Rift S "Something went wrong and your device can't track the movement of your headset" — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S "Something went wrong and your device can't track the movement of your headset"

SinsinfulSinsinful Posts: 66
Hiro Protagonist
Getting the message "Something went wrong and your device can't track the movement  of your headset" in the notification every time the tracking locks up on the Rift S.
Anyone experiencing the same message?

Comments

• CyberKTCyberKT Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Me too! Love to know why this keeps popping up. Side note, my Rift S is absolutely not working 'right'. So many problems so far. Wondering if this error, whatever its origin, is the root of the problem. 
  • SinsinfulSinsinful Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    Could be. Does your audio cut out for a second when it happens?
  • sethman600sethman600 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    im having the same problem anyone found a solution yet?
  • auxiliaryxxauxiliaryxx Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I'm disappointed that the headset is so buggy... To fix your tracking;
    1. Unplug Headset
    2.Reset PC
    3. Plug in USB 3.0
    4. Open Oculus Software
    5. Go to "Devices", and make sure the USB is detected
    6. Plug in DisplayPort after 60 seconds
    7. Put on Headset
    8. If remotes are tracked then take off headset FAST. because the software glitches and freezes (cuz its shit)
    9. Open steam vr
    10. ENJOY! and avoid using Oculus's shitty buggy software, stick with steam vr

TIP: Play Job Simulator to fully test your headset. It is an insanely reliable game! Play games only on steam vr and don't buy them on the Oculus store. (Racing games don't work AT ALL for me, Superhot vr only worked last night, it's broken now.)

IMPORTANT: If STEAMVR asks to setup room scale then you are having the same tracking error as me. Ignore it and follow the steps

Wish you all luck! 
    Tyler

Feel free to ask me anything or share anything! I'm looking for some rift s buddy's lol. 6139039339
    Hiro Protagonist
    What? Sure yoy cant use the headset without the oculus app running in the background.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ticket answered. Waste of time Oculus have no clue whats going on. 
    I want a refund.
  • toxicfan666toxicfan666 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I think I solved mine. 
    Make sure when playing steam vr its tracking is facing the same way as you would in the oculus tracking
  • UnfoldingBootUnfoldingBoot Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I had this issue for 3 days, I was using a USB 3.0 port in the front of my tower as it was the only port the sensors would verify at all, but then the tracking would cut out after a few minutes. This PCIe card fixed all my problems!
    https://www.amazon.com/FebSmart-Self-Powered-Technology-No-Additional-FS-U4-Pro/dp/B072LS4JH7/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=febsmart+4+ports+usb+3.0+super+fast+5gbps+pci+express&qid=1558843939&s=gateway&sprefix=febsmart&sr=8-1
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ordered another one of these PCI-e cards to try. This is my last go and I'm out as I am 7 days without one decent update from Oculus on why a brand new £400 headset does not work.
    Unfolding is your fix holding up?
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,891 Valuable Player
    If you have a 3.1 port on your motherboard try plugging the Rift S in there instead of a 3.0 port. My tracking has improved immensely since doing this.

And if you have DisplayPort and USB 3.0 extensions do the setup without them and add them once you get the initial setup done.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • angela.smarritoangela.smarrito Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Literally on any other game that i have, the tracking works fine, but when i go into pavlov, tracking is terrible. When i sway my arms up and down, about every 2 seconds, they would freeze in their position. Then 2 seconds later they track again, plz know where your going oculus.
  • EisukaEisuka Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Update every drivers and windows.
    Set your pc to max power and if you have a Nvidia GPU try to set your PhysX settings to best performance (right click on the desktop>Nvidia control panel>configure PhysX). It solved the problem for me.
  • Imperial_WaffleImperial_Waffle Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey guys, this issue happens to me whenever I'm in a dark room, so make sure your lights are on.
  • KleinBDFKKleinBDFK Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 13
    Hey guys, I did everything and nothing work, How can i fix this?
    answer me at this emal: gabrielsoaresklein@gmail.com
  • Clown_PrinceClown_Prince Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited August 9
    If you are using the beta version of the oculus software. Turn off the beta if you have it on. For some reason once I turned it on I started getting this message. Once I turned it off it. 
  • Clown_PrinceClown_Prince Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited August 9
    Literally on any other game that i have, the tracking works fine, but when i go into pavlov, tracking is terrible. When i sway my arms up and down, about every 2 seconds, they would freeze in their position. Then 2 seconds later they track again, plz know where your going oculus.
    Change your usb port. To a 3.1 gen 1 port. Anyone who says their 3.1 port doesn't work it's because they have plugged it into a 3.1 gen 2 port. Just stick to 3.1 gen 1
  • TereDoneyTereDoney Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    It is the beta.  I just started having this issue today and just clicked off on the beta, no problems any more.  They must have changed something in the beta behind the scenes that they are testing.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 848
    3Jane
    Try looking here:

It is a known issue with the PTC:  doesn't do anything other than the error message...

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)