New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S Screen goes black while using it

MJehle01MJehle01 Posts: 30
Brain Burst
Hey everyone,

i've seen the problem described in a few threads. But it seems no one has a good solution. I've got the new Rift S. But after using it a while (between a few seconds and a minute) the screen starts to flicker and then goes black. The simulation is still running. I can see it on my monitor and hear the sound.

I already tried
  1. Unplug/Replug DisplayPort and USB
  2. Newest Nvidia drivers (from the nvidia website)
  3. Newest USB drivers
  4. Windows Updates (Audio seems lost since updating to windows 1903. Would not recommend it)
  5. Power settings to the highest
  6. Do not allow PC to deactivate USB to save power
  7. Remove the facial interface and unplug/replug the cable on the rift side
I contacted the support yesterday but they have not answered yet. Probably very busy right now...

Anyone with the same problem? Any more ideas are appreciated

Comments

• LomLom Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
     Same issue. I have to disconnect Usb and DP cable, wait a few seconds and put it in again, sometimes it is working, but only in port 1. 
  • MJehle01MJehle01 Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Found that out too. I have a GTX 980 Ti. The Rift S only works with 2 out of the 3 DisplayPorts. (Choose the wrong one at first of course :smile: )
  • rservellorservello Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    Use headphones. It's a problem with the Halo speakers.... Sounds over a certain db crash the hmd. I've had no issues since starting using headphones. 
    Brain Burst
    It's not the headphones. It seems to be certain apps. The first steps app wont play anything. But the google earth vr demo just worked fine. Image and sound. Until the screen went black again after a minute. This is really frustrating
    Brain Burst
    Some users suggested turning of G-Sync. Did not help in my case. But the oculus support is having a look at my logfiles right now. Fingers crossed.
  • BryrosBryros Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Some news?!
    Brain Burst
    Still nothing. But the Oculus support is on it. Do you have the same problem ?
  • BryrosBryros Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Yes 50% xD

Sometimes i dind´s see anything, only ear the sound and black screen. For the other hand, sometimes, i see the simulation but in 30 sec aprox, black screen again and only ear the sound. :/

Sorry for my bad English.
  • OglesautoOglesauto Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Following this thread.  Having the same problem.

Brain Burst
    Hey @Oglesauto. Did you find any other suggestions or options that you have tried related to the problem?

I just activated the "Public Test Channel" and got a bunch of updates. App version is 1.38.0.250171 right now. The problem, sadly, still remains. The flickering seems reduced but the screen still goes black after a minute or so.
    Brain Burst
    Got a reply from Oculus support today. They asked for the Rift S serial number and my adress so they can send me a new cable. They did not mention the log files i sent them.

In the mean time I installed a USB 3.0 PCIe card and plugged the Rift into one of those USB ports because i found some posts where that solved the problem (USB not able to deliver enough power or something like that). This also did not help.
    Brain Burst
    Still got the black screens. But a Windows update seems to have brought back the sound today.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    Computer specs would help... Including motherboard/gpu/psu brand/model, the type of casing where your computer is running and number of monitors you're using. If running more than 1 monitor, tell what you see when you press left windows key + P. Also does your gpu have power connector and if so, is it connected to a wire coming from psu?
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    @sakariaura Sorry for the delay. I was rather busy.

This is my hardware:
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K (4x4 GHz)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
    Graphic card: GTX 980Ti
    RAM: 16 GB
    PSU: Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Yes: The graphic card has a direct power supply from the PSU via 8-pin PEG.

I have a 4K Acer Monitor and a FullHD Monitor. I think i tried every combination. Only one monitor and the Rift, disable G-Sync, lower the resolution, connect via DisplayPort or HDMI, different DisplayPorts.

If i press Win+P it says "Computer only"
    Brain Burst
    Got the new cable from Oculus support. No difference.
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    This is really a longshot, but... when you tried with one monitor and the rift did you test rift with 4K or FullHD monitor? If you tested with 4K monitor could you test also with only FullHD and rift connected.

Most importantly - make sure that only devices which are physically connected to graphics card are one rift s + one monitor*.

*) generally as long win+p doesn't say extend or duplicate, you should be fine even with 2 monitors connected simultaneously - however some have reported that _in some cases_ just by connecting secondary monitor you might end up having black screens on rift s.

If this doesn't work -  personally I believe that it might be wise to test your rift s on some other computer to see if it works at all. That way you could get some leverage while talking with the support. I am sure they sort this out eventually, but would probably get you easy pass through the "possible user error"-filter while they are trying to figure what they can fix with software and who needs replacement hardware.

Brain Burst
    I tested with both monitors (4K and Rift and after that FullHD and Rift)
    Brain Burst
    This is weird. I just noticed that the Windows power options jump rapidly between "balanced" and "high performance" when the screen starts to flicker. The jumping seems synchronized with the flickering.
    Trinity
    Wow... that certainly should not be happening :) Don't even think that windows itself can alter those settings. However there are several other programs which have access to alter power settings and clock speeds... New direction of investigation ?-)
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    When opening Oculus Software it should select HIGH PERFORMANCE for you as it requires that for your GPU to run VR. If it was set at other prior then it will revert again once it is closed.
    Brain Burst
    @MAC_MAN86 I can confirm that the power settings switch automatically from "balanced" to "high performance" when starting the oculus software and then back when closing it.

@sraura I am not aware of any software running on my PC that could alter the settings. Got any names i could check ?
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    Hmm yes - indeed oculus software seems to do that. Interesting fact. Haven't noticed as running my power options on high performance by default. What is more interesting is that Oculus software does not notify anything about such change to system settings.

Together what MJehle01 said, this also means that when his screen starts flickering, Oculus software has gone to a loop where it certainly should not be.
    Trinity
    Ok so I have useful information to you;
    While Oculus client is running and one pulls either "usb" or "display port"-connector from computer, oculus software stays on but changes windows power setting.

In other words this means, that the flickering you're experiencing is probably caused by some bad connection somewhere. Most likely by broken or loosely seated connector or broken cable. Less likely by some bad connection inside the HMD.

Double check the wiring - specially the end which is connected to HMD itself.
    Brain Burst
    Well since i already got a second cable and the problem is still the same it seems to me it is the HMD.
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    Sounds like it.

Just to make sure...
    Fully seated cable should look like this (from above):

Trinity
    Btw before giving up, could you try setting power options to "high performance" by default. I wonder if doing that would change anything.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    Ahem, if the PC would not alter that by auto then it ain't got the GPU drivers installed properly but @MJehle01 has in fact already confirmed it does switch it!
    Trinity
    I am not questioning that. Just would like to tie the loose ends on the fact is the flickering caused by power state change or is power state change a result of the flickering.

As of now it seems that the flickering is caused by brief break on usb- or displaycable connection. Just wanted to rule out the possibility that possible unwanted power state change (to balanced) is not the cause which cuts the connection in 1st place. If power state is set to high performance by default, oculus software will not try to change it to "balanced" even by accident. This will rule out one possible cause.

But still - I believe that any software which changes _systemwide_ power plans without permission (or at least announcement) - should not change the power plans.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    I really appreciate the effort guys.

Yes the cable is plugged in correctly.

Yes i tried to set power settings to "High performance" by default. The power settings do not change but the screen still flickers and goes black. I think i'll have to ask Oculus  for a replacement.
    Brain Burst
    Oculus support said they would replace the complete Rift S and asked me for pictures from the controller serial numbers.