New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

1080ti or 2080 for the Rift S

RiverDaveRiverDave Posts: 2
NerveGear
I could get the 1080ti for 500€. I guess that would be the smarter move. I'll get this one: https://www.asus.com/de/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING/

Comments

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    I'd go with the 1080ti, nothing will come out for Rift S that will push that card to it's limits, the 2080 is overkill unless you want to walk around and brag about how much you wasted on a GPU by showing off your receipt.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,018 Valuable Player
    I'd get the 2080. 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,142 Valuable Player
    I'd get the rtx 2080 ti if I was buying it with your money, lol!  

Otherwise, I'd go with the gtx 1080 ti.  More VRAM than a 2080 (11 vs 8GB).  I doubt better passthrough is a must have and ASW 2.0 is probably not going to be a big deal for guys running i7-i9 cpu's at ~5 GHz.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    falken76 said:
    I'd go with the 1080ti, nothing will come out for Rift S that will push that card to it's limits, the 2080 is overkill unless you want to walk around and brag about how much you wasted on a GPU by showing off your receipt.

I mean, you're sort of on the right track, but the 2080 will  likely be cheaper, and the 1080ti is out of date basically.
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Honestly wouldn't both with the 1080 Ti at this point, unless you get a good deal used. It is pretty old and you might as well invest in the latest generation.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,609 Valuable Player
    , and the 1080ti is out of date basically.

They don't go "out of date". You keep using them as long as they're working okay and meet your current requirements.
    Also, I should add that software for the Rift S is compatible with the Rift. The "recommended" graphics card for both is still the 1060.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

3Jane
    edited May 2019
    Richooal said:

They don't go "out of date". You keep using them as long as they're working okay and meet your current requirements.
    Also, I should add that software for the Rift S is compatible with the Rift. The "recommended" graphics card for both is still the 1060.
    Don't play semantics please. The 20xx replace the 10xx is what I meant. The 2080 is a better buy, and it will likely be cheaper.
    Your logic is flawed. He isn't gonna "keep using" a 1080 ti, since he doesn't have one. He's asking which one to get. If he already had one, then a 2080 would be a bad buy. Also no one was debating what the recommended card is, but since you want to go there,  a 2080 is better than a 2060 and would allow for more super sampling. I would guess the OP knows a 1080ti or a 2080 are both better then the so called recommended card. 
    Richooal said:

The 1060 (or better) is the recommended minimum.  Honestly you would not recommend a 1060 to a friend imho, lol!

You are right, gpu's like the gtx1080ti are hardly likely to go out of date in the near future.  A good used one should cost a lot less than a new 2080, maybe ~25-35% less?  I've even seen a few new 1080ti's still available and still selling for ~ the same as a new 2080.  Even-steven I would probably rather have the well proven 1080ti.  

If and when gen 2.0 PCVR's actually come out we'll probably all be buying rtx3080ti's, maybe 2x in sli, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Art3mis
    For the same price, why buy a used card with no warranty, could have been mined with, etc.?
    For the same price, why buy a used card with no warranty, could have been mined with, etc.?
    I said I would only do that for new, not used.  A good used 1080ti should cost a lot less than a new 2080.  Of course you always take your chances with used.  I don't think it's true that miners wear out their gpu's faster than gamers.  Miners tend to underclock for efficiency while many gamers overclock the piss out of them to get a few more FPS, lol!

All things equal, incl warranty, I personally would prefer a 1080ti over a 2080.  Each to their own I guess.

3Jane
    edited May 2019
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Richooal said:

The 1060 (or better) is the recommended minimum.  Honestly you would not recommend a 1060 to a friend imho, lol!

You are right, gpu's like the gtx1080ti are hardly likely to go out of date in the near future.  A good used one should cost a lot less than a new 2080, maybe ~25-35% less?  I've even seen a few new 1080ti's still available and still selling for ~ the same as a new 2080.  Even-steven I would probably rather have the well proven 1080ti.  

If and when gen 2.0 PCVR's actually come out we'll probably all be buying rtx3080ti's, maybe 2x in sli, lol!
    At least here in Canada. 10xx series gets place holder /out of stock over priced prices, and you're pushed to get a 20xx if you're shopping. And I wouldn't buy a used card, so yup...2080 is best buy vs a 1080 ti
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,609 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Richooal said:

I don't know where you go for Rift specs, but the Oculus Rift S page clearly shows 1060 as RECOMMENDED.  There is no "recommended minimum".

At least here in Canada. 10xx series gets place holder /out of stock over priced prices, and you're pushed to get a 20xx if you're shopping. And I wouldn't buy a used card, so yup...2080 is best buy vs a 1080 ti

Also, in Australia, although 1080Ti is still available new, it's around $200 more than a 2080. I wouldn't buy either of them for the Rift. It just makes gaming too expensive. And the 1060 is recommended by Oculus :p
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

3Jane
    edited May 2019
    Richooal said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Richooal said:

I don't know where you go for Rift specs, but the Oculus Rift S page clearly shows 1060 as RECOMMENDED.  There is no "recommended minimum".

Also, in Australia, although 1080Ti is still available new, it's around $200 more than a 2080. I wouldn't buy either of them for the Rift. It just makes gaming too expensive. And the 1060 is recommended by Oculus :p
    You're more than entitled to your opinion but it's just that, a opinion. The stronger the card, the more super sampling you can push and the less reprojection you'll get. " recommended " only means base settings, with good performance. It doesn't mean high settings with little reprojection and super sampling used. You are misinterpreting the word "recommended". It's fine to be budget minded, but if you want more clarity and performance, ya...it'll cost ya. I mean, I'm still on a FE 1080 and I'm still happy with it. Amazing card that still handles everything, but I wouldn't tell someone to not bother with more than a 1060, that's ridiculous.

Some of you keep pointing out the obvious, quoting what the recommended card is and such. That's not even what the thread is about.
    Art3mis
    A 1060 is recommended for a baseline experience, e.g. with games on default settings.
    You may still be able to unlock higher settings on more capable hardware.
    Ya, you have to read the whole line of recommended where it then says 'or greater'.  So to me, that means the 1060 is the minimum recommended spec.  Really no big deal as it's pretty obvious that better specs will give better performance.  Whether or not you can afford that extra performance is up to your Banker, lol! 

And Comic's right, all this poor guy wants to know is if 500 quid for a gtx1080ti is a good move for his Rift-S.  In my opinion it's a good move, others have expressed their opinions, so now it's just up to him and his Banker.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,018 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Richooal said:

sli is outdated :p
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 347
    Trinity
    edited May 2019
    For those who keep looking at the 1080ti remember it doesn't have the tuning processors and won't take advantage of the new nvidea features for pass through , quote from article I posted

"Similarly, Passthrough+ on Turing GPUs will make use of optical flow upgrades to improve the depth and stability of the view."

" For Passthrough+ this means increased stereo resolution of the projected world, while thin objects are correctly tracked and followed. When faced with low contrast or over-exposed areas, NVIDIA optical flow can still infer meaningful disparity values, preventing visual holes or missing data as we estimate the depth of the scene"

3Jane
    For those who keep looking at the 1080ti remember it doesn't have the tuning processors 

The what now? The architecture is called Turing. It doesn't have " tuning processors".  I wouldn't call the Passthrough+ a must have feature ether.
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 347
    Trinity
    edited May 2019
    Perhaps processors was  poor wording however it's still architecture you'll not have

"Nvidia has unveiled its new Turing architecture along with details of the first GPUs to use it. Turing includes dedicated “RT Core” hardware designed to drive ray tracing, a complex technique that can deliver extremely realistic lighting effects but has been prohibitively resource-intensive to render in real time. Nvidia calls the new Turing-based Quadro RTX the “world’s first ray-tracing GPU” and claims it’s the biggest leap since the company introduced CUDA in 2006."

So now you have two functions that this architecture supports
    Ray tracing and optical flow

3Jane
    Perhaps processors was  poor wording however it's still architecture you'll not have

"Nvidia has unveiled its new Turing architecture along with details of the first GPUs to use it. Turing includes dedicated “RT Core” hardware designed to drive ray tracing, a complex technique that can deliver extremely realistic lighting effects but has been prohibitively resource-intensive to render in real time. Nvidia calls the new Turing-based Quadro RTX the “world’s first ray-tracing GPU” and claims it’s the biggest leap since the company introduced CUDA in 2006."

So now you have two functions that this architecture supports
    Ray tracing and optical flow

Name one VR game with ray tracing :P. Safe to say, those of us on 1070's and 1080's are good for one more year or so.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    GTX1060 seems to work fine with Rift S
    3Jane
    edited May 2019
    le sigh...

Why wouldn't it. Not the topic here.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    le sigh...

Well the point was that 1080ti will probably be very sufficient.

3Jane
    edited May 2019
    le sigh...

Gee ya think? The thread isn't about 1060 vs 1080ti.

What is the deal with people? yeesh.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,493 Valuable Player
    Wait a few months and see what both AMD and Nvidia are going to bring to the table with the Navi and 21xx cards. The new Turing tech will be cheaper to produce by the time they release so we probably won't see GPUs costing over a grand.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    3Jane
    edited May 2019
    snowdog said:
    Wait a few months and see what both AMD and Nvidia are going to bring to the table with the Navi and 21xx cards. The new Turing tech will be cheaper to produce by the time they release so we probably won't see GPUs costing over a grand.
    This is what I'm doing. I sure aint spending $1500 on a 2080ti. A 2180 will be $900 CAD and beat it. I'd expect a 2180 will be $600 or so.

The 1080 is really pretty ridiculous. I hadn't spent $900 on a GPU since the ATI 1950xtx over 15 years ago, and regretted the shit out of that as the 8800 gt/gts was just around the corner and smoked it. But the 1080...what a power house. Handles everything out there, still to this day on high/max settings, and VR with super sampling. Best card I've ever had, with the longest stretch of satisfying use, and it's still not done.

When I finally get a 21xx, man is that going to be a performance upgrade. But ya...not until the 21xx. the 20xx just aint worth it. The OP has to choose between a 10xx and a 20xx. There's no point in getting older tech unless it's much much cheaper, but you might end up with a card that was used for mining. /cringe

TomCgcmfc said:
    Richooal said:

I would.  I have one and it works very well for my needs.  If the person I'm recommending a card to can't afford to drop nearly $700 on a GPU, perhaps they can afford $200 for nearly the same experience.  It won't be as good, but to the laymen, the differences are not glaringly obvious, so if they can save $500, they can certainly see the difference in their bank account.  This makes the difference between experiencing VR and saying "Fuck it, it's too damn expensive" for those that can't afford everything being top of the line.
    edited May 2019
    le sigh...

Thread probably shifted a little off topic when someone said "You wouldn't recommend a 1060 to a friend would you LOL"
    edited May 2019
    falken76 said:
    le sigh...

Thread probably shifted a little off topic when someone said "You wouldn't recommend a 1060 to a friend would you LOL"
    Richooal said:

Na, I cannot take full credit  it started much earlier when Rich posted that the 1060 was the recommended gpu and then we argued about this was or was no the minimum recommended gpu. Obviously since it is the min recommended it should not deter guys who already have one, or is all they can afford, to use this.  Just not something I would personally recommend. 

Anyway, I'm sure we are all sorry for the de-rail and we're so glad you now have us back on track, lol!

I think this thread has run its course.  Maybe time for a mod to do his mod thing and close it.