WOW that Increased FOV (when you remove the face foam) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

WOW that Increased FOV (when you remove the face foam)

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,560 Valuable Player
After a session with Racket Fury I took off the face-foam to leave it by the open window to dry. Aside from my bodily aroma attracting bees, butterflies, mosquitoes and the local alcoholics from the nearby park, it seems to be doing the trick. However, I then placed the Quest on my head without this foam and by-jove (I know not many people use this expression anymore) the fov increase is pretty substantial. I am now wondering how this face-foam could be modded to make this a permanent solution. I do have a nice thin leather VR Cover that I use(d) for the Rift but there is no velcro to attach it. I'd have to use some creative thinking to get secured. 

I am wondering though, aside from obvious reason for protecting the HMD from moisture, why Oculus use such thick foam wasting quite a bit of screen real estate in the process? I guess this is what Valve mean with the Index and the increase to 130 degree fov for the Index by moving the eyes closer to the lenses.

Thoughts?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 25
    I think the face gasket is mainly there for people who wear glasses so as not to scratch the lenses.  I too have removed it and I use the face gasket from VRology originally meant for the Gear VR.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    I guess this is what Valve mean with the Index and the increase to 130 degree fov for the Index by moving the eyes closer to the lenses.

Thoughts?

I think that's spot on, unless the lenses are slightly larger too on the Index, we'll see when the NDA is lifted next week. 

Low-light conditions in the room may reduce the impact of having the gasket removed?  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,560 Valuable Player
    @Sandcracka how did you stick those on though?

• DilipDilip Posts: 251
    Nexus 6
    Since its removable...If Oculus will not come up with short new gaskets its opportunity for 3rd party to make soft material and short gaskets for those who doesn't have vision correction specs...
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    I guess this is what Valve mean with the Index and the increase to 130 degree fov for the Index by moving the eyes closer to the lenses.

Thoughts?

This does look kinda big, or is it just me?  ;)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • aoaaronaoaaron Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    So basically what ur saying is we need a really really thing interface thing or increased fov? 
  • john2910john2910 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    indeed, we need a far thinner face cover,when you remove the facecover the field of view i much better and clearer for me.. i didnt know you could remove the foam by the way..
  • DeadaceDeadace Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    You can buy rolls of velcro, where you cut of pieces you need with a scissor. it has very strong stickiness on the back, like tape but way stronger, that'll work!
    NerveGear
    by the way the foam is not removable from the plastic faceplate... a pitty
  • FanibleFanible Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    edited May 27
    It works great removing the mask with the Rift-S as well.  It sounds crazy, but I love it without the face foam.  It's mainly thanks to the new halo that it's possible, since all the support is around your head.  I felt like the original Rift (and maybe the Quest?) kinda needed the support from the brow and cheek to keep it in place.  With halo, it works fine just tightening it around your head and keeping the lenses dangling in front, so to speak.

But yeah, I felt silly when first trying it, but it's amazing.  The increased FOV and the increased clarity from the Rift-S screen makes this headset amazing to me.  So much better than the original Rift and Vive for the view alone.  Gives you a more square look instead of goggles, but I love it.

Now here's the weird thing.  I normally wear glasses.  I figured this couldn't work for me since I'd have to worry about the lenses scratching, but I have actually found I don't need my glasses when using it in this way.  I suppose it's possible that my eyes just aren't bad enough, but either way, I guess being able to bring my eyes so close to the screen and/or the way you can angle the lenses in just the right spot... but yeah, I don't really need my glasses when using the headset like this, like I do when using the Vive or Rift.  I just move the lenses right up to my eye balls, line it up until it's clear (don't know about anyone else, but I feel like I look kinda at an upward angle into them), tighten the halo and then I'm good to go.  It's pretty awesome.

Obviously this isn't going to be for everyone.  Mainly I imagine because of the fact that the outside world can be seen more and the possibility of light reflection.  For whatever reason, though, it doesn't bother me much.  And it's worth it for the greater FOV.
  • FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    Fanible said:
    Now here's the weird thing.  I normally wear glasses.  I figured this couldn't work for me since I'd have to worry about the lenses scratching, but I have actually found I don't need my glasses when using it in this way.  I suppose it's possible that my eyes just aren't bad enough, but either way, I guess being able to bring my eyes so close to the screen and/or the way you can angle the lenses in just the right spot... but yeah, I don't really need my glasses when using the headset like this, like I do when using the Vive or Rift.  I just move the lenses right up to my eye balls, line it up until it's clear (don't know about anyone else, but I feel like I look kinda at an upward angle into them), tighten the halo and then I'm good to go.  It's pretty awesome.
    I found the same thing with the Quest. I have to wear my glasses in the Rift, but not in the Quest! I can adjust the position on my face to make the whole screen pin sharp. That might change though when my VR Cover arrives. Hope not though :)
    NerveGear
    yea i realy need a thinner facepad to come closer to the screens,is much better this way..
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,998 Valuable Player
    edited May 28
    Any idea how much extra FOV you  get roughly? One of my main reasons for not choosing the rift s was no improvement to FOV?

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,248 Valuable Player
    Any idea how much extra FOV you  get roughly? One of my main reasons for not choosing the rift s was no improvement to FOV?

Was just going to ask the same question.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,560 Valuable Player
    In reality it's not much but does help with the tunnel vision feeling. 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,998 Valuable Player
    I noticed this on the CV1 if you tightened the headset until your eyes bulge. :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,248 Valuable Player
    edited May 29
    I have just done this mod on my CV1 and the difference is night and day. How come Oculus don't consider these things when designing their headsets. This mod gives you a bigger Fov and improves the horrible binocular effect. Now I don't see the line in the middle like you get when looking through a pair of Binoculars. I wish I'd seen this mod earlier.