Right speaker distortion/buzzing on Quest — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right speaker distortion/buzzing on Quest

goodbyegalaxygoodbyegalaxy Posts: 1
NerveGear
Didn't see anything else about this yet. Using the built in speakers, after a few minutes of playing the sound out of the right speaker becomes distorted and has a loud buzzing noise. If I reset the unit it goes away but eventually comes back. Is this a hardware defect that I should return the Quest over?
Tagged:

Comments

• justintime4thisjustintime4this Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am having the same issue. Also the lenses in my headset show more streaks/god rays than my friends quest when comparing them back to back. I tried cleaning them, but it didn’t help.
  • 3putthater3putthater Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I also have intermittent buzzing right ear. Reset disappears. Hardware or software?
  • PagliozPaglioz Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Same problem once.
    just knocked on the speaker and it stopped 
  • adamriftsadamrifts Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Didn't see anything else about this yet. Using the built in speakers, after a few minutes of playing the sound out of the right speaker becomes distorted and has a loud buzzing noise. If I reset the unit it goes away but eventually comes back. Is this a hardware defect that I should return the Quest over?
    Lots of people are having audio issues. It’s most likely software issue. They probably have to change the audio driver. If there’s was a hardware issue like a blown speaker a reset would not stop it.
  • ndr27ndr27 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same problem

• adamriftsadamrifts Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Just wanted to add oculus is aware of this issue and is working on a fix.
  • kftofkftof Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same
  • bjablonka8120bjablonka8120 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    >Me too
  • MonkeyDom90MonkeyDom90 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have been using mine for 16 days now and this problem just came up for me, using beat saber- pretty annoying hope they find a fix sooner
  • JaimieVandenberghJaimieVandenbergh Posts: 246
    Nexus 6
    Same here - first buzz last night, and thanks to this thread I just rebooted it and all good again.
  • nyoshicnyoshic Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here! Just got exactly the issue this afternoon... a reboot seems to fix it... but for how long?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,111 Valuable Player
    Only happened to me once, and a reboot fixed it. This is a software problem and I think Oculus will have this remedied very soon.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • VhenzorVhenzor Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    My oculus quest speakers make buzzing/static sounds, like a loose headset cable. The static sound stay for about 0,5 sec and comes back every now and then. Some time i have no problem for a complete charge and some time i can't even enjoy playing 1 song of beat saber without 5 or more disturbances. The static sound can also be heard in the main menu / library. 

My quest is 3 weeks new, and this problem is there since day one.
  • caieucaieu Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Also have this problem. After playing beat saber demo.
  • GrailerGrailer Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I get this also, always right ear.
  • RyusLightworksRyusLightworks Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Had this happening too but found a sort of solution (at least it hasn't happened again).
    There is a setting to improve tracking. You set it either to auto or the frequency of the mains power in your country. I set it manually to 60Hz like it is here. Then I reduced volume by 2 bars. Never happened again so far.

Not sure if both are needed or one or the other did the trick. Was trying to resolve this and the tracking issue. Both have improved since then. Altho I still get tracking issues from time to time. Strangely enough this seems to have some connection to the sound playing. In Beat Saber some songs never get tracking issues while others have them more or less at the same stages. Maybe sound driver is messing with tracking when certain frequencies are played or something? Should try if tracking issues disappear for those songs when using earphones. Will try that next.
  • Kolham_Kolham_ Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem here, also right ear.
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 163
    Art3mis
    It happens to me on occasion mostly in home, goes away in game or after a few moments. 
  • bigstatikbigstatik Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Same issue for me, a reboot makes it go away. Headphones eliminates it. 
  • Greekspartan121Greekspartan121 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem with my oculus quest.The right speaker sounds like it's blown,once you reset it's goes back to normal sound,then a few seconds later,it starts distorting again.Very annoying and spoils the fun big time.
    Thinking of returning it for a replacement.
    Has anyone noticed a green pixel dot on the loading screen before the oculus O appears.Been there since I bought it,like a dead pixel,Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.Thanks.
    £500 and we all have speaker and lens issues,some are better than others,how can that be.poor workmanship and not enough attention paid to quality, disappointing.
  • kenwardngkenwardng Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Anybody have a fix? I just got mine today and same issue

• kkusunekkusune Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Me too!
  • The_HeafThe_Heaf Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here, right ear
  • EurobuffEurobuff Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I had the same issue. Contacted support and was told I needed to update to the latest firmware. I was running 256550.6170.5, needed to update to 6180 version. I left the headset on, connected to WiFi and charging for 5 hours, after which time the update had been carried out. I used  the quest right down to 13% battery and had no sound issues. I’ve charged it up last night and I’m going to try again to make sure it’s still ok. But first use after update seemed fine.
  • U4RICU4RIC Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi all, you guys say reboot, do you mean restarting the quest or reset to factory?
  • SirMarshallSirMarshall Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    U4RIC said:
    Hi all, you guys say reboot, do you mean restarting the quest or reset to factory?
    Reboot... or turn off the Quest. 
    It's happens to me two times in this months. 

• EurobuffEurobuff Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited July 11
    Eurobuff said:
    I had the same issue. Contacted support and was told I needed to update to the latest firmware. I was running 256550.6170.5, needed to update to 6180 version. I left the headset on, connected to WiFi and charging for 5 hours, after which time the update had been carried out. I used  the quest right down to 13% battery and had no sound issues. I’ve charged it up last night and I’m going to try again to make sure it’s still ok. But first use after update seemed fine.
    A further update. Used quest after charging and did notice static noises. Not as loud as before and this time it seemed as if it’s coming from the back of my head, not my right side. It’s noticeable on games & apps and playing movie files on skybox or oculus gallery. Restart doesn’t help.
  • MeyersncMeyersnc Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have been having this sort of problem too. What ultimately fixed the problem is using headphones. Ever since I started using headphones the problem vanished.