Rift S - USB (Update Drivers) fun... — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S - USB (Update Drivers) fun...

RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 732
3Jane
edited May 25 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Everything working fine after installation and several hours playing various games last night.
Switch on PC this morning and Rift S is fine, a couple of hours later it is bleating about USB drivers - the very same that were fine earlier...

What is it with Oculus and USB?  The rift was very fussy but improved over time, but at least was fairly predicatable.  now their newest generation appears to be equally unpredicatable.
Only bleating as the S wouldn't startup (black screen but sound) until a reboot then comes up with this lettle gem - frustrating, Oculus, frustrating!

ETA: Forgot to mention - there are no newer USB drivers - everything is completely up-to-date :)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)

Comments

• BobbyB1gPlaysBobbyB1gPlays Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I had this same issue aswell please respond somebody
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,590 Valuable Player
    I've had the CV1 for 2 years, never had any USB problems - just for the record ;)

I'm starting to think that much may depend on the mainboard - mine is from MSI and officially certified for VR (but it didn't directly say Oculus - but back then Oculus and HTC were the only PCVR providers). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • JohnnyMac63JohnnyMac63 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I think it's just Oculus.Doesnt seem to matter Intel,amd,both get warnings.did a fresh install of windows and Oculus and still have the issue... everything seems to work ok..will ignore it at this point as it doesn't seem to cause issues.i did create a ticket and they told me to clear out all old data..and did so with the fresh install..to no avail..
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have a Rift CV1 and no USB problems till I added a 3rd sensor  drove me crazy I solved the problem by adding Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion card.

Also I stopped using extension cables for USB and HDMI.
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    RattyUK said:
    Everything working fine after installation and several hours playing various games last night.
    Switch on PC this morning and Rift S is fine, a couple of hours later it is bleating about USB drivers - the very same that were fine earlier...

What is it with Oculus and USB?  The rift was very fussy but improved over time, but at least was fairly predicatable.  now their newest generation appears to be equally unpredicatable.
    Only bleating as the S wouldn't startup (black screen but sound) until a reboot then comes up with this lettle gem - frustrating, Oculus, frustrating!

ETA: Forgot to mention - there are no newer USB drivers - everything is completely up-to-date :)
    Yep, same problem for me, although everything is working. Puzzling. 
  • donnyjoedonnyjoe Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Have yet to see this, myself.
  • GamingTC2GamingTC2 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem.
  • Bull4ntBull4nt Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Mine says the same thing. It actually says if you're having tracking problems, you may need to update your USB drivers. So if tracking is working fine, I guess we just need to ignore the warning.
    My USB drivers are up to date too.

• alexcpengalexcpeng Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi, I have same problem
    My alienware 15r4 all USB port supply USB 3.1

But my rift s only can run USB 3.0
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 732
    3Jane
    alexcpeng said:
    Hi, I have same problem
    My alienware 15r4 all USB port supply USB 3.1

But my rift s only can run USB 3.0
    But are they 3.1 Gen 1 or Gen 2?
    The description 'changed' a year or so ago, so what used to be 3.0 is now 3.1 G1 and what was 3.1 is now 3.1 G2...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • vfragosvfragos Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    RattyUK said:

Yep, same problem for me, although everything is working. Puzzling. 
    Same here.
    Art3mis
    Oculus support are sending me a new cable. We`ll see.
  • JohnnyMac63JohnnyMac63 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    My error suddenly went away then resurfaced the next time I tried it ,some red warning flash,that was to quick to read popped up.and then clicking on my desktop from dash brought up the ovr service error.a little confused at this point
    Art3mis
    My error suddenly went away then resurfaced the next time I tried it ,some red warning flash,that was to quick to read popped up.and then clicking on my desktop from dash brought up the ovr service error.a little confused at this point
    The very same thing as is happening to me, and when I told Oculus they immediately despatched a new cable.  Hmmmm!!!
  • MikeKempMikeKemp Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited July 4
    Today I fired up my Rift S and it says I need to update my USB drivers. Same message as the OP. Apart from the static flash I have had no issues with my Rift S. Sure hope this isn't the start of problems. I checked and there is no USB update available.

Update: I remember back with my CV1 it was recommended to use Fresco drivers so I thought I would try to install those drivers. My Rift S shows as disconnected with those drivers. So I went back to the Microsoft drivers and my Rift S is connected again but still shows the update driver warnings. I also opted out of Beta to see if that helped but no change. I am not sure what is going on.
    3Jane
    MikeKemp said:
    Today I fired up my Rift S and it says I need to update my USB drivers. Same message as the OP. Apart from the static flash I have had no issues with my Rift S. Sure hope this isn't the start of problems. I checked and there is no USB update available.

Update: I remember back with my CV1 it was recommended to use Fresco drivers so I thought I would try to install those drivers. My Rift S shows as disconnected with those drivers. So I went back to the Microsoft drivers and my Rift S is connected again but still shows the update driver warnings. I also opted out of Beta to see if that helped but no change. I am not sure what is going on.
    It is just advisory - I guess if the version of driver isn't on their database then it issues the warning.  I couldn't get any newer than June 2019 for my drivers...

• oldroddy54oldroddy54 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    RattyUK said:

Just had exactly the same thing happen to me,was working fine this morning,now i get the same message,and identical screen.What.s going on?.
  • MalkerMalker Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same thing here. I've opened up a ticket.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,408 Valuable Player
    edited July 10
    Yep it is happening here as well. Sounds like Oculus needs to update  their driver database or something, I have all latest drivers.
    Not affecting my experience, just my slight OCD looking at the orange warning rather than the green all is well indicator.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • quantum7quantum7 Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    I also just got the "update USB" message after the last Windows 10 update.  ALL my USB drivers are up to date.  D'oh!!!! 
    3Jane
    My PC 'updated' to 1803 yesterday (was 1709) and the USB error has gone...  Also Rift S now works all of the time, no restart software needed if it is left all day!

Still static flashes...

• hashcheckhashcheck Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    i use a Asus Laptop with typeC/DP with a ALOGIC typec to male DP adaptor and get this issue. doesn't seem to effect performance however 
  • Yoda_1975Yoda_1975 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    RattyUK said:
    My PC 'updated' to 1803 yesterday (was 1709) and the USB error has gone...  Also Rift S now works all of the time, no restart software needed if it is left all day!

Still static flashes...
    Yea i think static is in laptop or Desktop you have
  • jairhomejairhome Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Yep, same problem for me too, although everything is working.  WIN10 1903 ?????
  • mr_in_the_citymr_in_the_city Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Getting it too, updated to 1903 yesterday, also have an annoying amber led showing in the headset while I am playing. It ruins the immersion.

NerveGear
    edited July 13
    Fixed mine by opting into the public beta (occ app, settings, beta, enable public test channel) which downloads all the software and updates the firmware. Also, I now have a wrist band on both hands in the home enviroment which you can interact with, well cool. I wonder if you opt back out (which others have done) and it then refreshes the software/firmware, I wonder if that's all that is needed to sort the issue. Maybe an artifact in a driver/cache/code is kicking around, therefore, the reflash sorts it.....

• LameDuckWarriorLameDuckWarrior Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I think the software instability is all over the map. I had the usb update recommendation since the 11th when I checked for windows update (1903) and two came down. One was a security update for Net Frame 4.5 and 3.5 and the other was an update for Microsoft AR and as they said "newer HMD headsets" and forgot about it. Then I updated Gforce driver to the latest and there it was...ORANGE! Took me a couple days (because I'm old) to recall what that hmd update said and uninstalled just that update. All Green and every body's happy....for now :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,408 Valuable Player
    My devices finally changed to all green after several days of showing usb warning.
    Not sure if another update pushed out to PTC or what, but they are finally green again.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    NerveGear
    edited July 13
    Mine went again, so I disabled both Rift S USB hubs in device manager, was then prompted to restart my computer.
    After the restart, opened the occ app, no device, re-enabled the USB devices, occ reported back saying it needed to restart its own software and now they are green again. Will do the same again if it goes orange
  • AzrefAzref Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Joined the Oculus PTC beta and since earlier today i'm getting the "Update USB drivers" message again. Thought I'd fixed it after installing the latest Nvidia drivers and Windows 10 1903, but now the message is back.