New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is there a way to quickly switch between passthrough and VR?

nick.frolovnick.frolov Posts: 1
NerveGear
I think in one of YouTube review videos it was said that there is a way to switch between VR and passthrough mode
Unfortunatelly I haven't been able to find a way to do it.
Does anyone know a magic combination of buttons?

Comments

• SicktrashSicktrash Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Someone else posted a similar question here...we don't think so. Only via breaking the guardian system boundary.

Hope they add the feature,, like a long press on the left sticks menu button which currently doesn't do anything!
  • DreaglegDreagleg Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Yes, would be very useful. 
  • FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    Agreed. Very useful.
  • rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 384
    Trinity
    In the settings you can set it to get passthrough by pressing two times on the home button. 
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
  • janc58janc58 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Where exactly can you find this "manual passthrough" setting?
    All I see in Settings | Controller | Customise Oculus Button is:
    - Fast movement detection
    - Long press to pause

I would really need the facility to enable the passthrough camera while using WebVR (I have an application) - augmented reality!!
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,960 Valuable Player
    rVRcloset said:
    In the settings you can set it to get passthrough by pressing two times on the home button. 

Can't find this.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    rVRcloset said:

Can't find this.
    I think it is for Rift S only atm. Hopefully they update it for Quest too.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,171 Volunteer Moderator

saami81 said:
    rVRcloset said:

Can't find this.
    I think it is for Rift S only atm. Hopefully they update it for Quest too.
    Yep, it's Rift-S only.
  • bigstatikbigstatik Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I would also like to request this feature. 
  • GadnosGadnos Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    Definitely need a feature to switch to the pass through.
  • jamccloudiiijamccloudiii Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I just read the Carmack has confirmed that they're working on an update that will allow for a "lights out" mode that will essentially turn the Quest into a 3DoF Go. If they can implement that, I'm hoping a method to quickly pass-though will follow close behind. 
  • jamccloudiiijamccloudiii Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    rawkstar said:
    The current method I’ve been using while in a game is to click on the Oculus button on the right controller which pauses the game and takes you Home, then to click on “Room Scale” (located above Navigate) to view the passthrough camera. Once I click Confirm Guardian it takes me straight back to the game. Better than nothing at least.
    That's a clever workaround! I feel dumb for not thinking of it. :-P Hopefully they're working on something more elegant they can push out in a future OTA update. 
  • MickmanMickman Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    Carnac was so right when he stated that V R is advancing way to slowly... a simple pass through button , come on FB get your sh*t together... please
  • Stand_on_ZanzibarStand_on_Zanzibar Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    The easiest way to view Passthrough on the Oculus Quest without recalibrating is to simply move out of the boundary area and lo and behold...!
  • JeffNikJeffNik Posts: 152
    Art3mis
    edited January 29
    The easiest way to view Passthrough on the Oculus Quest without recalibrating is to simply move out of the boundary area and lo and behold...!
    One of the biggest reasons to want to see passthrough quickly is that you aren't sure if your playspace is clear of obstacles, so moving might not be safe. Also, the boundary represents the places where you shouldn't go! :-) 

Just give us a double-tap of the 'A' button - like on the Rift S. They said "passthrough on demand" was coming - hope they provide it soon.

• Stand_on_ZanzibarStand_on_Zanzibar Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Quite true, but I managed to set things up so that I only had to move my head slightly to see the Passthrough. Not sure how I did this! (I did bang my head against a wall a few times at first...)
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 537
    Nexus 6
    janc58 said:
    I would really need the facility to enable the passthrough camera while using WebVR (I have an application) - augmented reality!!
    Passthrough on my quest is not that good.  Not sure it could be used for AR.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 15, Quest Version 15
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.