New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest Tracking Problems

NorYouDoNorYouDo Posts: 3
NerveGear
I've been loving the quest and I've been playing a lot of Beat Saber.

Since yesterday, the tracking has started breaking. While playing beat saber (not tested with other games), sometimes I'll miss hitting a block I know I should have hit. It usually occurs when swinging towards the sides. I've noticed in my peripheral vision that the controller will maybe lag behind my movement or seems to disappear.

Sometimes a controller will revert to 3DOF like the oculus go controller. Sometimes it won't even be at my side but appear to be lower down on the floor. There's times where the controller will, on top of reverting to 3DOF, aim the wrong way. I can move the controller still and it will react, but it thinks the default forward is a completely different direction. Another thing is that a controller will simply disappear.

When any of these things happen, there's a chance it will start working correctly again after a few seconds but mostly I have to completely reset the headset.

I thought this was happening because I was playing quite aggressively on expert mode with extra song speed, but since it started, it sometimes does it just randomly. This is ruining the game for me as even when it's working, I'm always anxious that it's about to happen and ruin my streak (which it does a lot).

Has anybody else experienced this or could it be that I have a faulty quest?

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    Yea that about sums up inside out tracking lol. I've never had to restart the headset though, bringing mine back to camera and moving it around it will usually return. 

A tip for beat saber, make sure you set your height in player height settings. If you keep the controllers too low the camera will have problems seeing them. 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,817 Valuable Player
    edited May 26
    Nothing like that.  Yes i've lost tracking for less than a second while playing Beat Sabre but it usually comes back in time so as not to lose any points.

I hate losing tracking though.  Even when i'm just standing still, waiting for something, with my hands by my side - of course, i lose tracking of the hands so when i look, or move i might see them for a millisecond in the wrong place and then they pop back.  Unfortunately, the very name "virtual reality" is completely trashed - you are dragged out kicking and screaming from any feelings of immersion and presence.

I'm feeling a little sad right now    :(
  • NorYouDoNorYouDo Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I've tried changing the frequency of the controllers which seems to have maybe helped a little but can't be sure. I wouldn't even mind if they released an optional sensor that you can just set up in the room your playing in to help with tracking. Obviously it goes against the objective of it being such a simple device but would be nice for when you want to play highly intensive games and want the best results.
  • jagotajagota Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I’m having the same problem on various VR games at one point replacing the battery helped but now it’s all the time. The touch controller position seems random after a while - movement is ok if you can find it! but not in sync!!!!

As this is happening to all games - it’s either a bug, or the technology is simply not up to it.

We expect this to work!
    Now it worked last night, this morning it doesn’t!

Do we have to sync the controllers every time? if so in clear instructions how?

Dont say back button and oculus button as that’s ambiguous show us!

Weve invested in this technology and we deserve some support!

I have stopped using the quest because of this and may return it today. 
  • JernauMoratGurgehJernauMoratGurgeh Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited May 27
    I have such problems too and am wondering if a high contrast carpet as Oculus used when demonstrating the Quest might help. If only they weren't so ugly. I wonder if a carpet with a chessboard pattern might help too.

And then glas (windows and doors) … maybe get some blinds?
  • VCRRepairmanVCRRepairman Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I'm also having similar issues.  My Quest loses tracking a lot in my game room and will kick me back to home stating that I should take it off and back on again or restart the headset (can't remember the exact wording).  It works great with my Rift S - so I'm not sure what is going on.
  • EurobuffEurobuff Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    NorYouDo said:
    I've been loving the quest and I've been playing a lot of Beat Saber.

Since yesterday, the tracking has started breaking. While playing beat saber (not tested with other games), sometimes I'll miss hitting a block I know I should have hit. It usually occurs when swinging towards the sides. I've noticed in my peripheral vision that the controller will maybe lag behind my movement or seems to disappear.

Sometimes a controller will revert to 3DOF like the oculus go controller. Sometimes it won't even be at my side but appear to be lower down on the floor. There's times where the controller will, on top of reverting to 3DOF, aim the wrong way. I can move the controller still and it will react, but it thinks the default forward is a completely different direction. Another thing is that a controller will simply disappear.

When any of these things happen, there's a chance it will start working correctly again after a few seconds but mostly I have to completely reset the headset.

I thought this was happening because I was playing quite aggressively on expert mode with extra song speed, but since it started, it sometimes does it just randomly. This is ruining the game for me as even when it's working, I'm always anxious that it's about to happen and ruin my streak (which it does a lot).

Has anybody else experienced this or could it be that I have a faulty quest?
    I am having the same issue. I haven’t got Beat Saber, but it’s doing it with other apps. Even playing the tutorial oculus touch app (with the robot in space) I noticed my left hand disappeared, then I saw it on the floor upside down. It’s doing it with other apps too though. Another time the controller had disappeared and then turned and saw “my left hand” was behind me over my left shoulder. Mostly seems to be the left one (I’m right handed). Battery levels are 80% for the controllers and the quest headset can be anything from fully charged to 23% and it does it regardless. The WiFi on the quest keeps dropping, don’t know if that is affecting the controllers. My WiFi on everything else is fine
  • cybershrapnelcybershrapnel Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    rift s launch is fail! we should all get vouchers for free units!
  • russell.dullrussell.dull Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just bought mine and the tracking worked great for the first two days. Then my wife vacuumed the carpet....  Suddenly my tracking went to hell on my controllers, and it was really bad. Well that wasn't really the problem, but it was one of the variables I considered. After rebooting and changing the batteries, checking the cameras to ensure they were smudge free(all to no avail) I figured it out. I was dressed in all black. Head to toe black. After changing into some shorts and a white T-shirt, my problem went away. 
  • ezop73ezop73 Posts: 70
    Hiro Protagonist
    I had a similar issue with the tracking but only after updating to version 9, when ever i turned around in VR and looked in the direction of the window it would kick me back to the guardian setup and then when i tried to draw a new guardian (when i turned and faced the window) the screen would go black and kick me back to the start of create a new guardian. I found a temp fix for that was to close the blinds.

I have found a permanent fix for my particular issue and that was to do a factory reset. 

backup all your games/app and saves via Sidequest to pc
    factory reset via mobile app
    re-enable developer mode in mobile settings
    restart quest
    restore backups via Sidequest from pc
    restart quest

Problem solved for me, i'm just hoping that it update 10 doesn't break it again 
  • erasmushurterasmushurt Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    This seems to be a hardware issue to me. I've already had two controllers go bad and need to be replaced since the quest launch. Once it starts happening it seems to steadily get worse until it gets to the point that your controller can rotate but tracking gets stuck or fails to move. 
  • ezop73ezop73 Posts: 70
    Hiro Protagonist
    contact support, you might have a faulty camera, see if you can get a replacement
  • erasmushurterasmushurt Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    edited October 19
    In my case I did contact support the first time it happened and it was determined the controller was faulty. They offered me a replacement controller if I sent my original back in after a couple weeks of tickets. However due to me living in Thailand I and shipping costs being more than the controller I just bought a new one. Second time since it was the other hand I just assumed maybe I got a bad batch. But with the replacement for the right controller already going bad and seeing how many other similar threads there are here I'm beginning to think the touch controllers are just garbage.

UPDATE: They asked me to return my headset for a replacement. Believe it may be an issue with the headset itself and not the controllers.
  • MAVERICKSHEBA1MAVERICKSHEBA1 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    my quests wifi keeps going off, and my controllers go a wire on me most of the time it`s the left controller.