New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

White flickering Screen Tearing on quest

Aidens12Aidens12 Posts: 124
Art3mis
edited May 2019 in Oculus Quest
Ive noticed this the most when in the quest home menu and while watching netflix which seems it seems to occur in more frequently, (or maybe i just notice it more because im not really playing a game and just watching tv). Almost looks like its the passthrough camera is bleeding through a bit perhaps.  Anyone else notice this? has oculus said anything about it?

Comments

• Adamills15Adamills15 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Happening to me too. Been extremely careful with my quest so doesn't seem like a disconnected cable or anything like that
  • WebbefieldzzWebbefieldzz Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I have the same issue on my brand new Rift S
  • NightTuskNightTusk Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have a similar issue on my Quest. Netflix will show white static when I turn my head.  And other apps (home, robo recall etc) will show screen tearing artifacts occasionally when I turn my head. It looks like a horizontal region in the middle of the screen lags behind my head motion.  It is disorienting/nauseating. 
  • Maniac618Maniac618 Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have screen tearing / artefact glitching too. Happens in everything but most noticeable in Oculus Home.
    Previous owner of DK2, current owner of Vive & Quest.
  • slapStickVRslapStickVR Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    I am having screen tearing / horizontal fuzz glitching too. It happens in Oculus Home, Big Screen and Netflix very noticable and quite often. In other Apps it doesn't show up at all (or I haven't noticed it right away).

Sometimes it appears as a horizontal line (white) in the middle of the view, other times it is single point spots (white) more on the outside of the focus area.

Is this a firmware, hardware (overheating / throttling?) or software (Apps) issue?
  • newCarbonnewCarbon Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Any solutions, workarounds or some kind of help?
  • Aidens12Aidens12 Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    i've noticed theres an option in the advanced settings section on the oculus app that looks like it sets the refresh rate from 50-60hz. havent got a chance to try it yet but i just found it, so maybe thats an option that will help
  • fixedgeraldfixedgerald Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have been noticing this issue too
  • h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 162
    Art3mis
    Aidens12 said:
    i've noticed theres an option in the advanced settings section on the oculus app that looks like it sets the refresh rate from 50-60hz. havent got a chance to try it yet but i just found it, so maybe thats an option that will help
    Changing this setting does not make any difference for me. I think we have to wait for an update. Hopefully soon. 
    German Oculus Quest / Go / Link Facebook Group ... join us
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusquestgermany/
  • caleblaw504caleblaw504 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Is there anything we can do this stop the screen tearing it's annoying
  • Ed.QuintanaEd.Quintana Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Same here.
    Somebody from Oculus Team please answer.

Is this happening only to some headsets or all of them?
  • MickyelloowMickyelloow Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I am sad to enter the graphical artifacts club too. Got my Quest yesterday and it already started to do that occasionally once opened up (it can even show up at the start of the booting logo.) It might be a hardware defect in devices that have this glitch, but hopefully it is just software (but I really don't know)
  • JeremyFisherJeremyFisher Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    My quest is also experiencing this issue and also the occasional micro stutter, not sure if the two are related. I wonder if this widespread or only affecting a small percentage?
  • ScaramooshScaramoosh Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Me too, but since everyone has the issue, it’s either a big recall or software.
    Art3mis
    That is a software problem. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just returned my unit to the shop for a refund. I'll believe the glitch fix when I see it fixed on another one I have access to. Maybe re-buy it at Christmas if they fix it, and for less.
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    After tinkering around with it, I think it might be a hardware defect on my end, sadly. My friend's doesn't seem to have any issues like these. It seems to be worse from a cold startup, but bits of the screens are tearing apart like this:

Yup, that's the startup logo on the first image. It doubled up for a single frame here on the right eye only, but sometimes a horizontal stripe can appear instead. It can also happen on the left eye. The second image shows a light tear on the Home menu. When moving my head fast, sometimes horizontal stripes from bits of the rendered image can appear everywhere. I have yet been able to capture one of the really bad cases of stripes.
    It doesn't help that the top left of my left eye's screen is darker than anywhere else, causing a partial double vision in empty black voids...
    Since I've ordered it through Amazon, I might be able to replace it now if it's really hardware. It still really sucks though...
  • newCarbonnewCarbon Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    After tinkering around with it, I think it might be a hardware defect on my end, sadly. My friend's doesn't seem to have any issues like these. It seems to be worse from a cold startup, but bits of the screens are tearing apart like this:

Yup, that's the startup logo on the first image. It doubled up for a single frame here on the right eye only, but sometimes a horizontal stripe can appear instead. It can also happen on the left eye. The second image shows a light tear on the Home menu. When moving my head fast, sometimes horizontal stripes from bits of the rendered image can appear everywhere. I have yet been able to capture one of the really bad cases of stripes.
    It doesn't help that the top left of my left eye's screen is darker than anywhere else, causing a partial double vision in empty black voids...
    Since I've ordered it through Amazon, I might be able to replace it now if it's really hardware. It still really sucks though...

I think you are describing here a different issue.
    We are speaking about a white dot flickering sometimes around not screen tearing.
    Hiro Protagonist
    newCarbon said:

I think you are describing here a different issue.
    We are speaking about a white dot flickering sometimes around not screen tearing.

h.r.gargi said:
    Aidens12 said:
    Changing this setting does not make any difference for me. I think we have to wait for an update. Hopefully soon. 
    Well I had both white dot and tearing, it is basically the same thing I think just can look different.
  • OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 693 Oculus Staff
    Hello there, we are aware of an issue that may cause visual issues within the Quest headset. We are actively working on a fix to address this. It should be available in a future update soon but we currently don't have an ETA for the fix. Thanks! -Rick.
  • slapStickVRslapStickVR Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Update: Mentioned graphical issues look exactly like this. Thanks to Youtuber "Zitronenarzt VR". 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G8WKX27u1Q
  • PagliozPaglioz Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hello there, we are aware of an issue that may cause visual issues within the Quest headset. We are actively working on a fix to address this. It should be available in a future update soon but we currently don't have an ETA for the fix. Thanks! -Rick.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have the same problem too.
    Just want to know if it is for sure  a software problem and not hardware 
    and if so why is not present in any device.
    I just want to avoid to ask for a refund in short time.
    Just as I would not, however, wait for an indefinite time 
    by remaining with the defective device

thank you very much 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,640 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    It's weird I'm not getting the white line but I do see screen tearing in certain games and sometimes the home screen. I doubt it's a hardware issue or we'd be getting that all the time in all games but I could be wrong. 
  • zork32zork32 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have screen tearing / artefact glitching too. Happens most noticeable in Oculus Home.
    Mentioned graphical issues look exactly like this. (Thanks to Youtuber "Zitronenarzt VR"). 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G8WKX27u1Q

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,640 Valuable Player
    Ahh I finally got the white lines. I was in the Wander app looking around the grand canyon and it started flickering just like that video. 
  • SchizoidLoserSchizoidLoser Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I stopped using my quest due to the screen tearing is so bad. I have until June 5th to return it to best buy so if the update doesn't release before then I will have to refund the quest.
  • PagliozPaglioz Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    Exactly what i will do.
    if they fix the problem or i’ll return it too
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 552
    Trinity
    I'm starting to wonder if the problem is related to the foveated rendering technique used on the Quest.  The reason I say this is that the problem is significantly worse for me in games that make heavy use of foveated rendering.  Vader Immortal and Robo Recall have a ton of these graphical issues for me, while Beat Saber doesn't.  

I also notice the graphical issues seem to happen more in one of the 'lower quality' areas of the screen, especially when transitioning an area of the screen from the sharper area to the less detailed area.
    Art3mis
    edited May 2019
    A colleague brought his 64GB version with him today. First thing was I checked for tearing at the home screen. Absolute same effect as on my device. For me it is on every device present. Some notice it as a glitch others don't.
    NerveGear
    I've asked my friend if his has those issues. If he had them I would already know because I specifically asked him to look for them. And no, he doesn't...

Also, my right eye's screen decided at one point to become completely full of static, even when in a black environment. It was also in the shutting down process until it was completely powered off. A restart seems to have (probably temporarily) solved the issue, but it may come back.

My unit is in a completely different caliber of bug filled headsets apparently