cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S : Audio popping/crackling

Solracd
Honored Guest
I received my headset and it was fine for a few seconds and then this erratic popping/crackling sound began (random intervals between the pops).  It is like listening to an old record.

It does the same thing when I plug audio buds into the 3.5 jack.

My wife can hear the sound from the couch so it is pretty distinctive.

I've also tested on 2 computers with the same result.

Did I get a bad headset?

12 REPLIES 12

Sinsinful
Expert Protege
Happens just before my tracking faults. Think its a common fault enough fault at the minute. At least you don't loose tracking!

N7EVOX
Honored Guest
It happens to me sometimes on some games on my Rift S.

SpiceLife72
Adventurer
Only had this in one game, Landfall when I first tried it.

Seems to have fixed itself now.

Bullant8547
Honored Guest
I've had this since day one, and it is incredibly annoying. Would love to know if this is a hardware (return) or software (don't return) fault?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is this also in Home not in Games? If Games then I'd try reducing the offending settings. In Elite it was FX QUALITY...set it to LOW or OFF  & VOLUMETRIC QUALITY set to LOW or Medium. It got better as they found the issue.

Bullant8547
Honored Guest
This is in home as well. In fact it even happens with the rift sitting on the desk and nothing "playing" at all (be it home or a game). But I can hear the occasional crackle/pop from the speakers. The best way to describe it is the effect with old unshielded appliances like washing machines and what they'd do to analogue radio receivers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lethal_Aims
Adventurer
My audio is mostly fine and so far I have only found one title, theBlu, which suffers from distortion/clipping. I think perhaps the Rift S struggles with the low frequency sounds. I am running Win 1903 with the hotfix.

fleischwuerst
Honored Guest
I have crcling audio only with the right side using earphones. I will return it because I thimk it is a shielding or other hardware issue