New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S - Please read before you buy - Tracking problems with realistic FPS sims & Archery

167891012»

Comments

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,327
    Project 2501
    edited June 2019
    Hey guys, just got back from playing Pavlov multiplayer on dust2 and had a really good time.

Didn't notice any issues with tracking and was very playable. I think I played approx 30 minutes without issues.

So far so good.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,932 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    @SkScotchegg - That's great news. The guy in the video playing Onward seems to be holding the cotroller under his chin though, so I'm surprised that Archery is not working good. Like you said though you need to test more and let use know.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    I tested archery in Oculus home. It isnt as good as using rifles, but there are improvements.

Better close-hmd tracking helps in archery too and other improvement is that the arrow hand doesnt "drift away" when holded as back as possible. It stays still.

Problem with bows is fine-tuning your shots with arrow hand. This could be avoided by drawing only to chin or using bow hand as aim hand.
    Project 2501
    edited June 2019
    RedRizla said:
    @SkScotchegg - That's great news. The guy in the video playing Onward seems to be holding the controller under his chin though, so I'm surprised that Archery is not working good. Like you said though you need to test more and let use know.

Well I only tried In Death archery for like 5 minutes last night but when I was doing my usual long distance shots and aiming to get a HS I did notice problems. I ended up going to bed at 5am last night and only just woke up about 1:45pm lol. I'm on holiday though and got 9 days off work so no issue!  :pensive:

I'm going to play In Death for a good 30+ minutes now and then I'm going to play Contractors, Zero Calibre and some more Onward and then I'll report back.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,060
    Wintermute
     I ended up going to bed at 5am last night ...
    Psst....

That's this morning!!!!

Sounds like you had a good time though B)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,297 Valuable Player
    The thing with the Insight tracking is that it's only going to get better as time goes on due to our movement data being sent back to Facebook and Facebook using that data to improve the machine learning.

I think that Carmack worked on this 1.29 fix for tracking close to the headset though.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MrAnderson96543MrAnderson96543 Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    I tested the Beta 1.39 with Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades  and Zero Caliber.

Before the update, it was literally impossible to use iron sights on almost every weapon. The tracking was lost in so many ways i tried. Now, after the update, i am really, really impressed how good the tracking is now! There is almost no loss of tracking anymore. Even when i aim patiently and my controller touches my HMD.

This is absolutely outstanding! The Oculus Software-Team should get a salary increase for that magic! :)

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,067 Valuable Player
    Yeah tracking has improved big time in 1.39 PTC.
    Very nice!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Project 2501
    edited June 2019
    Yeah guys I've been playing Onward for like 3 hours straight...I was going to try other games but I couldn't stop playing!!!

This is so good, this is a massive improvement. I noticed it stopped tracking for a split second just once in those 3 hours so I'd say it is 99% improvement and 100% playable in my eyes.

I love my Rift S again!!!   :)

As for Archery, I still think Archery has issues, it might be slightly improved, it's hard to tell but I'd say it still mainly has issues with long distance shooting for HS in In Death.

But despite this, I am very happy because now 99% of my game library now work on Rift S so this is brilliant news.

I'm just about to get a shower and then play some more, I've worked up quite a sweat in Onward! lol

I'll report back later after trying more games but I can honestly say wow, I didn't think they could make these kinds of adjustments in the software to make such a big difference, so I was wrong when I doubted Oculus.

Hopefully in the future they can fix Archery too. I need to do more testing in different Archery games and report back.

EDIT: I would highly recommend that everyone with Rift S go into your Oculus software on your desktop and opt into the beta software and update to the latest 1.39 patch to take advantage of these amazing changes/updates to tracking for FPS (two handed rifles) games.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 476
    Trinity
    Should probably edit the first post with your 1.39 impressions to help ppl that come across this thread.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Project 2501
    Should probably edit the first post with your 1.39 impressions to help ppl that come across this thread.

Good idea mate, I'll do that now.
    Project 2501
    How all we need is for some company to release a cheap £20-£50 addon for Rift S audio where we can easily "clip" on an attachment on the side with headphones so that it mimics the original Rift CV1 audio and then we're golden.

I would even be happy to take my headphones off the original Rift CV1 and attach them to Rift S but without an addon/attachment clip I wouldn't be able to do this. And I don't want it to look cheap I want to buy one that has been professionally made.

You would have thought someone would have done this already because it's open market and they could make a lot of money as I'm sure all Rift S owners or the majority would happily buy an addon/attachment.

I'll keep playing more games guys and report back.  :p
    edited June 2019
    @SkScotchegg - So what do you think is picking up the controller when it's below your chin now? Does the controller look like it's out of sight of the camera because that's what I thought when I had mine. I can't test because I've returned mine now but it would be interesting to know if the controller is tracking when it's not in sight of the camera.
    I would also keep the Archery problem in the title of the thread, if there's still problems with the Bow. Oculus needs to know about these problems in order to fix them and they've fixed one of the problems you mentioned. Maybe give Carmack another twitter but about Archery this time :)
    I'm going to wait a few months now before picking up another headset, but I've ruled out getting a Valve index due to the glare issue. godrays are bad enough in CV1, so I don't want another problem similar to that. Also, have you had any blank screens in the Rift S that some people speak about? I didn't have mine long enough to test for that to see if it was a problem for me.
    Project 2501
    RedRizla said:
    @SkScotchegg - So what do you think is picking up the controller when it's below your chin now? Does the controller look like it's out of sight of the camera because that's what I thought when I had mine. I can't test because I've returned mine now but it would be interesting to know if the controller is tracking when it's not in sight of the camera.
    I would also keep the Archery problem in the title of the thread, if there's still problems with the Bow. Oculus needs to know about these problems in order to fix them and they've fixed one of the problems you mentioned. Maybe give Carmack another twitter but about Archery this time :)
    I'm going to wait a few months now before picking up another headset, but I've ruled out getting a Valve index due to the glare issue. godrays are bad enough in CV1, so I don't want another problem similar to that. Also, have you had any blank screens in the Rift S that some people speak about? I didn't have mine long enough to test for that to see if it was a problem for me.

Ok I'll try do more testing to answer your questions, sorry if I wasn't very clear before.

And yeah good idea I'll PM Carmack on twitter and tell him the good news with regards to FPS but also ask him to keep working on Archery tracking for us gamers who love Archery.

As for the screen issues & controller issues other members mentioned, personally I've had zero issues with any of that. I've not had any black screens or snowy screens, I've had no problems with my Touch controllers either. The headset build quality and touch controllers build quality is 100% perfect so far for me and I think I've had my Rift S 40 days now.

My Rift S has worked 100% perfect since day 1 apart from the tracking issues I already mentioned in this thread which now seem to almost be resolved due to 1.39 patch.

I have the latest version of windows 10, the latest nvidia drivers, I've probably updated my nvidia drivers 3x at least since Rift S was released. I have the new RTX 2080 which I bought at the same time as Rift S. Everything runs sweet.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 476
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    @RedRizla

Here ya go, updated for 1.39 tracking 
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    edited June 2019
    Wow that's great news, I'll definitely be picking a Rift S up again at some point. Archery seems to be alright judging by the video above @SkScotchegg, so what bit are you having problems with when it comes to Archery?
    Such a shame this because no doubt some Rift S headsets will have been returned due to the crap tracking and these people might never know it's fixed now. Just wish it had been launched like this in the first place.
    Project 2501
    edited July 2019
    RedRizla said:
    Wow that's great news, I'll definitely be picking a Rift S up again at some point. Archery seems to be alright judging by the video above @SkScotchegg, so what bit are you having problems with when it comes to Archery?
    Such a shame this because no doubt some Rift S headsets will have been returned due to the crap tracking and these people might never know it's fixed now. Just wish it had been launched like this in the first place.

Hey I tried a couple of different Archery games, and did more experimenting. It defiantly feels improved but not 100% fixed for Archery. If I shoot quick it seems ok but when I aim and hold the arrow still for like 2-3 seconds sometimes it still freezes and stops moving just like before.

I did notice though when I paid attention to how far I pull the arrow in a game such as In Death the arrow hand (right hand) actually gets pulled under my neck and all the way to the back of my neck. So basically the way I do it means that my hand is behind the headset, completely out of view of the cameras.

Where as when I play with two handed rifles in FPS games I tend to put my right hand kind of in front of my mouth and I think the cameras can still just about see the Touch controllers ring on top.

I do Archery in real life and we only pull the arrow under our chin, we don't go that far back, maybe its because I'm tall and I've got long arms but in VR when I play Archery games I have to pull the arrow hand all the way to the back of my neck to achieve full draw.

I did play In Death for about an hour though and I kind of just managed to get through it, I probably had to make little adjustments here and there but actually I did have a good time playing it.

And as for FPS sims like Onward/Pavlov/Contractors I have no issues now. I also played Zero Calibre and that was good too.

I think if they can look at where people draw their hands back in Archery and perhaps improve this another 10% then they will have totally fixed this issue.
    The best thing about Insight is that the tracking will improve over time thanks to the data constantly being fed to Facebook whilst we use the Rift S for their Machine Learning to chew over, give it a few months and we'll see some great improvements I think.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• xSTONEMANxxSTONEMANx Posts: 195
    Art3mis
    snowdog said:
    The best thing about Insight is that the tracking will improve over time thanks to the data constantly being fed to Facebook whilst we use the Rift S for their Machine Learning to chew over, give it a few months and we'll see some great improvements I think.
    Are you sure there's a machine taking all this info in about sensors?
    RedRizla said:
    snowdog said:
    Are you sure there's a machine taking all this info in about sensors?

Yup, Oculus mentioned it a while back. There's also something about it in the privacy notice thingummybob too somewhere. Someone quoted it on the Oculus sub-Reddit the other day.

• LarsBehrensLarsBehrens Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
    So i got the following issue and am curious if anyone else got em. 
    And yes, I've updated to 1.39.
    While playing zero caliber, tracking definitely works better since the last update, HOWEVER, while aiming down sights my left (front hand) will freeze randomly making it impossible to aim until the oculus "finds" the left controller again. 

Anyone else got these issues and knows how to fix them?

Oh and FYI, using a 3.1 usb port, no warnings on in the oculus dashboard. 
    System:
    i5 6600k (which may be on the low side, getting my ryzen 3900x next week) could this possibly be related to the described tracking issue?
    Nvidia RTX 2070
    32GB 3200mhz 

• LightningHawkZLightningHawkZ Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I know this is hella late, but I'm having the exact same problem as LarsBehrens. It's incredibly annoying and I want to fix it
    I know this is hella late, but I'm having the exact same problem as LarsBehrens. It's incredibly annoying and I want to fix it

Buy an Oculus CV1 instead if you can get one.
  • honkeroohonkeroo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    yeah same here