cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S is blurry and fuzzy.

BrianRS
Honored Guest
So basically the title. I just got this thing today and even with my glasses text is not clear to read and while I am playing Superhot VR I randomly notice that everything is fuzzy, like I can't see the corners of the "Glass" people clearly.  This even happens in the home room or "hub". Any ideas, like calibration? My pupil distance is set correctly but I don't know if there is another calibration tool. I haven't been able to tilt it and get it looking good either. Do I need to calibrate something that I havent? I want the best outta this thing and it is kind of bothersome to have it always out of focus.
10 REPLIES 10

lensmandave
Superstar
Do you wear glasses for distance or reading? If you need them for distance, then you'll need them when using your Rift.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

RattyUK
Trustee
I also noticed that even with the IPD set correctly that some experimentation with 'vertical' placement (how the halo sits on the front of your head) is needed to get the best image, moreso with the S than with the original.
Looking to the edges of the lenses appears to be dependent on the IPD lottery as to how fuzzy they are going by comments read.
Hope this helps a little.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
RoadToVR experienced something similar - here's the solution 😉

Read more here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-review-good-choice-for-newcomers-difficult-choice-for-vr-vets...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

moxiejeff
Honored Guest
I am a brand new user to VR and got the Rift S. I love it EXCEPT it is so blurry, especially text, which to me is almost a deal breaker. I have tried EVERYTHING. Placement of the HMD, changing the IPD in settings, turning on SS via Oculus Tool set, and nothing works. Even wearing reading glasses did absolutely no difference. Such a shame, IMO.

Lujho
Expert Protege

moxiejeff said:

I am a brand new user to VR and got the Rift S. I love it EXCEPT it is so blurry, especially text, which to me is almost a deal breaker. I have tried EVERYTHING. Placement of the HMD, changing the IPD in settings, turning on SS via Oculus Tool set, and nothing works. Even wearing reading glasses did absolutely no difference. Such a shame, IMO.

Reading glasses wouldn't help AT ALL. They're the exact opposite kind of glasses that would help with a VR headset. Glasses for distance vision (if needed in everyday life) must be worn in the headset, since everything in VR is optically a couple of metres away.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is probably a stupid question, but you never know.  Did you remove the plastic coating on the lens that came with it.  I used mine for 2 days before I noticed it was there. (Yes, I admit I didn't see it....).  There is a protective peel on the inside of the lens out of the packing.  You probably removed this, but you might have missed it like I did. 

With that being said, I also have noticed my rift s seems blurry as well.  I assumed the lens were maybe dirty, but am afraid to wipe them and I don't know what to clean them with anyway.  I don't want to mess them up.  Mine seem fuzzy from looking straight ahead at things.  Im constantly moving my head to focus it.  Kinda annoying.  Not sure if its the video display or just needs to be cleaned (if you can clean them).  I have other problems trying to get it to work that are outwaying the fuzzy thing right now...  hope you get yours fixed or cleared...

Knarknil
Honored Guest
newbie here too> blurry pic with or without glasses, anyway to boost signal to headset? or something? much much disapointed!

Knarknil
Honored Guest
too bad you cant plug it into xbox one directly!

t3rr0rbit3
Explorer
why would you want to plug a PCVR HMD in to a crappy console