New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S - Please read before you buy - Tracking problems with realistic FPS sims & Archery

Comments

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 476
    Trinity
    Verify you're running the latest version of Windows 10 (at least 1809).  This seems to be fixing some tracking/setup issues for people. 
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,926 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    My Windows 10 is fully updated, but no Windows 10 update is going to fix the issues I've described tbh.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,973 Valuable Player
    seems to have got a little off tracking here 😀

No just a bad looser  :D
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,327
    Project 2501
    edited May 2019
    RedRizla said:
    I'm not sure how software is going to fix this when there is no camera underneath the headset that tracks your controllers. I'm hoping wrong and they they can fix it. I just hope they enable the external camera's though, which will definitely fix it.

That's my thought's too, I don't really know enough about the software to fully understand what they can do to improve it, my logic tells me if the cameras can't see the controllers then it isn't going to work.

vannagirl said:
    Am guessing there will be external camera support now sooner then expected 

I really hope so too because even though we can use our original CV1 for now to play these games it sure would be nice to play In Death/Contractors/Pavlov etc using the Rift S new LCD screen and optics which I think looks and feels absolutely great!

RedRizla said:
    I've gone back to using CV1 for these games now.

Edit @vannagirl - Well I hope so because it can't come soon enough if Oculus decide to do this. I've hated having to go back to using my Rift CV1, just so that I can play my First Person Shooters both comfortable and properly. I don't want to keep switching headsets to suit certain games.

I've done the same mate, I use CV1 for all the games that don't work on RIft S and then Rift S for Beat Saber and Audica mainly.

Verify you're running the latest version of Windows 10 (at least 1809).  This seems to be fixing some tracking/setup issues for people. 

Yeah I'm also on latest windows 10 update and latest nvidia drivers too.

EDIT: I just had a thought, I really hope they fix the tracking for us before Stormland & Asgard's Wrath arrive as I definitely want to take advantage of those two games on my Rift S to see it in all of it's splendid glory!  :)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 315
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    @JeremyC85 - Are you using a gun stock? I find having just the controllers further out in front of me is not only tiring, but that my aim also goes to shite because I cannot rest my elbow on my side where it is comfy. The scope also moves further forward when my controllers have to be used further out in front of me, which makes it impossible to look down the scope properly.

I've gone back to using CV1 for these games now.

Edit @vannagirl - Well I hope so because it can't come soon enough if Oculus decide to do this. I've hated having to go back to using my Rift CV1, just so that I can play my First Person Shooters both comfortable and properly. I don't want to keep switching headsets to suit certain games.
     no gun stock here.. just the touch controllers 
  • Hicks613Hicks613 Posts: 321
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2019
    It doesn't matter.  Contractors, Pavlov, Onward, Wardust, Standout, H3VR.  Physical or Virtual stock.

A gunstock actually helps me get around this problem.  This is for 2 handed weapons.  I'm right handed but I refer to it as my "rear arm or hand" and my left (forward) arm/hand is supporting the barrel.

1. My natural stance, my natural point of aim, requires that I keep my REAR ELBOW is bent <90 degrees my FORWARD arm is about 90 degrees.  This is how I use my M4 in Contractors or MK18 in Onward.  My CV1 Touch controller used to be really close to my face.  I get a real nice and large sight picture this way.

2. My new stance with the Rift S requires that I push BOTH controllers unaturally far away on the Protube stock.  My rear arm is now always >90 degrees - only slightly bent.  My foreward arm is ALMOST dead straight. 

This prevents me from getting comfortable.  Holy crap is this completely unnatural and annoying, BUT tracking issues are avoided.

With just controllers, you need to get into the habit of keeping your forward hand straight out, then bring your rear hand to where the virtual rifle's new position is.  Eventually you will drift back into a more natural stance and tracking will break.  Then you need to straighten out again.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE OPTICAL SCOPES LIKE THE ACOG OR SIMILAR.  This is IMPOSSIBLE.  You cannot get the scope close enough to your eye.  It will look like the size of a 5c piece to keep tracking and completely useless.

Insight can die a horrible death.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,926 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    @CrashFu - The first person shooters people are talking about aren't even on Oculus Quest yet. That's probably why nobody's talking about it on the Oculus Quest. I'm just here to share the problems I'm having and judging by some other comments in this thread there are other people having the same problems as the OP.

I've played FPS long enough with Rift CV1 to say playing them with Rift S has drastically reduced my enjoyment. I've even gone back to using the Rift CV1 to play these games because I feel it's that's bad.    

There's no point trying to fix it by just having the outstretched controller tracked and the back hand ignored like I think you were trying to suggest. I honestly can't imagine how bad that would feel, but it's good to know people are trying to think of ways around this problem. 

I've given credit where credit is due for Rift S, like comfort, displays, less godrays, less screen door ...etc. But the tracking in First Person Shooters is just awful because of what I and some people are describing. I'm speaking from my own personal experience though and some people might not mind putting up with it. I just know I can put up with it and it's the last thing I'll say on this matter. 
  • BloodyShadowBloodyShadow Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Well, after thinking about the pro's and con's, I've decided to return my Rift S. I loved everything about it, it was more comfortable, better image quality, easier to set up and use, everything was great... but in the end the poor tracking really killed it for me. My favorite games are the shooters and archery games, which are unplayable for me on the 'S' (in the sense that they aren't comfortable and don't work nearly as well as the CV1 Rift). 

If it all gets fixed with patches and updates I might consider purchasing it again later, but it doesn't feel like a finished product to me as it stands. I'm super disappointed, but still love my CV1 Rift so not too much harm done. 

To those of you suggesting these problems are brought on by user hardware (i.e. my computer setup) this is incredibly unlikely. I have a custom gaming desktop I built myself (with high end parts), and an area 51m laptop that I use for VR, always without issue. The issue is that when the touch controllers get too close to the headset they 'blind' the sensors at this distance. My support ticket contact also experienced these issues: "I experienced a similar issue with a sniper game I was playing with on the Rift-S. So I understand what you are experiencing for sure." - copy past from my ticket. 

They know this is an issue. I'm sure they'll do what they can to fix it, I just don't want to wait with what is currently a useless piece of hardware collecting dust. If anyone is considering purchasing I would hold off until an update is given. 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    Yiykes, this is sounding like a disaster. How long do you have to return? I guess I'll have to test this out in Skyrim VR. 

This is confusing....

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • DoctoriDoctori Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    falken76 said:
    falken76 said:
    ALL reviews are bullshit unless they're user reviews.
    Well user reviews can be BS as well. Anyone can make a Reddit or forum account.
    I find more credibility in user reviews these days.  If Makerbot can get a best of show and the judges never even saw the printers operating, they're paid shills.  I absolutely believe this is how alot of reviews go these days.  The youtubers just want free swag, a bad review means they won't get it next time around.  I can read a ton of user reviews and look for the most common traits that get mentioned over and over by the end user.  For Rift S, it seems to be tracking for FPS games and specifically when you get the tracking close to the face.  End users report this a lot, the reviewers didn't mention this and it should have been more apparent that this was the case.

I played 2 of my archery games on the rift s today. I will have to totally, I mean totally change up the way I aim. Its a wider type aim off to side too. For me though guys, I prefer the inside out and still think it will be the future. I think more cameras though, should be zero dead zone areas!  I would love to see more cameras on top and bottom. Even with sensors, I always seemed to get too far from sensors or in edge zones that always sucked with both vive and rift 1. My bow would move real slow and stop being responsive. I actually think adjusting the way I aim with inside out will be better overall than my outside in tracking. At least your in control more and not dealing with a sensor that's being sensitive because the sun is in his eyes or something :)

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,547 Valuable Player
    vannagirl said:

Some weeks (or a month) ago one dude on Reddit explained that it will not be possible to use your old external sensors for Rift-S due technical incompatibilities. The systems are different (like old sensor don't need light to work), but I'd love for all this to be wrong and be able to use my external sensors with a new HMD - but I'm not betting any money on that ever happening ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,985 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:
    vannagirl said:

Some weeks (or a month) ago one dude on Reddit explained that it will not be possible to use your old external sensors for Rift-S due technical incompatibilities. The systems are different (like old sensor don't need light to work), but I'd love for all this to be wrong and be able to use my external sensors with a new HMD - but I'm not betting any money on that ever happening ;)
    Headset tracking does work different (old is best in a dark environment since it looks for IR LEDs on the headset, new is best in a bright environment since it looks for visible spectrum details in the room).
    But touch tracking is the same, both are cameras watching IR LEDs. In fact Insight should track Touch fine in the dark, but since touch are relative to the headset and the headset can't track in the dark, the end result isn't usable.

Since the Rift-S doesn't have IR LEDs, external CV1 sensors can't track it. They should be able to track new Touch, but not the headset. That means you've got two different coordinate systems that need to be synced.
    kojack said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    vannagirl said:

Headset tracking does work different (old is best in a dark environment since it looks for IR LEDs on the headset, new is best in a bright environment since it looks for visible spectrum details in the room).
    But touch tracking is the same, both are cameras watching IR LEDs. In fact Insight should track Touch fine in the dark, but since touch are relative to the headset and the headset can't track in the dark, the end result isn't usable.

Since the Rift-S doesn't have IR LEDs, external CV1 sensors can't track it. They should be able to track new Touch, but not the headset. That means you've got two different coordinate systems that need to be synced.

Thanks for the backup - yes, I guess any dream of getting Rift-S to work with the old sensors seems dead, unfortunately. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,159 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    vannagirl said:

TLDR: it's possible to make it work in a bright environment ;)
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    We all understand that the Rift-S offers opportunities as well as compromises with the path they have followed with Lenovo - but I just wonder, the lack of IPD, the audio and now tracking issues may seem a compromise too far?

The CV1 has proven a great champion of comfortable high-end PC VR, I just cant see the same being said of the Rift-S - though I am sure that now partnered with Lenovo, they are in a better position to release a updated variant that could address many of those issues... is so inclined? 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    We all understand that the Rift-S offers opportunities as well as compromises with the path they have followed with Lenovo - but I just wonder, the lack of IPD, the audio and now tracking issues may seem a compromise too far?

The CV1 has proven a great champion of comfortable high-end PC VR, I just cant see the same being said of the Rift-S - though I am sure that now partnered with Lenovo, they are in a better position to release a updated variant that could address many of those issues... is so inclined? 
    I don't think that's necessary.

The IPD thing has proven to be not nearly as much of a problem as people (who hadn't tried it yet) insisted it would be.  Once they actually try it out, people on the extreme ends of the IPD range have typically said they experienced no problems with it.

The audio  (specifically, lack of bass or isolation)  can easily be fixed by simply plugging in some earbuds or headphones,  and a dedicated clip-on accessory or even complete headband replacement with integrated headphones seems inevitable, first-party or otherwise.

And the tracking issues will be improved as Oculus refines the software,  as users learn how to employ easy fixes and use it under optimal conditions, and as game devs learn to design around the limitations.   When hybrid tracking becomes available, it will offer an even greater level of accuracy and reliability for those who still aren't satisfied.

I can understand casual consumers wanting to hold off on buying  until these solutions happen  (or even returning a system they already bought to the store, although that seems like an awfully extreme, knee-jerk reaction)   but it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to be essentially declaring the system 'doomed' just because it isn't 100% perfect at launch.

Heck, I wonder what kind of complaints we could find about the CV1, a week after it released?  (Or after the preorder delays got cleared up, I should say.)  The whole point to being a tech enthusiast  (or perhaps a "prosumer", as Kevin might say?)  is that you're willing to put up with a rough start when you know there's a diamond in that rough.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • cybershrapnelcybershrapnel Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    I agree with the OP. Inside out tracking is NOT the future!!! But, I do however see a very very good hybrid system developing using both sensors and inside out tracking together!!!!   now that I think will develop from this fiasco... because, i am sorry, but this is a fiasco!!!!!  Returning my Rift S, I like it, but I don't love it, and I am MORE than frustrated with the issues....
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,985 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:

Thanks for the backup - yes, I guess any dream of getting Rift-S to work with the old sensors seems dead, unfortunately. 
    Well, the Rift-S itself, yes. That's impossible.
    But Rift-S touch controllers doing sensor fusion with old sensors, it would be possible, but not as simple as some might think. The process would be similar to what CV1 currently does when you are setting up the sensors and you do the "hold it at eye level and pull the trigger", that is syncing one coordinate system per sensor. But it would have to do that every tracking frame. Should be doable. But we've seen the trouble constellation has with bumping sensors (takes a while to adjust) it would be like that continuously (like picking up a CV1 sensor and waving it around and still wanting tracking).

I wonder how many people with tracking problems have adjusted the power frequency setting? Both the Quest and Rift-S have an option for setting the frequency of your local power, to 50Hz (most places), 60Hz (us) or auto. That's because your house lights flicker at that rate. If the auto option guesses wrong, the Rift/Quest may be trying to track at the same rate as the lights flicker, causing conflicts.
    edited May 2019
    CrashFu said:
    I can understand casual consumers wanting to hold off on buying  until these solutions happen  (or even returning a system they already bought to the store, although that seems like an awfully extreme, knee-jerk reaction)   but it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to be essentially declaring the system 'doomed' just because it isn't 100% perfect at launch.

Your words not mine - I have not implied or said it is "Doomed" on the contrary, I feel that OculusVR made their bed with Lenovo and are prepared to lay in it - those solution you speak of will be coming from OculusVR not from Lenovo. and it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to say which of the issues they feel are worth addressing than just living with it till they release the CV2 - which according to some posters here will be in 2020!!!

Regarding the 100% perfect at launch - none expected that and those that have been around this forum long enough are more than aware of the "fixed after launch" approach a number of the headset manufacturers take. The clips for the audio are claimed to be in the works - and I would not be surprised to see a Rift-S+ in the works as we speak. No one said doomed other than yourself @CrashFu&nbsp; B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,058 Valuable Player
    I would guess more likely the partnering with Lenovo is temporary to get an updated Rift out whilst they focused on Quest. If and when they do deliver a true second gen Rift, I expect it will be solely Oculus - but again a guess on my part. I myself am unsure they will deliver this device.
    Audio strap - sound is horrible in that, anyone getting a Rift S that cares anything about sound definitely get earbuds or find a headset solution that will work with the Halo design. I use earbuds and the sound rocks with them.
    IPD - as I fall well within the normal range not an issue for me. Folks out toward the extremes however may be quite unhappy. Too bad they did not include a physical IPD adjustment like CV1.
    Tracking so far has been exceptional for me - but I likely will not be using it like those that need close to head or behind tracking.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Project 2501
    CrashFu said:
    RedRizla said:
    Morgrum said:
    Well hopefully this  an be fixed with a software update.
    No software update is going to be able to fix this major flaw with the Rift S.  The only way to fix it is to allow the Rift sensors to be used with the Rift S.
    That's just not true. The hardware takes data. Software interprets the data. Software can be improved to interpret the data better. Read what Mr Carmack said on this. 
    https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1124334345689366528

How long does it actually take them to realise this and fix it? They have had an ample amount of time to work on fixing this. Oculus Quest has being in development for years using the same type of tracking.

The dead spot is below the headset and that's where it needs constant tracking. That's where your trigger finger is for your rifle when resting your elbow comfortable at your side to give you a steady aim. If you move your hand further forward it's uncomfortable, but the scope on the rifle also moves forward making it hard to look down the scope.

I'm not sure how software is going to fix this when there is no camera underneath the headset that tracks your controllers. I'm hoping wrong and they they can fix it. I just hope they enable the external camera's though, which will definitely fix it.
    You'll notice that there are hardly any complaints about the Quest's tracking (compared to Rift-S), even though it uses the same Insight software.. with an even smaller tracking area.  And with how popular the Quest has been, we'd definitely be hearing about it on the forums, if there were issues.

That should be a pretty big clue that it's probably not the Rift-S hardware that is causing most of the reported issues, or the Insight system itself.  Likely, most of the tracking problems people have experienced are due to conflicts with various PC systems, which Oculus could not anticipate because... well, they can only test on a finite number of different PC configurations just before release, and the use-conditions of consumers are highly unpredictable.  I wonder how many people are trying to run Rift-S on obsolete versions of windows, for example?  Or haven't kept their drivers and windows-updates current?

As for the tracking area underneath the headset.. the bottom-corner cameras are sloped in such a way that they should still see the controllers unless they're directly beneath your chin.  If you're hip-firing a two-handed gun, for example, the camera on that side should probably be able to see the controller, most of the time.   I was playing Duck Season earlier today, and was able to fire the shotgun accurately that way.  (When I tried to hold the gun directly in front of my face, such that my rear hand obscured the forward one.. that didn't work as well.)

I have not, however, tried any scoped two-handed guns since getting the Rift-S...  I've always found them to be incredibly awkward to use in VR anyways, since you don't actually have a Stock to help keep things stable and in relative place   (unless you buy one of those rigs to attach the controllers to, but I'm not that much of a gun enthusiast  :wink: )

Also, I think there are smart ways to use game design to compensate for poorly-tracked / occluded areas in regards to two-handed weapon use.  For example.. when using a scoped two-handed weapon, the game could basically ignore the position of the poorly-tracked hand altogether and rely exclusively on the position and orientation of the most-visible hand,  instead of trying to pivot the gun unnaturally between both hand positions.  Specifically, when holding the gun in front of your face, it would rely on the closer hand (IE the one holding the trigger).  When hip-firing, it would use the position of the forward hand.    And when pulling back a bow-string, the game could assume that once the arrow-hand leaves the tracking area, it is at a specific, optimal position relative to the player's view,  keeping it steady while they aim with the bow-hand.

I get where your coming from with some of your points but others I don't agree especially regarding > Less complaints for Quest tracking = No hardware problem with Rift S.

There are many factors here which I feel you might not have considered such as:
    • Quest was designed for new comers to VR so less people will know the difference between Constellation tracking and inside/out tracking.
    • Quest is less powerful for games and less people are playing realistic army games Like Onward/Paclov/Contractors On Quest. Also the same goes for the Archery games like In Death or Sacralith (unless streaming from PC which I'm sure only a small minority of Quest owners even know about)
    • Quest gamers have largely a different selection of games then Rift S also available to them at this time on the Oculus Store, for example Stormland and Asgard's Wrath etc won't be coming to Quest - (Again without streaming software). And I don't think they will officially get Onward/Pavlov/Contractors/In Death/Sacralith etc but I could be wrong and some of these games could get ported eventually, but right now with regards to the reviews coming out this week we can only go by their currently available existing library.
    So only if you had the exact same number of people playing the exact same FPS and Archery games as you have with Rift S then you would be able to see a coloration between the inside/out tracking on Quest vs's the Inside/out tracking on Rift S.

And if you think about it how many people today are playing Onward on Quest? How many are playing In Death? How many are playing games like Lone Echo? There's probably nobody playing those games right now on Quest.

Do you know why the same amount of people aren't complaining about the tracking of Lone Echo on Quest? Because nobody is attempting to play Lone Echo on Quest. And I'm sure this is the same for most of the top games that are available for the Rift CV1/S Library.

Also you said Quest owners aren't complaining as we would have seen their negative reviews but I have read negative reviews on YouTube and Oculus forums these past few days from Quest users too.

Also some of the reviews that first appear positive make me laugh as there's now a pattern emerging where people say "The Quest/Rift S is amazing, it's so good, I can play FPS games and Archery games no problem - And then go on to say - Oh but you just have to learn to hold the rifle/bow in the this really weird and awkward way which kinda hurts my arms - but other then that the tracking is perfect". lol

I'm not sure what improvements they can make with software updates other then to allow us to use Constellation tracking which would fix all of these issues but the title of this thread was used in that way so people can read others reviews who already own and play with Rift S in VR so they can be informed and know weather to wait or buy now. And I don't think it would be wise to say to people "Oh go ahead and buy Rift S, it has perfect tracking, and the few games that don't work, well lets just hope for fixes via software in the future." because I really can't see these issues been fixed by software alone.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    kevinw729 said:
     Regarding the 100% perfect at launch - none expected that and those that have been around this forum long enough are more than aware of the "fixed after launch" approach a number of the headset manufacturers take. The clips for the audio are claimed to be in the works - and I would not be surprised to see a Rift-S+ in the works as we speak. No one said doomed other than yourself @CrashFu&nbsp; B)
    The forums right now are flooded with people threatening to return their Rift-S to the store over minor, specific-case tracking issues. Hell, that's half of this thread alone.

So yes, clearly a number of people expected the Rift-S to work 100% perfectly at launch. Some even going so far as to say "there's no excuse for it not being perfect".

Most of my comments were directed more towards those people than to you specifically, although "a compromise too far" sounds a lot like "Doomed!" to me. 
    :wink:

P.S.  no offense intended towards anyone by my earlier "casual consumers" comment. There's nothing wrong with being a casual consumer and wanting things to just work how you expect them to the day you buy them.  I, as an enthusiast and early-adopter, simply take pride in being able to see things through, and focus on the potential of new tech rather than stressing over small, temporary problems.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    Be good, die great !
    Project 2501
    edited May 2019
    CrashFu said:
    kevinw729 said:
    The forums right now are flooded with people threatening to return their Rift-S to the store over minor, specific-case tracking issues. Hell, that's half of this thread alone.

So yes, clearly a number of people expected the Rift-S to work 100% perfectly at launch. Some even going so far as to say "there's no excuse for it not being perfect".

Most of my comments were directed more towards those people than to you specifically, although "a compromise too far" sounds a lot like "Doomed!" to me. 
    :wink:

P.S.  no offense intended towards anyone by my earlier "casual consumers" comment. There's nothing wrong with being a casual consumer and wanting things to just work how you expect them to the day you buy them.  I, as an enthusiast and early-adopter, simply take pride in being able to see things through, and focus on the potential of new tech rather than stressing over small, temporary problems.

I don't think anybody is telling anybody not to buy Rift S. I'm gaming on Rift S tonight and looking forward to it, but people need to set their expectations lower for FPS/Archery games right now. 

If people don't play those games then they will love Rift S. I'm really enjoying Audica right now on Rift S, it's an amazing game and looks and feels great with this HMD.

I don't agree with you saying "minor issue" though because despite me enjoying my Rift S, I really wish I could play Contractors tonight and In Death using this new technology but right now I can't, so it's quite annoying.
    edited May 2019

I don't agree with you saying "minor issue" though because despite me enjoying my Rift S, I really wish I could play Contractors tonight and In Death using this new technology but right now I can't, so quite annoying.
    Read this on Reddit:

"Oculus support very busy

When I asked at the live chat what place I am in they set 3000, I created my ticked 2 days ago, they also said they have expanded their service with more people."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/btbhr3/oculus_support_very_busy/

But we don't know how many Rift-S and Quest units Oculus has sold, but I'd agree this may not exactly give the impression of "minor issues"... 

• Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,199
    3Jane
    Nobody is sitting around testing every single, or even every common hardware combo. Hardware either meets requirements, or it doesn't, and bugs are fixed as needed later. I really don't get how this idea started. I believe it's a software issue. Oculus even admit it was barely ready at launch, or at least audio wasn't.
  • antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    i return mine, , big deception.Is not an software problem, is the headset itself ! i not want pass my return date and got problem with company after ,i prefer return and wait and see later what happen
    @Scotchegg72&nbsp; -  I can see what you're saying, but there ARE archery games on Quest.

I've been playing a lot of both Apex Construct and In Death,  and I hold and fire the bow exactly as I was when playing archery games on CV1.  The only issue I've experienced with aiming the bow is when my hand-tracking would momentarily freeze altogether for a second,  but that problem seems to have been completely fixed by some combination of the following:
    • Disabling Windows automatic power saving, especially on any USB ports used by Rift-S.
    • Partially covering up a large reflective surface in my play area (not even the whole thing,  just some of it)
    • Manually installing a Windows update from 5/21 that hadn't downloaded automatically yet.
    • Un-plugging and re-plugging my headset cable to make sure it's securely connected on the headset.

If you haven't tried all of the above, I highly recommend doing so.