Rift S : Audio popping/crackling — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S : Audio popping/crackling

SolracdSolracd Posts: 1
NerveGear
edited May 24 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
I received my headset and it was fine for a few seconds and then this erratic popping/crackling sound began (random intervals between the pops).  It is like listening to an old record.

It does the same thing when I plug audio buds into the 3.5 jack.

My wife can hear the sound from the couch so it is pretty distinctive.

I've also tested on 2 computers with the same result.

Did I get a bad headset?

Tagged:

Comments

• SinsinfulSinsinful Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    Happens just before my tracking faults. Think its a common fault enough fault at the minute. At least you don't loose tracking!
  • N7EVOXN7EVOX Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    It happens to me sometimes on some games on my Rift S.

• SpiceLife72SpiceLife72 Posts: 153
    Art3mis
    Only had this in one game, Landfall when I first tried it.

Seems to have fixed itself now.
  • Bullant8547Bullant8547 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I've had this since day one, and it is incredibly annoying. Would love to know if this is a hardware (return) or software (don't return) fault?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 9
    Is this also in Home not in Games? If Games then I'd try reducing the offending settings. In Elite it was FX QUALITY...set it to LOW or OFF  & VOLUMETRIC QUALITY set to LOW or Medium. It got better as they found the issue.
  • Bullant8547Bullant8547 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    This is in home as well. In fact it even happens with the rift sitting on the desk and nothing "playing" at all (be it home or a game). But I can hear the occasional crackle/pop from the speakers. The best way to describe it is the effect with old unshielded appliances like washing machines and what they'd do to analogue radio receivers.
    Wintermute
  • Lethal_AimsLethal_Aims Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    My audio is mostly fine and so far I have only found one title, theBlu, which suffers from distortion/clipping. I think perhaps the Rift S struggles with the low frequency sounds. I am running Win 1903 with the hotfix.
  • fleischwuerstfleischwuerst Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have crcling audio only with the right side using earphones. I will return it because I thimk it is a shielding or other hardware issue
    Wintermute
    A User on one of these Audio problem threads said the PTC software fixed it on the Right side.
  • suntory_timessuntory_times Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    I'm having this issue with a new headset as well. Awesome to see they haven't bothered to fix it in months.