White Static Flashes in Rift S — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

White Static Flashes in Rift S

Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 786
    3Jane
    I've seen this in mine as well. It's not bothersome, but worrying.
  • OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 274 Oculus Staff
    Hey @misfitpunish3r, I'm sorry to hear you're having experiencing static on your Rift S. If you're noticing static on the headset, please try disconnecting your Rift S, wait 10 seconds, connect your USB, wait another 10 seconds then connect your DisplayPort connection. It's important to allow the USB connection to fully establish before connecting the DP port. Also, please try reseating the cable on the headset side. You'll need to remove the facial interface first to access it. Please contact support at https://support.oculus.com if you're still having issues. Thanks! -Rick
  • DeliriumBladesDeliriumBlades Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Hey @misfitpunish3r, I'm sorry to hear you're having experiencing static on your Rift S. If you're noticing static on the headset, please try disconnecting your Rift S, wait 10 seconds, connect your USB, wait another 10 seconds then connect your DisplayPort connection. It's important to allow the USB connection to fully establish before connecting the DP port. Also, please try reseating the cable on the headset side. You'll need to remove the facial interface first to access it. Please contact support at https://support.oculus.com if you're still having issues. Thanks! -Rick
    No way...this can't be the solution anymore. I've done this and it doesn't stop the problem. It's a waste of time to even do it. I've tried every display port I have and every USB 3.0 connection on my motherboard and a separate VR compatible USB card(Startech). I had to enroll in the slow ring windows update to fix the audio problem and have yet to find a fix for the brief white static. Sure it's like a blip and doesnt really hurt gameplay. But it shouldn't be there and it shouldn't happen. please tell me this is being looked into and you're not chalking it up to user/PC error.
  • cybershrapnelcybershrapnel Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Oculus Rick Sux!!!!!
  • SLM101SLM101 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Same problem here. Rift S that has been used for around 3 hours. Seen the 'static white flash' around 5 times already. Makes me worry a little considering it's expensive kit (at least it is on my budget).

I have posted this in other threads but trying to move all the threads to the top so Oculus take notice and hopefully fix it.
  • antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Hiro Protagonist
     same problem here i return this garbage
  • bravo76101bravo76101 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited May 28
    Same Issue, there is no timing or rhyme or reason when this flash will occur. Tried different UBS ports,
    Using ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-O8G-GAMING 2080, windows 10 pro.

AUDIO: also have the cracking sound,  this has been isolated to low frequency (bass), When using the aux jack on the VR, the headphones do not have the cracking sound anymore

In addition when playing LONE ECHO, Superhot VR, the Game will crash, sometimes it will last 20 minutes sometimes it will last 40 minutes.

LONE ECHO, set graphics : everything to low, and anything to do with performance was disabled, there was no change.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,339 Valuable Player
    edited May 28
     same problem here i return this garbage
    I could not help but notice, you have posted in every different issue thread that you have the same problem and you have returned the garbage.

Just an observation...

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    NerveGear
    We have not returned the Rift S.
    NerveGear
    Update: Just updated the Driver on the ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-O8G-GAMING 2080 to DRIVER: 430.86, Static Flash has not happened for the last two hours, still testing,

LONE ECHO did close twice, no bug report pop up to report this time, just needed to launch the game, did not need to relaunch the app, Frequency: one after 45 mins and second after 1 hour. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,212
    Wintermute
    edited May 28
    That new Driver 430.86 is not the fix. All you may try is running the 3 Oculus exe in Tasks as High OR Realtime (latter may cause other affects). We once needed to run OVRService as just 1 Core or more or something similar.
    NerveGear
    Would you be able to clear with message. 
    what are you exactly talking about?>
    what are the 3 Oculus exe in Tasks?
    what is "run OVRService as just 1 Core"
    Wintermute
    edited May 28
    It's 2am and trying to jog my memory. Just checked what we used to need to get rid of Flashes on the old RIFT:
    It was Tasks>Details>OVRServer_x64.exe   Right-Click>Set Affinity and select only the first 4,5,6,7 CPU I think?
    Any Tech may try this out just as they tried with RIFT S:
    Tasks>Details>OVRServer_x64.exe (make all 3 Oculus Icon exe files=)   Right-Click Priority = High OR more risk = Realtime.
    I may try these tmro also.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/646942#Comment_646942
    Wintermute
    Priority Settings did not fix it and made switching Audio tricky.
    Affinity to test next.
  • EchoWhiskeySixEchoWhiskeySix Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am also getting intermittent white flashes while playing games.  I created a ticket as well.  
    Wintermute
    edited May 28
    Here's the old post to fixing flashes with CV1. It was Cores 7&8 for VR and Games set to 1-6.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/513453#Comment_513453

"Thank you RKODEY you fixed it...
    Jumps and Flashes are fixed by setting Affinity settings: -
    Run ED then go to TASK MANAGER>DETAILS: Right-Click Affinity
    ED64: cores 1-6
    OculusVR: cores 7-8 (this file may be new in latest Public Test update)
    OVRServer_64: cores 7-8

Source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/121355-Getting-the-Best-DK2-CV1-Vive-VR-Experience-Guide-Compendium?p=5404960#post5404960 "

Others were found to be best with Games 0-3 and VR 4-7.
    NerveGear
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Here's the old post to fixing flashes with CV1. It was Cores 7&8 for VR and Games set to 1-6.

Source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/121355-Getting-the-Best-DK2-CV1-Vive-VR-Experience-Guide-Compendium?p=5404960#post5404960 "

Was this properly fixed on CV1? or is the solution still to set affinity for each of the .exe's? 
    NerveGear
    MAC_MAN86 said:

Was this properly fixed on CV1? or is the solution still to set affinity for each of the .exe's? 
    Wintermute
    It was a temp fix on CV1 until their Software prevented over hogging same Cores. I will be trying this if after the newly installed USB3.0 PCIe FebSmart with Renasas Driver fails. (same one used by Startech)
  • GrOOvKe_BeGrOOvKe_Be Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i have the same problem brand new rift S ... should i RMA it?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,339 Valuable Player
    i have the same problem brand new rift S ... should i RMA it?
    I personally would hang in there a little longer and see if a firmware update addresses it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • sraurasraura Posts: 226
    Nexus 6
    edited June 9
    Yep I've been having those (rather rare) random flashes too since day 1, but can live with them (for now) while waiting for official fix. Hopefully cable replacement is not needed.

It might be related to this: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/685356/#Comment_685356 but I'm not gonna change those settings myself.

Also after reseating the cable on the headset side (fully disconnecting and putting it back) may have fixed the problem for me.

edit: ...or not - flashes are still there.
  • wooliudowooliudo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i just got it yesterday and can report that i'm having the same issue. On GPU (1080ti) driver version 430.86 with latest firmware for the headset

on top of that, i'm also having constant tracking jitters as well. The first time setup wasn't smooth either. It couldn't track the controllers position and thus I couldn't set the floor height (the floor was sitting above my chest). Really frustrating experience to be honest
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 341
    Trinity
    "Jitters and stuttering" can be caused by hardware monitoring software, as they it creates additional strain on your hardware that's more noticeable while in VR.

If you have anything like MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precison, or anything like that be sure to disable it.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    NerveGear

I've noticed that i can replicate this problem using Fallout 4 VR. Just browsing the menu on the title screen for 2-3mins will show the white flash without fail.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 341
    Trinity
    I understand the annoyance with the static flash, but the Uservoice is a suggestion page for new features; it is NOT the appropriate place for "pleas fix this bug" complaints.

You can instead use these forums or use the Feedback option of the Oculus desktop software to give bug feedback: 

What we have now is a bug (that I also encounter while using my S). Oculus are well aware of the issue and have stated they are looking into the static flash bug.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Wintermute
    I spam the hell out of that FEEDBACK link as it is the only official portal. Obviously they don't bother reading it else they'd have sorted simple stuff by now like switches/binds we request which are hardly difficult to implement! It's the same as a line of code in AutoHotkey. Listening to our Feedback means opening up their ears to want to keep us happy.