Quest won't stay turned off — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest won't stay turned off

RHunterrRHunterr Posts: 52
Hiro Protagonist
So I'm having intermittent charging issues like alot of other people.  Mine seems to charge better when it is turned off... however there's a switch in the Settings to "Turn on when detecting activity", so I switched that off. Then I just turn the headset off (via the "Power down" option on-screen) when I'm done and plug it in.

The problem is that the headset doesn't usually STAY turned off. I'll go look at it a bit later after turning it off and plugging it in and I"ll see that the front "on" indicator light is light up and the headset is on. (sometimes it's in passthrough mode, some times it's giving me a message about tracking, etc.)

So what do I have to do to get this thing to stay powered down when I power it down?

Comments

• haloharry97haloharry97 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Am having the same problem.

my 1st headset has controller problems so i got a full replacement, but that did not turn on when it was turned off.
    this is my 2nd headset and it is turning itself on when i leave it off to charge. So idk if my 1st headset had other problems that kept it turned off or if this 2nd headset has a problem?
  • MaxinfiniteMaxinfinite Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have two quests one for my girlfriend and one for me. Hers powers on by itself while charging, mine stays off  Very weird issue
  • jonamokjonamok Posts: 1
    NerveGear

For the first few charging cycles my Quest would basically come on randomly while powered off and charging (getting warm and vastly reducing the charging rate) and I had to keep hard-powering it off. Also happened when it hit full charge. This is with the autowake deactivated.

On the last cycle it behaved itself and stayed powered off through the full recharge to green-light, and when I pulled the USB-C out.

Seems random and clearly not an isolated case. Combine it with the >43C charging issue and it’s clear the power management of the Quest needed a little more thought.

• haloharry97haloharry97 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    jonamok said:

Seems random and clearly not an isolated case. Combine it with the >43C charging issue and it’s clear the power management of the Quest needed a little more thought.

what Do you mean by >43C charging issue?
  • RHunterrRHunterr Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    jonamok said:

what Do you mean by >43C charging issue?
    When the Quest gets over a certain temp it won't accept a charge. Once it cools off below that temp it'll accept a charge again.
  • Leech205Leech205 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here. After a few minutes of sitting on the charger, it powers on. Recently I just tapped the power button and it hasn't come back on yet. We will see....
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,785 Valuable Player

Just checked mine. The 'Turn on when detecting activity' only wakes my headset up when it's in standby, it doesn't switch it on after it's been powered off.

I haven't had it switch on by itself when charging (while it's powered off) and it doesn't seem to get hot, at least not to the point that it doesn't take a charge.

It also hasn't woken-up when in standby mode during charging that I'm aware of but I haven't left it in this stake for extended periods... I've always powered off.

So if yours is behaving differently from this, something maybe isn't quite right.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • BillyDee4BillyDee4 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I too had the problem of my Quest turning itself on after I turned it off. This behavior meant that re-charging it took 5 or more hours. On one occasion I got a full re-charge on it, after many hours, and put it away for the night. The next morning the battery had bend drained down to about 7%. This had been happening since 5/21. I stumbled across how to do a reset, two days ago, and doing a reset seems to have fixed the problem. If you' have this problem, try doing a reset. Put on your HMD and hold down the negative volume button simultaneously with the power button for a few seconds. A menu appears that allows you to restart or restore your HMD. I chose the option to stop and restart my HMD. I have not had a problem with my HMD waking up on its own since doing this.

Som other folks with this problem have reported that the problem cleared itself after their HMD's had gone through several re-charging cycles. I don't know if restarting my HMD or the fact that I forced it through several charging cycles by monitoring if it turned itself on and turning it off when it did turn on fixed the issue. My HMD is now re-charging as expected so I'm a happy camper. If you're having this problem, I hope you get it sorted out without having to return yours.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've done the "stop and restart" headset thing twice now (power button and down-volume button). If we're talking about the same function, that's not a "reset" of the headset. A "factory reset" restores it to the condition it was in direct from the factory (You'd have to reinstall all your software you've downloaded, I believe).
    Either way, the "stop and restart" option hasn't helped my issue.

What I *have* found so far (tested it the last two overnights, so far) is that I select the "power off" option, plug the headset in, put the microfiber towel I have over the lenses, and set it down. I almost immediately get the "charging" light indicator. However, within several minutes (I haven't timed it yet) the indicator light begins to blink between the amber "charging" color and another color (green, I think). That signifies that the headset has powered itself back on (despite me having that option turned off in Settings).
    What's been working so far the past two nights is I then go and tap the power button one time and the headset shuts itself back off and continues charging (If I don't do this button-tap when I see the blinking indicator light, then an overnight on the charger only gets the headset up to about 80% charge or so... from 30%...) to 100%.
  • justafjustaf Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem and the battery just kept draining even in rest mode, so after hours of leaving it plugged in I got drained battery. At least I found a way to charge while it's on; press down the power button, when the window asking me if I will power off pops up, just tap the power button once to put it to rest. This way, battery does charge slowly opposed to when it's resting while in guardian setup. Could those of you who have the same problem try this and tell me if it works?
  • WolfoxWolfox Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    I have same Issue and I hate it!!
    LINK TO MY TOPIC
  • denodandenodan Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    You can turn it right off. Have to hold down the start button for several secs and a menu will come up. With turn off listed. This turns off the headset completely
    Hiro Protagonist
    That's the point though;  it turns itself back on while charging
    Brain Burst
    Mine does not as I have it completely turned off.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I turn mine completely off too. Every time (literally, every time) it turns itself back on within minutes of plugging the charging cable in.
  • darthmiikedarthmiike Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited July 6
    the reason I see for the quest turning on is if you have a screen protector in whilst charging the quest it turns itself on, if you take out the cardboard protector it doesn't turn on whilst charging. anything that triggers the sensor that is supposed to recognise when you put the head set on inside  the quest will make it instantly turn on even from a complete power down state, this seems to only happen when charging.

basically oculus needs to disable the sensor inside the headset when in full power down mode to stop this , it seems a simple fix that a firmware update could address 

this is with the "Turn on when detecting activity" set to off , which doesn't seem to work 
  • bigstatikbigstatik Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Had mine 100% fully charged. Unplugged it, left it on table. Went to use it the next day 22% batt.  Was fully off and, no screen protector and touch it and explodes mode is turned off. 
    Brain Burst
    RHunterr said:
    Mine does not. Stays off till I press the on button. There also is a mode you can turn off in options that will disable the auto wake feature. If it comes back on during charging then its not off. You have to hold down for a few secs then get the menu and must use turn off by selecting it with the controller. Why you guys are having issues beats me?

The only way mine turns back on is I have to physical turn it on by the on off button.

• enigma01enigma01 Posts: 162
    Art3mis
    edited July 6
    darthmiike said:
    anything that triggers the sensor that is supposed to recognise when you put the head set on inside  the quest will make it instantly turn on even from a complete power down state, this seems to only happen when charging.
    I use a 3D printed lens protector all the time and keep it in place during charging, and mine doesn’t power on itself after being completely shutdown. It charges fine and doesn’t power on until a physically turn it back on myself. 

Why this is apparently happening on some people’s Quests and not others I don’t know, but certainly doesn’t happen on mine. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    denodan said:
    RHunterr said:
    Mine does not. Stays off till I press the on button. There also is a mode you can turn off in options that will disable the auto wake feature. If it comes back on during charging then its not off. You have to hold down for a few secs then get the menu and must use turn off by selecting it with the controller. Why you guys are having issues beats me?

The only way mine turns back on is I have to physical turn it on by the on off button.

As I've said before.... mine is 100% completely powered off. Hold down the button while wearing the headset, select "power down" with the controller. The headset makes the "powering off" noise and is off. It's off.
    If I plug in the charger *and* cover the lenses it turns back on about 2-3 minutes later.
    If I only plug in the charger it stays turned off until I turn it back on.
    If I only cover the lenses but don't plug in the charger, it stays turned off until I turn it back on.
    Heck, if I leave the lenses uncovered *and* don't plug in the charger, it stays turn off (and very slowly drains the battery)
    And, the auto-wake feature is off.. and has been turned off since I found that setting on Day One of owning it.
  • Mazda_RonMazda_Ron Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited July 7
    THIS IS NOT USER ERROR!

Please see my reddit thread with video included and the link to the user voice below:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/c1bjd5/quest_turning_on_while_charging_please_can_you/

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest/suggestions/37741447-charging-while-shutdown-keeps-turning-on-quest

I've noticed tonight that if a volume button is held while in shutdown and a charger connected, its emulating the power button being depressed.

Seriously starting to think this is a hardware fault now, I've waited over 3 firmware updates and still no fix and no word from oculus apart from 'this will be updated in the future' 

some people are starting to notice screen issues where they've been caught off guard and it's been sat for hours or overnight in guardian state with no movement.

Brain Burst
    The reason they turn on when charging, etc is you got to go to options and try turning off the option to detect activity and turn on. This can get turned on or off.
    Art3mis
    @Mazda_Ron
    Just watched your YouTube video...On my Quest shorty after commencing charge there is a few seconds where the status light turns white and then to amber. I’m just surmising whether if the headset is moved when the light is white it may power back on (it’s looks like you may have done this in your video?)

I would try replicating this but I’m currently away without my Quest. 

If your Quest is not staying off, it may be worth mentioning what build date your Quest is? Mine says 04/2019 on the box and as I mentioned previously don’t have the issue. Just wondering if perhaps it’s only Quests with a certain build date this is effecting? 
  • Mazda_RonMazda_Ron Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    @denodan it's nothing to do with the autowake, that option simply illuminates the screen when you pop it on your head while it's turned on.

As mentioned throughout, even with this turned off it does not fix the issue.

@enigma01 I've troubleshooted everything, including keeping the headset dead still and flicking the power on by the wall, it's the same result as the video no matter what combo of settings, chargers, cables, screen protector in/out, faceplate off, charge level ect, absolutely everything including factory resets too many times to count after each update, it's just not fixable until oculus pull their finger out 

Also, for the sake of the video autowake was on and lens cover off so I could easily show it one handed, if I turned autowake off, it would still be booted up but you wouldn't know it unless you pushed the button again, after the screen timeout has kicked in (god help you if you've selected the max time for that) worst case scenario for this fault is leaving the lens cover in, with either autowake on or off as when it boots it goes into gaurdian state for potentially hours at a time unattended or even packed away in a case risking burn in or other overheating issues, let alone a dead battery next time you want to use it.

In my video it came back alive within seconds, as mentioned in the video this can be minutes or hours after putting the charge cable in, it's a complete mess.

My headset is a preorder but 3 day delay, can edit this post when I dig the box out later.
    Art3mis
    edited July 8
    @Mazda_Ron
    Mine was also a pre-order, but delivered a day later on the 22nd May. From other discussions in this forum it appears some early pre order headsets were built 03/2019 and others 04/2019. It looks like from other discussions that the earlier build models may have had the charging issues as described (which mine hasn’t had either)  
    Hiro Protagonist
    denodan said:
    The reason they turn on when charging, etc is you got to go to options and try turning off the option to detect activity and turn on. This can get turned on or off.

Again, no it's not. Even with that setting switched to "off", the headsets still can turn on (and do so, in many cases)
  • MrCr0aMrCr0a Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Mine did not wake up before 6810 firmware revision. Before that everything was ok.
    Brain Burst
    Never had this issue. As a matter of fact when charging have to hold down the start button for maybe 6 secs before it turns on else all I see is the battery icon with ammount of charge.

The only way to tirn it fully off is hold the start button with headset on and a menu comes on with 3 options listed. Much select power off with controller.
  • grayhazegrayhaze Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue. The Quest powers itself back on after exactly 2 minutes 30 seconds of charging, despite repeatedly powering it down each time. The charger doesn't seem to supply enough power while it's on to charge the battery, so the device just dies if I leave it plugged in unattended. The only way I've found to get it to charge is to use a higher rated Samsung phone charger, but it still turns itself back on regardless of the charger I used. The phone charger does provide slightly more power than it uses while it's turned on though, so it slowly charges the battery. Interestingly, using the higher rated charger it turns itself on after approximately 1 minute 40 seconds, which is shorter than the bundled charger. I suspect it's turning itself on when the internal battery percentage increases by 1% or similar, but it's hard to verify that.

And @denodan, we get the message. Your Quest doesn't have the problem.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    Mine stays off as well. Yes, the battery meter displays when you connect the charger, but it doesn't turn on, and it's not in standby...wasting battery when it's put away in my drawer. At least that's 'my' experience with 'my' Quest.