volunteer Moderator
    That card is way below recommended specs and will not run the rift sadly :(
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• ZackZetaZackZeta Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    So would buying a Graphics card and installing it solve the issue? I just find it strange that its not even recognizing it
    Your whole system is really weak for VR mate so I'm not sure just a graphics card would help. As I said though, a 950 is below spec and that's why it's not being picked up.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

NerveGear
    Hm Alright Besides the Graphics card what else should I get?
    Have you ran the oculus compatibility tool on the oculus website ? Plus have a look here to get some ideas.

https://support.oculus.com/248749509016567/

As for your PC, I think your cpu should be ok. But as to what you want to upgrade too then it's all about your budget. I'd see if you could borrow a higher graphics card and check if it works ok first ;)

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    It's also got issues with ASMedia USB Hub they never fixed. Maybe they use the SuperSpeed Hub to get around this?
    Has it installed this? Else try Updatng all USB Hubs whilst it's connected. Mine found one even after a fresh up to date OS!

NerveGear
    Yeah, that's the odd part about this, it should be detecting it regardless of specs, the specs are for a smooth experience. I previously bought a psvr and modded it to run on my computer, and it worked minus some calibration issues, which I couldn't resolve. I'll buy a better graphics card but I don't wanna buy it and still have the same issues due to that not being the problem. Imagine potentially upgrading a bunch of parts only for it not to be the issue.

Anyway, I did the update driver option for a few but I just did it for all of them and still nothing. Maybe there's something specific I need to download or click for this step?
    That's why I say to see if you can check it on another system, anyone you know you can test on their system fella ?

• JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    did you try plugin ONLY the UBS in for 5-6 seconds, THEN plugin the displayport? 
  • StretchyCMStretchyCM Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited May 23
    I've got exactly the same problem like ZackZeta with a RTX 2080 plus the "ASMedia USB Root Hub" issue MAC_MAN86 did describe.

There are other threads where users describe the same issue. Therefore, it should rather not be a consequence of ZackZetas graphics card I think.

As long as the firmware update was not installed, the headset was successfully connected. But after that ... :s 
    NerveGear
    @Techy111 Oddly enough I don't think I know someone who has a pc for gaming, I can try and ask around. 

@JeremyC85 Just tried and nothing should I follow a specific set of sequence ex. restart pc?

@StretchyCM Has any of them solved the issue? 

• cheatmonkcheatmonk Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Try to create another windoes ,i know its crazy but that worked for me.
    Btw what colour does your rift s led above de lenses show?
    NerveGear
    edited May 23
    @ZackZeta: Not so far (as I know). Seems, I could be a better idea to wait for an oculus software patch or maybe an update of the video card drivers ...
  • bmo94bmo94 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited May 23
    I've the exact same issue. I've tried all advice out there (there's not much atm since it's recently launched). Sent a support ticket in... let's hope it get's patched fast (and is patch-able)

Edit: I'm using a GTX 1050ti btw
    Wintermute
    edited May 23
    Wondering if USB C adapter will solve this assuming the PC has one? Isn't that the Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub?
  • Xtopher88Xtopher88 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    bmo94 said:
    I've the exact same issue. I've tried all advice out there (there's not much atm since it's recently launched). Sent a support ticket in... let's hope it get's patched fast (and is patch-able)

Edit: I'm using a GTX 1050ti btw

I have the exact same issue (same graphics card). My USB 3.0 connection is fine though. Not sure why the Display Port is not working... the card meets min spec.
    NerveGear
    Like i said login in as a different windows user...
    NerveGear
    edited May 23
    cheatmonk said:
    Afraid that hasn't helped...

And to answer your previous question, the light is orange. Both circles are still spinning and the drivers are up to date and look okay in the device manager.
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,193
    3Jane
    I sort of had this issue at first. Unplugging the displayport and plugging it back in fixed it. If it doesn't work at PC end, try HMD's end.
    NerveGear
    Orange is bad. It only works if it is white afaik
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,193
    3Jane
    edited May 23
    cheatmonk said:
    Doing this fixed my inability to install the Oculus software. I seriously doubt after that it has anything to do with it, namely not picking up the fact it's plugged in. Hopefully for OP it's just a matter of reseating the cable connection on either end.
    Wintermute
    edited May 23
    Windows runs into Permission issues eventually via their Updates. You will find you can't have access to the Oculus Folder which it too is experiencing and so needs a new Windows User OR you may get it to work after cleaning it with Regscanner and deleting a search for "Oculus". However, it is best to avoid the OS drive completely and install to a 2nd Drive even though the Software has no option to set this.
    Knowing this can go wrong I'd unplug any old RIFT powered OFF, then boot up to clear it and then plugin USB of RIFTS, then perform a REBOOT, then plugin the DP of RIFT S. You want that USB connection to firmly fix itself and do indexing it needs. Else I'd look at USB C adapter OR a DP>HMDI perhaps or as some said a powered DP HUB. It is rather odd if you need to buy a USB Card but not use their own Drivers! Surely the same would be true to use Windows own Drivers for the Motherboard's USB!

End of this link to clear Oculus and install to 2nd Drive...
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/74027/games-wont-update
    NerveGear
    Tried on a fresh Windows 10 install on a separate drive and still no luck. Does anyone know if there is an official Oculus response regarding this particular issue?
    Wintermute
    They "know" obviously and this is the only acknowledgement I have seen in this thread...
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/75893/rift-s-static-noise-with-headphones
    NerveGear
    What a joke...
    Well thanks MAC_MAN86 for providing 10x the level of support I've received from a global leader in VR tech.
    NerveGear
    I tried another user and reinstalling again and nothing.

when I first got it, it had an orange light when I plugged it now it doesn't have any lights at all. 

any updates on this issue? if I don't get it solved soon I'm just gonna return it.
    Wintermute
    edited May 27
    There's a Hotfix for Win10 1903 if you have lost audio in any Oculus Software (e.g. Home Environment OR Oculus own Games). It doesn't affect everyone but you can also hold off Auto Major Updates until a full released fix to stay with 1809.

Nvidia New Driver 430.86 does not fix it. Maybe a USB3.0 PCIe Card does OR selecting another non-manufacturers USB Driver to run possibly less powerful for either 3.0 OR 3.1 slots.

OR try Tape Over the Headset Sensor to prevent going to Sleep as once it does so it has issues until yet another Reboot or Replugin or OCULUS BETA>RESTART.
    NerveGear
    Two users mentioned in various forum posts that there are problems with user accounts whose Windows user name contains umlauts or similar characters. For this reason, I did create a new standard windows account with a short 1-byte user name ("ocul" in my case) and there installed the Oculus App. WORKED FOR ME!
    NerveGear
    So I reinstalled Windows completely, did an Oculus Compat check and it said my Extron 3.0 usbs were in fact NOT compatible. I purchased a Inateck KT5001 5 Ports USB 3.0 PCI Express Card and 15 Pin Power Connector - Red and when trying to install it, well, my PSU short circuited. Bought a new PSU which arrived today, installed the new USB card and guess what: I pass the compatibility checks now BUT i'm still stuck on the spinning circles. The USB drivers for the Rift now say:
    "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The request is not supported.
    "

There is also NO light on the headset. When plugged into the Extron 3.0 slots, it has an orange light.

Anyway... thought I'd post an update regarding this absolute nightmare. At this point I am very close to returning this and move onto a competitors product...