All Problems for Oculus Rift S (Only use this) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

All Problems for Oculus Rift S (Only use this)

auxiliaryxxauxiliaryxx Posts: 10
NerveGear
Use this discussion for all problems related to the Oculus Rift S! I have found most solutions for mine which I will be sharing on here as well.
Common Problems: Tracking, Guardian, Setup, Freezing, Snow Pixels, Jittering, Plug Problems, USB 3.0 errors, Game glitches, Camera problems, Headphone static, Some games don't run, Oculus home freezes, Steam vr wants to setup, Speakers make noise, Ipd glitching on horizonal side, fov is small, no sweetspot.

I will tell you how to improve FOV, TRACKING, SWEETSPOT AND PERFORMANCE as best as I can.

Let's get started!

Comments

• auxiliaryxxauxiliaryxx Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I'm disappointed that the headset is so buggy... To fix your tracking;
    1. Unplug Headset
    2.Reset PC
    3. Plug in USB 3.0
    4. Open Oculus Software
    5. Go to "Devices", and make sure the USB is detected
    6. Plug in DisplayPort after 60 seconds
    7. Put on Headset
    8. If remotes are tracked then take off headset FAST. because the software glitches and freezes (cuz its shit)
    9. Open steam vr
    10. ENJOY! and avoid using Oculus's shitty buggy software, stick with steam vr

TIP: Play Job Simulator to fully test your headset. It is an insanely reliable game! Play games only on steam vr and don't buy them on the Oculus store. (Racing games don't work AT ALL for me, Superhot vr only worked last night, it's broken now.)

IMPORTANT: If STEAMVR asks to setup room scale then you are having the same tracking error as me. Ignore it and follow the steps

Wish you all luck! 
    Tyler

Feel free to ask me anything or share anything! I'm looking for some rift s buddy's lol. 6139039339
    NerveGear
    Oculus Support needs to see all your errors so comment away! 
  • hl_celhl_cel Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited May 25
    Hi Tyler,

I have a bad case of static noise with the build-in speakers and headphones. It sounds louder and more scratchy than the normal static / white noise that you hear with  audio devices when you crank up the volume. But in my case the volume has no effect of the noise. And when I put the volume to 70% or more i hear a louder crack/popping with the build-in speakers when sound is playing.

When I connect my headphones (3.5mm or USB) directly with my PC I do not hear any distortion. I did not have this problem with my CV1 or any other audio devices.

The drivers are up to date. I unplugged on eveything (including the microphone) to make sure that nothing that can cause this problem is plugged in anymore.

I think the Rift S is faulty but maybe you have an idea.

Regards

Heiko
  • Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Auxiliaryxx if you love steam vr so much then get the valve index
  • Cool_MC_CoolCool_MC_Cool Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    edited May 26
    Black screen at start and tracking lost cause of sensors only showing white/black snow (passthrought) on my side.
    I tried all workarounds without a result. Drivers are more as up to date.
    On another thread there is a member with same problems on the same mainboard X370 Gaming Pro Carbon and a 1080Ti.  He changed his card to a 1060 and it works!
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,192
    Wintermute
    Fix: USB3.0 and not ASMedia 3.1
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 340
    Trinity
    edited May 26
    Verify you're using the latest version of Windows 10.  Do a Windows update.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Wintermute
    edited May 26
    It's best to postpone Win Updates to 1903 or insider 1909 as they still have no fix for the sound issues. Some got lucky but it is a lottery.
    In Win10 Pro you can select Advanced Options>Semi-Annual Channel drop down plus 365days. This can be changed back once any fix is Official.
    In Win10 Home you can set 2nd Option for Metered Connections which also loses track of the live tiles in Start Menu. It can be set back anytime.
    Come to think about it, a fresh OS of any may still require us to do USB Updates in Devices as these aren't picked up as their manufacture due to a Microsoft Default being used firstly. However, that could be the issue if then using the ASMedia Drivers.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 340
    Trinity
    edited May 26
    Even Win10 1809 is fine.  I've been on 1809 and Rift S has worked from day 1 for me.

A lot of feedback on discord, many users having issues are on outdated Win10 (like going back to 17xx builds).  Once they updated to 1809 or 1903 the tracking/setup issues were fixed.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • DoctoriDoctori Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    Even Win10 1809 is fine.  I've been on 1809 and Rift S has worked from day 1 for me.

A lot of feedback on discord, many users having issues are on outdated Win10 (like going back to 17xx builds).  Once they updated to 1809 or 1903 the tracking/setup issues were fixed.
    LOL. Yes, keeping windows 10 updated to the current release version is probably a good idea for sure. Maybe that should even be a check in the oculus setup for the rift, and tell users they need to be up to date.

• OcuBrettOcuBrett Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I had an issue when I 1st got Rift S going - when looking around the screen didn't track smoothly. It was just a little 'jittery'. I am new to Oculus, so I didn't even know it wasn't normal at 1st. Later, after a reboot, it was smooth. Everything fine for the rest of the day until I was playing something upstairs. With it still on, I moved downstairs. I was then stuck under everything. Whether in the home or games like bullet train, I was way out outside of everything. I tried to reboot a few times, and it started back up with me in the place. Finally, I went upstairs, turned it all off, and came downstairs and restarted. It worked fine then except that darn jitter was back. I tried to reboot several times. I checked everything I could think of. Nothing else was running. I set my graphics card to default to the dedicated GTX1060 for Oculus and no luck. I was going to return it the next day as I don't want sporadic issues like this. Next day and each after, all works great. Does anyone have any idea how to do some sort of reset for the issue I had after coming downstairs? Any ideas on why I got that 'jitter' initially and then after - with it magically going away the next day?
  • GERMINATOR33GERMINATOR33 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    It's best to postpone Win Updates to 1903 or insider 1909 as they still have no fix for the sound issues. Some got lucky but it is a lottery.
    In Win10 Pro you can select Advanced Options>Semi-Annual Channel drop down plus 365days. This can be changed back once any fix is Official.
    In Win10 Home you can set 2nd Option for Metered Connections which also loses track of the live tiles in Start Menu. It can be set back anytime.
    Come to think about it, a fresh OS of any may still require us to do USB Updates in Devices as these aren't picked up as their manufacture due to a Microsoft Default being used firstly. However, that could be the issue if then using the ASMedia Drivers.

See my post : https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76142/resolved-sound-problem-in-the-oculus-setup-demo-and-eve-valkyrie#latest

I found the solution to the problem of sound (Just in the Oculus Setup demo and Eve Valkyrie for me)

It is indeed necessary to put the update KB4497935 Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.145.

As she is not yet released in Europe I downloaded it here:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/133270-cumulative-update-kb4497935-windows-10-v1903-build-18362-145-may-24-a.html

And to install it I applied option 2 of this method for .cab files:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/66346-install-cab-file-windows-10-a.html

I put the file "windows10.0-kb4497935-x64_32e1aacf9c4d951e54921d566e08cd683f5db07d.cab" directly on my hard drive C and I run the command line in PowerShell in administrator mode.

Leave the file as it is, do not uncompress it with winrar.

Here is the command line to install the file directly under C

DISM / Online / Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\windows10.0-kb4497935-x64_32e1aacf9c4d951e54921d566e08cd683f5db07d.cab "

Type Enter, Restart the PC at the invitation with Yes and here is the version 18362.145 installed.

Since no more problem of sound in the oculus installation demo and in Eve Valkyrie.

It also seems to have solved the small flashes of snow that could sometimes appear in game but not the problem of headphones that never really goes off like the old CV1

sorry for my english because i'm french

I hope this will help you.

• The_K_LockerThe_K_Locker Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    When I try to setup SteamVR, I get to the step where I need to define the boundary and it doesn't work. I see my Rift S and controllers moving around on screen and it tells me to pull the trigger at the edge of the boundary to define it but nothing happens when I do it. It worked a couple of time intermittently but I've tried everything and I can't get it to work again, I had to reconnect my Vive and set it using that.
    NerveGear
    hl_cel said:
    Hi Tyler,

I have a bad case of static noise with the build-in speakers and headphones. It sounds louder and more scratchy than the normal static / white noise that you hear with  audio devices when you crank up the volume. But in my case the volume has no effect of the noise. And when I put the volume to 70% or more i hear a louder crack/popping with the build-in speakers when sound is playing.

When I connect my headphones (3.5mm or USB) directly with my PC I do not hear any distortion. I did not have this problem with my CV1 or any other audio devices.

The drivers are up to date. I unplugged on eveything (including the microphone) to make sure that nothing that can cause this problem is plugged in anymore.

I think the Rift S is faulty but maybe you have an idea.

Regards

Heiko
    Hey, sorry for the late response. The oculus team mentioned that cables too close to the Oculus' USB cable will cause interference. 
    Also, some motherboards have USB "noise", such as my own. 

Hope this helps! 
    NerveGear
    When I try to setup SteamVR, I get to the step where I need to define the boundary and it doesn't work. I see my Rift S and controllers moving around on screen and it tells me to pull the trigger at the edge of the boundary to define it but nothing happens when I do it. It worked a couple of time intermittently but I've tried everything and I can't get it to work again, I had to reconnect my Vive and set it using that.
    This is the main issue I have been dealing with. Do this as a temperary fix until Oculus helps out:

1. Close All VR Software (Oculus, STEAMVR)
    2. Replug the Oculus
    3. Start software and put on headset
    4. Start steam vr if it's all good
    5. Enjoy
    Wintermute
    edited May 26
    You might just try swapping the RIFT S USB with the Mouse USB slot. It'll be just a USB3.0 as recommended by Oculus and won't have "noise" as it doesn't send power out to hard drives and is less bandwidth. OR try another Driver like xHCI that is quoted as could have a poorer performance which is what it wants!
  • swissholtzswissholtz Posts: 1
    NerveGear

I have a strange Problem: on the first day, when the rift s arrived, It was a hard installation but the rift worked for the whole day...I was really excited :-)

I started the pc on the second day and there was just a black Screen in the rift s but the Sound worked. I began to plug in & out the device with multiply restarts of the system. Sadly it wasn't working again. I tried different DP and USB slots with no success. I have all the new updates on the drivers and Windows...

The worst part of the story is, that the rift worked on the first day...

NerveGear

I have a strange Problem: on the first day, when the rift s arrived, It was a hard installation but the rift worked for the whole day...I was really excited :-)

I started the pc on the second day and there was just a black Screen in the rift s but the Sound worked. I began to plug in & out the device with multiply restarts of the system. Sadly it wasn't working again. I tried different DP and USB slots with no success. I have all the new updates on the drivers and Windows...

Most likely, Oculus' software isn't functioning properly.

1. Restart the software (Settings>Beta>Restart Oculus)
    2. Quickly unplug and replug the Headset
    3. Wait 5 minutes (don't put on headset yet)
    4. Open SteamVr (optional but helpful) 
    5. Put on headset. 

Note: If you do not see anything talk to Oculus. If you see a loading symbol you will want to restart your Pc and try again. 
  • knutsiknutsi Posts: 140
    Art3mis

Hi @swissholtz. If you now try to setup the device again, does it give you a "Sensors can't track headset" error? My story is a little like yours, but my headset only worked for a few minutes. If you haven't already, do the log dump and open a ticket with Oculus perhaps? (: It's important enough of us do this that they see the issue. If you look in the log ZIP, do you have any particular errors that stick out? My camera fails to start ,while another persons was complaining about lack of resources. 
    Wintermute
    edited May 27
    It can work 1st time but once the head sensor sleeps it struggles to awake so there's your black screen. The suggested solutions are posted above. BTW whenever plugging in RIFT S USB, wait just 5-10secs (not 5mins) then plugin DP.
    USB must be 3.0 so it is either your Mouse/keyb OR front USB OR add a USB3.0 PCIe Card NOT 3.1 as it may add noise interference.

If you already Updated to WIN10 1903 then it is a lottery if it works and if not needs the above HOTFIX cab installed.

If on 1809 In Win10 Pro you can select Advanced Options>Semi-Annual Channel drop down plus 365days. This can be changed back once any fix is Official.
    Come to think about it, a fresh OS of any may still require us to do USB Updates in Devices as these aren't picked up as their manufacture due to a Microsoft Default being used firstly. However, that could be the issue if then using the ASMedia Drivers. So is why a fresh OS works but not manually updating USB in Drivers to any ASMedia.

OR you may just update the USB 3.1 HUB Driver to xHCI which is less performance by a Manual Selection.
  • Cool_MC_CoolCool_MC_Cool Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    NEW driver from nvidia for official support - would be better before launch xD
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,054
    Wintermute
    NEW driver from nvidia for official support - would be better before launch xD
    I just updated to this (430.86) and it did not fix or improve any of my Rift S issues like controller lag and screen flashing.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • zorexzorex Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    I have a problem with one touch controller of the rift s... The vibration of the right controller i can barely feel it, is not working properly... I have to get a replacement of the controllers and the headsed too? The headset is working fine...
  • bgast7852bgast7852 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    10. ENJOY! and avoid using Oculus's shitty buggy software, stick with steam vr
    I have had nothing but trouble with my oculus rift s. I am about ready to return it for a refund. I bought it through Amazon. What is so special about Steam VR? The thing is I have bought all of my games through Oculus and really hate rebuying on Steam. The game that I am playing the most is Defense Grid 2 but I can't get it to display correctly at all. I get these black edges (I'm guessing these are tracking issues) both seated and standing. I am not a good gamer at all and even navigating the rift is a challenge for me, but I love the VR.  Is there a solution besides buying the games all over again in Steam?

Wintermute
    SteamVR is installed to 2nd Drive? Mine is and so too is Oculus Home to avoid the past Windows Permission issues forced on us via Win Updates. They constantly break connectivity for odd things eventually due to using the OS Folder C:\Program Files.
  • PorcochinoPorcochino Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Had tons of troubbles with my oculus rift s. The first day all worked well. Then in second day the headset didnt worked cause of blackscreen bug. Fixed it by using beta updates and played a little bit. Today, third day, i plug in my Display Port, it connects and two seconds after loses connection and says that is unplugged. Camera dont show up on Device Administrator. What can i do? 
  • TumyueTumyue Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    My controllers dance around me, i has try to reinstall windows from 0 and format the ssd where i have games and nothing the issue continue, it gone good 1 min then start to dancing around me.
  • jermziijermzii Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 2
    Mine worked perfect upon first connection. I Had to allow camera permission. I did the intro and even played Blade and Sorcery and The Lab. Now it says my USB 3.0 is not compatible. And will no longer connect.
  • EthrelaedEthrelaed Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    And here a old issue from a newcomer with a new product: Do not, and i repeat in caps: DO NOT EVER DARE TO USE THE RIFT S WITH GLASSES! Do not listen to people that are saying glasses and rift s are fine. Scratches in my Rift S and my glasses tell another story. And you will only find out about the issue as a newcomer when it is to late BECAUSE THERE IS NOWHERE A CLEAR WARNING.
  • FeralReaperFeralReaper Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    SO here's my path and the reason I'm getting a refund. 

I run "fix software" it rips 7gb of data from my internet.

I run it, works like a charm. Then I reboot, error comes up that the oculus software can't open. I repair it again. It works but the tracking doesn't. Then it forces an update to the firmware again and now it can't see my cables.

So at this point, I KNOW its the firmware but I can't do anything about it because every time I "repair" oculus, it uninstalls the firmware lmao. Then it sees my cable then it forces firmware update then it can't see my cables.