New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Sweetspot on Rift S??

rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 373
Trinity
So I'm not sure If I'm not getting the Rift S on the best possible position on my head, (a bit weird and fiddly with the halo after several years with the CV1) or if it's a ipd setting thing. (used 64 in rift)
But I only have clarity when watching straight forward and turning my whole head to look around??..
I thought the sweetspot on the Rift S would be bigger than the CV1?

My issue is that when looking around in the headset with my eyes, the image gets blurry.
Really noticeble when I tried Arizona Sunshine and was looking down the sight, when closing my left eye I have to turn my head left to be able to see clear down the scope..
Is this just me, or is the lenses / sweetspot wors in this regard?

Also felt a bit of eye strain after only 30 minutes of testing yesterday.
Can be in the CV1 for half a day without those issues.
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

Comments

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,836 Valuable Player
    What's your IPD setting on the Rift? 

If you have a high IPD then your sweet spot is small. That's the case with me at 70mm. 

Did you adjust the digital IPD? I set mine all the way to 72. 

First day felt eye strain but next day was fine. I probably played for 4 hours. It's not ideal but it's just so much better than the Rift visually. I'm loving replaying all my games with the new clarity. 

Also, I don't really move eyes much in VR. I turn my head. I notice I do the same thing in real life. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,148 Volunteer Moderator
    How are you setting the eye relief (front/back adjustment)? The closer you get the lenses to your eyes, the better it should be.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,836 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    How are you setting the eye relief (front/back adjustment)? The closer you get the lenses to your eyes, the better it should be.
    Good point. But also the more uncomfortable the headset becomes. But yeah, I pushed it as far as I could reasonably tolerate. I'll probably play around with that a bit. 

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    This is a YMMV kind of thing it seems, and probably related to IPD. For me, the entire screen is the sweet spot. It's amazing. But my IPD is smack dab in the perfect zone ( 63-ish)
  • rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 373
    Trinity
    edited May 2019
    MowTin said:
    What's your IPD setting on the Rift? 

If you have a high IPD then your sweet spot is small. That's the case with me at 70mm. 

Did you adjust the digital IPD? I set mine all the way to 72. 

First day felt eye strain but next day was fine. I probably played for 4 hours. It's not ideal but it's just so much better than the Rift visually. I'm loving replaying all my games with the new clarity. 

Also, I don't really move eyes much in VR. I turn my head. I notice I do the same thing in real life. 
    nalex66 said:
    I'm using 64 cause that is what it had in my CV1.
    Was going back to check in the CV1 and I think that the eye strain might have to do with the brightness in the Rift S. The CV1 feels a lot more dimed down in compareson. So maybe I get used to it over time.
    And also thinking that this blurryness might have been pressent a bit in the CV1 as well, but do to the higer clearity in the S, It's a lot more noticible when getting out of focus?

And I have the Rift S slider pretty close and tight to my face, helps make the S feel a bit more sturdy, and so used to the CV1 pressuring quite a bit on my face.
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    I'm at 63 and find the sweetspot equivalent of not bigger then the CV1, I don't see blue anywhere. I saw some at first but it turned out to be foggy lens (which never happened on CV1) 
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    Trinity
    maxpare79 said:
    I'm at 63 and find the sweetspot equivalent of not bigger then the CV1, I don't see blue anywhere. I saw some at first but it turned out to be foggy lens (which never happened on CV1) 
    Not blue. It gets blurry / out of focus when I'm looking around with my eyes inside the hmd, I have to keep my eyes really still and only use my head to look around, otherwise the objects I look at get's blurry.
    The Closet Sim Rig
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,314 Valuable Player
    RoadToVR experienced something similar - here's the solution 

Read more here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-review-good-choice-for-newcomers-difficult-choice-for-vr-vets/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,240 Valuable Player
    The sweet spot is bigger for me, and the FOV is bigger too. I've got a 64mm IPD.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    The sweet spot is bigger for me, and the FOV is bigger too. I've got a 64mm IPD.
    Same as me then, have 64 as well.

RuneSR2 said:

Read more here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-review-good-choice-for-newcomers-difficult-choice-for-vr-vets/
    Hm, interesting, I don't feel that the padding / chape is in the way, but might give it a try to see if that makes a difference.
    The Closet Sim Rig
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    rVRcloset said:
    So I'm not sure If I'm not getting the Rift S on the best possible position on my head, (a bit weird and fiddly with the halo after several years with the CV1) or if it's a ipd setting thing. (used 64 in rift)
    But I only have clarity when watching straight forward and turning my whole head to look around??..

My issue is that when looking around in the headset with my eyes, the image gets blurry.
    Really noticeble when I tried Arizona Sunshine and was looking down the sight, when closing my left eye I have to turn my head left to be able to see clear down the scope..

Weird, I noticed the same thing like 30 min. ago along with the eyestrain, and it's also like my eyes don't always see the image dead on, like one side is just barely off. My IPD is 66.
    Trinity
    jayhawk said:
    rVRcloset said:

Weird, I noticed the same thing like 30 min. ago along with the eyestrain, and it's also like my eyes don't always see the image dead on, like one side is just barely off. My IPD is 66.
    I think it might be the brighter screen in the Rift S that made my eye strain the first times I used it, after doing some shorter 30 minutes sessions the first days, I did a 2,5 hour session today without issues, and also noticed better clearity when looking around with my eyes by sliding the hmd closer to the eyes.
    The Closet Sim Rig
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,682
    Project 2501
    rVRcloset said:
    jayhawk said:
    rVRcloset said:

I think it might be the brighter screen in the Rift S that made my eye strain the first times I used it, after doing some shorter 30 minutes sessions the first days, I did a 2,5 hour session today without issues, and also noticed better clearity when looking around with my eyes by sliding the hmd closer to the eyes.
    I found exactly the same.  

The problem for me is that I do not seem to be able to slide the faceplate far enough back in order to get much improvement in FOV and sweet spot.  Also, even tightening it up a little creates a lot of pressure on my face and this is very uncomfortable.  

I really wish the faceplate the plastic faceplate support frame's side bits were made out of more flexible (rubbery?) material.  I realise that this may cause some new users with glasses some potential problems (like scratching their lens) but I think most experienced users would know how to avoid this.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• FanibleFanible Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

Read more here:

This was the article that made me want to try it out of morbid curiosity.  I was pretty surprised.  It's awesome.  It's the only way I play on the Rift-S now, going without the face/mask/foam.  The wider FOV is amazing, my face is cooler, and I don't know why, but with the lenses closer to my eyes, I don't need my glasses either (which I definitely do when using the original Rift or Vive).

The downside, of course, is that you can see the outside world to the left and right and some possible reflections.  Doesn't bother me, though.  The clarity of the new Rift-S screen combined with the bigger FOV is brilliant.

*Side note: I do actually have sports glasses that I use for motorcycle riding that block out the left and right that I CAN use and have tried with this method.  It works in blocking out the left and right well enough, but until I can get some sort of blockers to put on the headset, I don't want to continue using it for fear that my lenses might get scratched.

Someone on a Quest thread discovering the same thing, but adapted it to have foam still:

Sandcracka said:
    I think the face gasket is mainly there for people who wear glasses so as not to scratch the lenses.  I too have removed it and I use the face gasket from VRology originally meant for the Gear VR.

• antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    bad idea to do this
  • jkh0208jkh0208 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    bad idea to do this
    Why?