Quest runs hot - and wont charge while playing. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest runs hot - and wont charge while playing.

m00fm00f Posts: 3
NerveGear
edited May 26 in Oculus Quest
Last night I was playing VRchat with a friendly group of guys, we were playing cards against humanity, after an hour went by or so all of the guys started plugging their headsets in to continue playing. I didn't plug my headset in right away because I still had 50% battery left.

So about a half an hour later I decided to plug my headset in, and that's when I noticed, my headset continued to lose charge.

I asked the other guys how their batteries were, they said once they plugged it in their percentage continued to rise - while mine continued to fall.

I also could not add friends, I could send and receive requests, but even if I accepted them, they didnt appear on my friends list - that being said, once my Quest died, I lost my new friends, too. :(

TLDR; My Quest wont charge while I'm in game, the charging light is on but my battery keeps draining. YES, the charging works when my Quest is off, but it doesnt work when it's on.

Comments

• PickleschlitzPickleschlitz Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    The Quest does a heavy charge when it runs out of juice and a lighter charge at the top of a charge. If it's running hot, it's best to plug into the battery when you start out with a full battery than to plug in when you are almost out of juice.
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 552
    Trinity
    How many AMPS does your battery put out?  Many batteries only put out 2.1A, which isn't enough for the Quest.
  • m00fm00f Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    goldenegg said:
    How many AMPS does your battery put out?  Many batteries only put out 2.1A, which isn't enough for the Quest.
    How do I find out how many amps my Quest puts out?
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 476
    Trinity
    edited September 8
    The official Oculus wall wart is 5 volts @ 3 amps. So charging with anything less than 3 amps would be charging at a slower rate than the official charger. I know my Anker 20100 PowerCore's only 2.4 amps, and it's fine for my Go, but it doesn't charge fast enough to use the Quest while charging. While the official 3 meter USB-C cable that came with the Quest, connected to an Anker PowerCore 10000 PD...5 volts @ 3 amps USB-C port, it charges faster than the Quest draws while using it. Even a 2 meter CableCreations cable with the 10000 PD charges faster than the Quest's power draw. I have a small Roots Sport pouch with a belt loop, strapped to the back of my belt, with the cable running up my back. For the most part it's fine...but I wanted to get rid of the cable down my back altogether, so I decided to mount the pouch to the back of my DAS headstrap, then use a smaller cable. I bought 2x 8" 90 degree USB-C adapters...male 1 end, female the other end...connecting 1 of them to the Quest's power jack, and the other to the Anker. I then bought a 6" Amazon Basics 3 amps charging cable to connect between the 2 cables, for a total of 22" of cables. For whatever reason, it won't charge the Quest fast enough now while using the Quest. The 90 degree adapters don't actually say 3 amps, but they're as thick as the original cable, and they work with my Raspberry Pi 4, which requires a true 3 amp supply, or it gives a low voltage warning. Even the 6" Amazon Basics cable works with the Pi. So...it's not the adapters. At the same time though, the Quest just updated to 8.0 the same week I bought my cables, so maybe it's a firmware issue on my end. I've read some have fixed their issues by doing a factory reset...I seriously hope it doesn't come down to that.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0194X4MSO
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B018I23MW4
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LONPUM4
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 476
    Trinity
    edited September 8
    I spoke too soon. I usually boot the Quest first, then connect the battery, because when trying to boot the Quest when the battery's connected, only shows the battery level screen, but doesn't actually turn the Quest on, even after holding the button in for 5 seconds or so. So, I usually keep the battery disconnected, then push the power button in, holding until I see it flicker slightly. I then attach the battery, and the power level stays at or near 100%, with only the controller batteries diminishing. But after 8.0, the power light doesn't flicker anymore, so I may have been connecting the battery too early. I just tried now, waiting until I had the boundary set up screen, then I connected the battery. It stayed at 100%. I even rebooted after updating a few apps, leaving the battery connected. It still stayed at 100% while watching youtube. So either I had the wrong combination of steps, or something got fixed in the background.