Lone Echo 2 pushed to 2020! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Lone Echo 2 pushed to 2020!

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,383 Valuable Player
edited May 25 in Games and Apps
At least according to this article:

https://www.shacknews.com/article/111880/lone-echo-2-interview-put-on-the-headset-and-be-transported

Quote: "You can get your hands on Lone Echo 2 in early 2020exclusively from the Oculus Store. For more developer interviews and game industry convention videos, be sure to follow Shacknews and GamerHubTV on YouTube."

Interview with the devs (confirming the 2020 launch year at the very end of the video):

That's easily one full year from now, man I miss Olivia  :s

Of course it's fully understandable that such a game may take about 3 years to develop. 
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 671
    Neo
    Early 2020....   Shame, but worth waiting for I think :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,383 Valuable Player
    edited May 25
    Hmmm, Lone Echo 2 would be my primary reason to get a Rift-S this year, and of course there're still Stormland and Asgard's Wrath - I'm not sure I'm that much into games like Defector. 

Also I greatly enjoyed using my CV1 ss 2.0 last night, not sure this craving for a new HMD is very important. I don't really notice SDE when moving. Let's hope Asgard's Wrath is ready in July! With 30+ hours of gameplay, Asgard's Wrath could be the one massive VR game to rule them all  ;)

"Mat Kraemer, creative director at developer Sanzaru Games, said the VR title has more than 30 hours of gameplay, anchored by physics-based sword combat with a layering of role-playing game elements."
    https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/21/asgards-wrath-how-sanzaru-is-crafting-a-30-hour-norse-saga-game-in-vr/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,475
    Project 2501
    Take as long as needed imo. Make it great! 
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 108
    Art3mis
    I just started my second playthough of Lone Echo with Rift-S.

Its nice to see everything with clearer graphics this time. Its also long time since my last play and i kinda crushed through. This time i will take my time and enjoy the journey.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,868 Valuable Player
    That’s LESS than a year. Anywhere from 7-9 months. 

edited May 25
    Digikid1 said:
    That’s LESS than a year. Anywhere from 7-9 months. 

Yup, if the deadline holds - the last one didn't... Early 2020 could mean anything from first quarter to first half of 2020, although they probably mean the first quarter. But it also implies they'll miss the Christmas sales - so I doubt the game will be out in January 2020. The end of Q1 2020 is 10 months from today. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,612 Valuable Player
    Dear Oculus, you know what I'm going to say, don't you? :p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    But @snowdog ,  Vive doesn't even have Lone Echo 1 yet!

Side note, I still need to actually finish that one.   Hopefully I will have by the time Long Echo 2 arrives.    Seems like more than enough time, I know,  but if I miss even one collectible / secret in an area, I don't know how I'll be able to continue on to the next.   Damn completionist habits, preventing me from actually enjoying games. 
    :grimace:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,434
    Project 2501
    edited May 25
    If it's going to be another massive puzzle game then I don't care. 

I just don't love puzzle games. I never even bought the greatest puzzle game ever--Portal. 

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Lone Echo and I'll certainly buy Lone Echo 2 but I feel it's a totally missed opportunity. Echo Combat VR is amazing. If they just added Echo Combat VR to a story-driven campaign it would be the Half-Life 2 of VR. 

Puzzle games are not going to bring the masses to VR. Why invest so much time and money on a genre that has only a tiny fraction of gaming sales? That's just my opinion. 
    MowTin said:

I just don't love puzzle games. I never even bought the greatest puzzle game ever--Portal. 

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Lone Echo and I'll certainly buy Lone Echo 2 but I feel it's a totally missed opportunity. Echo Combat VR is amazing. If they just added Echo Combat VR to a story-driven campaign it would be the Half-Life 2 of VR. 

Puzzle games are not going to bring the masses to VR. Why invest so much time and money on a genre that has only a tiny fraction of gaming sales? That's just my opinion. 

I wouldn't call Lone Echo a puzzle game, actually not by a long shot. Sure there're missions where you should locate stuff, but it's more a story-driven action adventure. Maybe more like Bioforge without the combat. Man, I'm starting to miss Bioforge too now :s - that game was like the most awesome thing ever, imagine that in VR  :D  

So Origin called BioForge an "interactive movie" - maybe that's precisely what Lone Echo is!  ;) 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,958 Valuable Player
    edited May 26
    ah nuts, one game I was really looking forward to trying out in my new headset.
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    ah nuts, one game I was really looking forward to trying out in my new headset.
    I’m sure they’re too busy converting Lone Echo to Quest before bringing the sequel out to PC.

I’ll purchase Lone Echo when Knuckles are here in a few weeks. 
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,958 Valuable Player
    I like your optimism ;)
    ParadoxAnomaly said:

I’m sure they’re too busy converting Lone Echo to Quest before bringing the sequel out to PC.

If that happens, I'll stop my grumpy skepticism and start believing! 

Image result for big foot

Image result for loch ness monster

Image result for ufo sighting real photo

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,935 Valuable Player
    About 8 or 9 more months? No problem. Stormland and Defector will arrive soon, and that's plenty to keep folks busy until then.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,612 Valuable Player
    CrashFu said:
    But @snowdog ,  Vive doesn't even have Lone Echo 1 yet!

Side note, I still need to actually finish that one.   Hopefully I will have by the time Long Echo 2 arrives.    Seems like more than enough time, I know,  but if I miss even one collectible / secret in an area, I don't know how I'll be able to continue on to the next.   Damn completionist habits, preventing me from actually enjoying games. 
    :grimace:

Of course it does! You just have to use Revive and put up with shite wands and touchpads!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,177
    Wintermute
    Be good, die great !
    Project 2501
    edited May 27
    KlodsBrik said:
    I read this...

I talked with Ru Weerasuriya, the CEO and creative director of Ready at Dawn, about what it’s like to make the studio’s third major title in VR, even as virtual reality is still struggling to take off in consumer markets. In this game, you play as Jack, and you try to solve various puzzles as you make your way through the dangerous space vessel. The goal is to make repairs, get around barriers, and find out what the heck is going on.

Let me just say I love Echo Combat VR. It's one of the most innovative games in VR. It takes FPS to a whole new level that's only possible in VR. So, I was really hoping Lone Echo 2 would utilize this groundbreaking game mechanic and incorporate it into a story campaign. 

If you want to grow VR, then you need to go after the biggest gamer population--the FPS gamer. The gamers who loved Half-Life 2. But Oculus seems to be doing its best to avoid violence in games. They turned the Bullet Train enemies into robots. If you want to grow VR you need to appeal to the largest gamer demographic. 
    @MowTin - VR is for more than just Gamers, though.  And it's certainly for more than just the hardcore FPS / action game crowd..

Personally, while I love a good shooter / action game, especially in VR,  I'm eager to see as large a variety of games as possible, and both Puzzle games and any Exploration-heavy game in general can be absolutely fantastic in this medium.

Don't worry though, I'm sure there will be no end to good shooter games in the coming years.  In fact, if you want Lone Echo but with more guns... Stormland will hopefully be out soon.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,192
    Wintermute
    edited May 27
    Maybe delayed because it will take them another year to program the Touch Joysticks to be errrrrr Dynamic!!!
    Project 2501
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Maybe delayed because it will take them another year to program the Touch Joysticks to be errrrrr Dynamic!!!
    Can you explain what you mean by dynamic? I feel like Echo Combat VR has incredibly good controls. 
    Project 2501
    edited May 28
    CrashFu said:
    @MowTin - VR is for more than just Gamers, though.  And it's certainly for more than just the hardcore FPS / action game crowd..

Personally, while I love a good shooter / action game, especially in VR,  I'm eager to see as large a variety of games as possible, and both Puzzle games and any Exploration-heavy game in general can be absolutely fantastic in this medium.

Don't worry though, I'm sure there will be no end to good shooter games in the coming years.  In fact, if you want Lone Echo but with more guns... Stormland will hopefully be out soon.
    I'm just talking more VR adoption. The top-selling PSVR games of 2018 are:

1. Firewall Zero Hour
    2. Farpoint
    3. Bravo Team
    Notice a pattern? Yet Oculus has not touched the genre. That's just not good business.  

By the way, I tried Lone Echo yesterday on the Rift-S and it looks amazing. I feel like replaying it. So, I am looking forward to Lone Echo 2 but I'm disappointed that they didn't use the opportunity to create the first zero-G FPS in VR. It coudl been the HL-2 of VR. 

Oh, and Valve may put out HL-2 VR. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,481 Volunteer Moderator
    They haven't said that Lone Echo 2 won't include any combat, so who knows, some of the mechanics of Echo Combat could find their way into the game.

By the way, if you haven't played Portal and Portal 2, you're missing out on some of the best games set in the Half-Life universe.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    @MowTin ; -  I'm not sure why you think nobody is catering to the FPS crowd as it is,  there is no shortage of shooters available on Oculus Home, and at least a few of them are based on Zero-G combat.   In fact, one of them has been advertised pretty heavily on the main page for a while now..

Have you checked out Space Junkies yet?  https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1340764792673326/?locale=en_US

There's really no need to demand that people change other games to be more like the games you like.  Just buy the kind of games you like, and let the rest of us have the Lone Echo franchise we already love.
    Project 2501
    CrashFu said:
    @MowTin ; -  I'm not sure why you think nobody is catering to the FPS crowd as it is,  there is no shortage of shooters available on Oculus Home, and at least a few of them are based on Zero-G combat.   In fact, one of them has been advertised pretty heavily on the main page for a while now..

Have you checked out Space Junkies yet?  https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1340764792673326/?locale=en_US

There's really no need to demand that people change other games to be more like the games you like.  Just buy the kind of games you like, and let the rest of us have the Lone Echo franchise we already love.
    To be fair, I wasn't talking about games that I like. I'm talking about the most popular genre in gaming by far. And it's not so much about me, it's my wish for VR to succeed and prosper and reach mass adoption. 

I've played Space Junkies but it's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a HL-2 like game in VR. A full story-driven campaign FPS. 

Games like Robo Recall and Marvel MPU don't have a story-driven campaign. Arizona Sunshine is a good example of an FPS with a story-driven campaign. But it doesn't have that Oculus Studios polish. 

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point. I just think that in the future, the zero-g shooter will be a massive success. At least we have Stormland and Asgard's Wrath coming which will be full story-driven FPS games. 
    More about Lone Echo 2 in this fresh interview:

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,065
    Wintermute
    edited June 12
    MowTin said:

I agree with the point about combat, because I always thought they should of had some combat in Lone Echo too.

It would be good if the same company made an Alien game in space after Lone Echo 2 is released. I really hope they keep making games.

MowTin said:
    CrashFu said:

To be fair, I wasn't talking about games that I like. I'm talking about the most popular genre in gaming by far. And it's not so much about me, it's my wish for VR to succeed and prosper and reach mass adoption. 

I've played Space Junkies but it's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a HL-2 like game in VR. A full story-driven campaign FPS. 

Games like Robo Recall and Marvel MPU don't have a story-driven campaign. Arizona Sunshine is a good example of an FPS with a story-driven campaign. But it doesn't have that Oculus Studios polish. 

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point. I just think that in the future, the zero-g shooter will be a massive success. At least we have Stormland and Asgard's Wrath coming which will be full story-driven FPS games. 

I get what your saying. I think & hope that Boneworks will eventually get us to where we need to be, I really have faith in them making the best VR games in the future. A lot of people suspect that Valve have partnered with Boneworks to make Portal and Half Life VR, I am a believer of this too!  :D
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!